eye makeup ideas/suggestions

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
here's a couple of questions for you guys...

how many of you put mascara on your bottom lashes?

how do you apply makeup to the lower lid? liner/eyeshadow/nothing...

What do you recommend for the lower lid for an everyday look. My eyes are so big, that if I'm not careful with the way I apply my makeup they can look bug eyed or harsh yet if I don't apply anything to the lower lid I think I look too blah!!

So any suggestions?

Originally Posted by lola here's a couple of questions for you guys...
how many of you put mascara on your bottom lashes?

how do you apply makeup to the lower lid? liner/eyeshadow/nothing...

What do you recommend for the lower lid for an everyday look. My eyes are so big, that if I'm not careful with the way I apply my makeup they can look bug eyed or harsh yet if I don't apply anything to the lower lid I think I look too blah!!

So any suggestions?

I usually always put mascara on my lower lashes... especially since after I'm done with my eyeshadow, some of it has gotten on my lashes and they look 'frosted'.. lol so I just put a light coat on the bottoms, and heavier on top. On me, I think it just looks more balanced. I will usually put eyeliner along my lashline. Since I've gotten the MAC fluidlines, I've sometimes also put liner on the inner rims of my eyes too... just to give it more of a smoky look... If you have large eyes and want to downplay them a bit, you might want to line the inner rims only. This will give the illusion of smaller eyes, since the dark color will add a shadow - (especially black liner) I'll also sometimes put some of the shadow I use under the bottom lashes to keep the color look 'flowing' around my eye without any harsh stops or gaps... it really depends on how you like to wear it, what colors, and where... But I think on the inner rims will help you make your eyes look smaller if that is the look you are trying to achieve..
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Thanks for the ideas. I do sometimes put liner on my inner rim, however my eyes are so sensitive that they get bloodshot so quickly. It drives me crazy. I get so frustrated because I think my eyes are my best feature however like I said at the same time they're so sensitive that I have to be careful.

I think I'm just going through a makeup rut. I'm planning on going to the MAC counter and seeing what ideas they can give me. Do you recommend MAC or does another cosmetics line have better makeup artists?

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I usually always put mascara on my lower lashes... especially since after I'm done with my eyeshadow, some of it has gotten on my lashes and they look 'frosted'.. lol so I just put a light coat on the bottoms, and heavier on top. On me, I think it just looks more balanced. I will usually put eyeliner along my lashline. Since I've gotten the MAC fluidlines, I've sometimes also put liner on the inner rims of my eyes too... just to give it more of a smoky look... If you have large eyes and want to downplay them a bit, you might want to line the inner rims only. This will give the illusion of smaller eyes, since the dark color will add a shadow - (especially black liner) I'll also sometimes put some of the shadow I use under the bottom lashes to keep the color look 'flowing' around my eye without any harsh stops or gaps... it really depends on how you like to wear it, what colors, and where... But I think on the inner rims will help you make your eyes look smaller if that is the look you are trying to achieve..
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by lola Thanks for the ideas. I do sometimes put liner on my inner rim, however my eyes are so sensitive that they get bloodshot so quickly. It drives me crazy. I get so frustrated because I think my eyes are my best feature however like I said at the same time they're so sensitive that I have to be careful.
I think I'm just going through a makeup rut. I'm planning on going to the MAC counter and seeing what ideas they can give me. Do you recommend MAC or does another cosmetics line have better makeup artists?

The MAC fluidlines are nice because they are a gel, and not liquid (they kind of have a greasy look in the pot) and actually I have really sensitive eyes too... especially since I wear contacts. And they tend to water up at times, so usually any Kohl liner on the inner rim would be gone in 10 min! but the fluidlines set in a few seconds and once they are dry they stay on ALL DAY! And this is the first that didn't irritate my eyes at all... just be careful when you wash it off, b/c it stings a bit if you get it in your eye.
redface.gif

Sorry to sound so stupid here, but I have never been to the mac counter and I have heard more than a few times about fluid lines. I am assuming that that means liquid eye liner?

Originally Posted by lola Thanks for the ideas. I do sometimes put liner on my inner rim, however my eyes are so sensitive that they get bloodshot so quickly. It drives me crazy. I get so frustrated because I think my eyes are my best feature however like I said at the same time they're so sensitive that I have to be careful.

MAC has good makeup artists. Also lines like Stila and Laura Mercier have makeup artists. I also use mascara on both top and bottom lashes. It makes my eyes look more balanced that way. I do line the lower lashes as well but I only line the base of the lashes not the inner rim. I don't do the inner rim because I'm not too good at it, actually I've never done it. I like the look on other women but somehow I don't think it would look the same on me.

I would try MAC... I never had anything MAC up until about 2 weeks ago or so... but everyone on here was always raving about it, and their Face of the Day looks were so nice, that I went to Macy's to have a look (I also thought MAC was really expensive, and I was used to Ulta & drugstore prices, so I always thought I could find a comparable product cheaper) but actually MAC really isn't that expensive for what it is... the colors are very pigmented, so you really dont use a lot. The stuff seems to last forever... even the shadows I've been using most still look brand new... so I would see what they can do for you - they have so much stuff that it seems they can find something for everyone. I want to venture out onto their foundations as soon as I run out of the ones I have. I hear their foundations are very good.... I already am in love with the eyeshadows and the fluidliners, so I figure I'd keep up the good streak I'm having there! LOL Also their blushes are great too! After hearing & seeing thier 'Sunbasque" blush on here... I got it last week, and like everything I've tried from them.. I love that too!
tongue.gif
I've definitely become a new fan of MAC !

