Eye Lash Curlers - Does it really matter?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have a MAC eyelash curler that i have been using for 2-3 years.

i was just wondering, do u have to replace the rubber strip on it often? does it really matter?

plus

i heard Kevyn Aucoin and Shu Eumura eye lash curlers have a high rating on Allure's best of 2004 issue. what makes them so different? how can u defferenciate a good or bad eyelash curler?
confused.gif

I do replace it because it wears out and I *think* its bad for your lashes. Why else would you replace them? They probably get worn out from squeezing it.

I would think you'd want to replace the strip periodically for hygenic reasons; just like how you shouldn't use mascara or eyeshadow for too long. I have noticed that once the strip ages and gets hard, it's not as effective curling my lashes ... now as for what makes a high-end brand better than a low-end, I have no idea, I get all the curl I want from my good old Maybelline curler
wink.gif

YES- replace the strip periodically. Check the strip to make sure its still good. When we were about 25 years old my best friend went to curl her lashes and didn't notice that the sponge strip had dry rotted and fallen off. Anyways she sheared off about 2/3 of her lashes on her left eye. It looked so strange and it took about two years for them to grow back and look normal again. I always check my curler now!

Originally Posted by sugersoul i heard Kevyn Aucoin and Shu Eumura eye lash curlers have a high rating on Allure's best of 2004 issue. what makes them so different? how can u defferenciate a good or bad eyelash curler?
confused.gif

I have the Shu and I like it mainly because of the shape. It works better than others I've tried. I haven't yet tried the KA one, but there is definitely a difference in curlers. You just have to find one that works well as far as shape and comfort for your eyes. Some are too wide and flat and don't go well with the natural contour of the eye, you just have to find what works for you.And yes, you should replace the rubber part when it gets worn down. I clean mine with alcohol after every use, so it does get worn alot sooner.

I have Shiseido Eyelash Curler. Very similar to Shu Uemura, (or so I heard). I replace it when I find that it's not that effective anymore, which is generally when the pad wears down.

How I generally differentiate between a good and a bad eyelash curler is the dome shape of the pad. It you notice the Shu Uemura/shiseido/Red Earth/Revlon, they all have a black (though I doubt that doesn't really matter) dome shape pad. If you go find a cheap brand, like La Cross, the pad is really long, flat, and white.

I use the one from Ultima II - that I got as a freebie in a GWP set. I love it! It's really 'firm' - if that's a good way to describe it. LOL Basically I don't have to squeeze the handles that much and it's got a nice tight seal around my lashes. I always get a perfect curl... :icon_love

I have Shiseido's lash curler and I love it. I gave my Shu Uemura lash curler to my sister and she loves it. She says "where has it been all my life?"
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
She is 43 years old
rolleyes.gif

I´ve been wondering too if I should get one. my mum has a cheap eyelash curler that´s pretty old (and she never replaces the rubber thingy), and I tried it and it made NO difference at all.

it´s only supposed to curl your lashes, right? mine are naturally curled up, and when I wear certain mascaras, they curl up even more. so would it make any difference if I, say, bought the Shu Uemura eye lash curler? cause there is no sense in spending all that money on it if it doesn´t make any difference for my already curled lashes.

As my eyelashes are short and straight it makes a big difference using a curler, but lately (actually the last years) the curl dosn´t last. As soon as my mascara has dried my lashes are more or less straight again
icon_cry.gif
. I thought it was my curler getting old and got a new one, but this did´t make any difference. So I was wondering if the mascara formulas has changed (have tried all sort of different ones).

So how to keep the obtained curl??

//Jenny

Originally Posted by Tussan As my eyelashes are short and straight it makes a big difference using a curler, but lately (actually the last years) the curl dosn´t last. As soon as my mascara has dried my lashes are more or less straight again
icon_cry.gif
. I thought it was my curler getting old and got a new one, but this did´t make any difference. So I was wondering if the mascara formulas has changed (have tried all sort of different ones).
So how to keep the obtained curl??

//Jenny

If you blast the curler with a hair dryer for a second (and let it COOL first!) then curl your lashes - it'll hold a lot longer & you get a better curl
icon_wink.gif

I love my Shiseido and Shu eyelash curlers... I think the brand really does make a big difference.

But I'm worried that I don't know when to change the pad... the ones I've had before I've lost before it got to that point. Hm.

I have Shiseido's eyelash curler but i rarely use it! My lashes are like Arielle's, they're naturally curly & long so mascara does the trick for me..

Originally Posted by Laura I have Shiseido's eyelash curler but i rarely use it! My lashes are like Arielle's, they're naturally curly & long so mascara does the trick for me.. ok so I guess girls like us don´t really need an eyelash curler. good to know, oh well I might get a cheap one first and try it but I doubt it will make a difference for me if it didn´t make one for your lashes, Laura

Originally Posted by elljmz YES- replace the strip periodically. Check the strip to make sure its still good. When we were about 25 years old my best friend went to curl her lashes and didn't notice that the sponge strip had dry rotted and fallen off. Anyways she sheared off about 2/3 of her lashes on her left eye. It looked so strange and it took about two years for them to grow back and look normal again. I always check my curler now! o wow..thanx for the scary warning! it's just that i haven't been able to find MAC's eyelash curler refill online! i brought one's at the drugstore before, and they don't fit MAC's wide eyelash curler!
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Arielle ok so I guess girls like us don´t really need an eyelash curler. good to know, oh well I might get a cheap one first and try it but I doubt it will make a difference for me if it didn´t make one for your lashes, Laura you so lucky girl! my eyelashes are short, skinny, and straight!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sugersoul you so lucky girl! my eyelashes are short, skinny, and straight!
smile.gif
well mine are skinny too, just long and curled. I always envy girls with full, voluminous lashes
smile.gif

Lucky you!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23 I never use a lash curler,never felt i needed it ,just mascara.

I love my curler - makes a huge difference for me!
smile.gif
Mine's from Revlon, the one in the soft plastic pouch. It comes with a replacement pad, which I like.

Latest posts

Back