Originally Posted by tylda1969 Sorry to sound so stupid here, but I have never been to the mac counter and I have heard more than a few times about fluid lines. I am assuming that that means liquid eye liner? Fluidlines are new eyeliners from MAC. They are a gel and they come in a small jar.
http://www.maccosmetics.com/template...CT_ID=PROD7715

Originally Posted by tylda1969 Sorry to sound so stupid here, but I have never been to the mac counter and I have heard more than a few times about fluid lines. I am assuming that that means liquid eye liner? You don't sound stupid!
eek.gif
NOT AT ALL!!!!! That's what we're here for! To learn new things and share ideas, so that we can all be happy with our makeup and looks!
tongue.gif
The fluidlines are actually a gel... not a liquid. They aren't like the texture of hair gel or anything (which is what I thought at first! LOL) but they are actually feel kind of like *as my boyfriend says* 'Car grease" (typical guy! LOL) they are smooth, I would say a buttery texture, but they set really quick, and are very vivid in color. They last and stay put until you wash it off... (sometimes you even have to scrub a bit.. it's on there!) so you don't get that raccoon eye mid-day. I would get one in a color you are familiar with at first, and a small eyeliner brush and just start out slow... you'll get the hang of it soon, and then once you decide if that is what you like, they have tons of other colors to try out!
tongue.gif
Some people even use them on the entire lid as a shadow base... which I assume works well since they stay on so well... so just try one if you'd like, and just have fun with it... Just remember they set in about 10 sec. so if you like to smudge, make sure you have that q-tip handy!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by tylda1969 What kind of applicator is used to apply? You can use a small angled brush. That is what I use and you just have to play with it til you get the hang of it. If you like MAC brushes, you can use #208 or 209. I have both and I like them.

Good to know, thanks for the help. I'll have to check them out. How long do they last once applied?

Originally Posted by Mariposa You can use a small angled brush. That is what I use and you just have to play with it til you get the hang of it. If you like MAC brushes, you can use #208 or 209. I have both and I like them.

Originally Posted by tylda1969 What kind of applicator is used to apply? I have a small angled brush (like Marisol suggested) I think they say it can be used for brows too... thats the brush MAC's SA told me to use... but honestly, I think I am better off with a short thin eyeliner brush... I think the angled would be good once I get the hang of it.. I'm still so used to pencil! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
The eyeliner brush is a bit thinner, so you can add more as you feel... especially when you are first starting to use it... the angled gives a bolder line, so I think I'll move on to that once i"ve mastered it a bit more~
tongue.gif

Here's the angled brush: (MAC #208)

M45J_128.jpg

And the liner brush (MAC #209) (this is what I currently use... although mine isn't MAC... I got it at Michael's craft store! LOL
icon_redface.gif
Still works though! LOL)

M45F_128.jpg

Originally Posted by tylda1969 Good to know, thanks for the help. I'll have to check them out. How long do they last once applied? Honestly... All day! lol I sometimes have to scrub it off with a washcloth! But with an eye makeup remover... its a little easier... but they don't BUDGE at ALL!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by tylda1969 Good to know, thanks for the help. I'll have to check them out. How long do they last once applied? They last all day. I am always touching/rubbing my eyes because they tend to get dry due to my contact lenses. They dont smudge and once you put them on, they stay on. I use MAC's eye make up remover and it removes the color very easily.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Honestly... All day! lol I sometimes have to scrub it off with a washcloth! But with an eye makeup remover... its a little easier... but they don't BUDGE at ALL!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
You are too fast for me. I think we are sharing the same brain. hee hee
tongue.gif

I agree... they don't budge at all. The Fluidlines are a great product at a low price IMO.

I personally don't do anything to my lower lashes or lids most of the time. Too lazy...
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Honestly... All day! lol I sometimes have to scrub it off with a washcloth! But with an eye makeup remover... its a little easier... but they don't BUDGE at ALL!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Oh my gosh, you all are so good at replying. I love these forums!!!
icon_lol.gif
I actually ordered the fluidline in blacktrack about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it for my upper lid. I line the inside of my upper lid with that. I got that idea from Trisha. I used to do it with pencil but it would smudge terribly, so then I tried stila's smudge pot and that worked nicely but I have to say I do prefer the MAC.

I guess tomorrow night I'll play with lining the inside of my lower rim with it.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 The MAC fluidlines are nice because they are a gel, and not liquid (they kind of have a greasy look in the pot) and actually I have really sensitive eyes too... especially since I wear contacts. And they tend to water up at times, so usually any Kohl liner on the inner rim would be gone in 10 min! but the fluidlines set in a few seconds and once they are dry they stay on ALL DAY! And this is the first that didn't irritate my eyes at all... just be careful when you wash it off, b/c it stings a bit if you get it in your eye.
redface.gif

Originally Posted by lola Oh my gosh, you all are so good at replying. I love these forums!!!
icon_lol.gif
I actually ordered the fluidline in blacktrack about 2 weeks ago and absolutely love it for my upper lid. I line the inside of my upper lid with that. I got that idea from Trisha. I used to do it with pencil but it would smudge terribly, so then I tried stila's smudge pot and that worked nicely but I have to say I do prefer the MAC.
I guess tomorrow night I'll play with lining the inside of my lower rim with it.

Being able to apply it to my lower rim is one of the reason's why I love Fluidlines. WHen I was @ MAC on Saturday, the MA there told me that they aren't a limited edition. I just hope they come out with more colors...

Originally Posted by lola Oh my gosh, you all are so good at replying. I love these forums!!!
icon_lol.gif

No problem-o!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I usually don't do the inner rims either - probably b/c I never had anything that stayed on so well! but they do look good lined when you line all around and go for a smoky look - it helps make the whites of your eyes stand out a lot!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Mariposa You are too fast for me. I think we are sharing the same brain. hee hee
tongue.gif
You got me on the earlier ones! But yeah, I think we are splitting some brain cells here! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back