Eyeliner Question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be a really silly question, but I was reading one of my magazines and it states to put eyeliner on the inner rim of the upper lid. Maybe I'm a dork, but how do you exactly do that? I know how to line the inner rim of my bottom lid, but for some reason, I can't seem to line the inner rim of my top lid. Did I read this wrong, or maybe am I applying it incorrectly? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi! Use a soft pencil, preferably a chunky one. Flip your lashes up and expose the upper inner lid. Take your pencil and line the rim. I also dot liner between the upper lashes. This gives a smoldering, thick-lashed look.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby Hi! Use a soft pencil, preferably a chunky one. Flip your lashes up and expose the upper inner lid. Take your pencil and line the rim. I also dot liner between the upper lashes. This gives a smoldering, thick-lashed look. I agree. It makes the lashes look alot thicker, but after a long day sometimes I notice that the liner has made its way to my bottom lashline, giving me racoon eyes-- definitely carry a mirror with you if you're going to line the upper inner lid so you can do quick touch-ups
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by BeneBaby Hi! Use a soft pencil, preferably a chunky one. Flip your lashes up and expose the upper inner lid. Take your pencil and line the rim. I also dot liner between the upper lashes. This gives a smoldering, thick-lashed look. Thanks for the tips. May try this tomorrow.

I do line my upper inner rims quite often, it's great once you get the hang of it. I kind of scribble on that inner rim, where the lashes meet the rim so that some of the pencil is going in or between the lashes. I usually do this with a dark brown pencil versus a black one, unless I'm going really smokey and dramatic, then I use black. For casual/daytime, the dark brown defines the eye and makes the lashes look thicker, w/o being too dark.

EEEkkk i never heard of people lining their upper rims.. BeneBaby, Ikebana or Glamslam.. do any of ye have pics of this??

Originally Posted by Laura EEEkkk i never heard of people lining their upper rims.. BeneBaby, Ikebana or Glamslam.. do any of ye have pics of this?? I would like to see some pics too,does it really make a difference?And does the "white eyeliner on rims"-method (for making your eyes look more open and bright) go on the upper rims too?

I'd be scared to poke my eyes out
icon_redface.gif

Wow! I've never heard of that either. I think I will stick with lining the outer top lid.

Sorry, my digital camera hasn't been working for the past year
icon_redface.gif
icon_frown.gif
, but I'm sure other girls could provide you with pics. Anyway, I don't suggest lining the inner upper rims all the time, as the end result is similar to if you were to just smudge kohl liner into your upper lashline. Plus, this technique takes awhile to master without poking your eye out... but pain is beauty, right?Hehehe
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Eva121 I would like to see some pics too,does it really make a difference?And does the "white eyeliner on rims"-method (for making your eyes look more open and bright) go on the upper rims too?

I'd be scared to poke my eyes out
icon_redface.gif

I've tried it a couple of times and decided it was a lot of fussing for something that didn't make too much of a difference anyway.
I don't have a very steady hand (genetic nervous problem) so I don't tend to do it
icon_cry.gif

Trisha if you could do and a tutorial with this that would be perfect!!To learn exactly how to do this!

Originally Posted by Trisha I do! it does take practice but it gives a really nice intense smokey look! it tickles to line the upper inner rim at first but its worth it, i'll try & take a pic soon! x

Yeah I'll post a pic today!

Trisha, LMAO, your signature slogan said "Do it with Trisha!" My goodness...
icon_lol.gif

Shoot, my pics came out bad. I can never get the clarity in closeup shots. You probably can't tell, but...

1. Naked eye

2. Just bronzey brown eyeshadow and dark brown pencil above the upper lashline.

3. Added black pencil to the upper inner eyelid and black mascara.

There were actually a bunch more pics, I tried to show the difference between just only outer eyeliner, vs. adding inner eyeliner. Most of the other pics were blurry or just didn't look right. Sorry!
rolleyes.gif

I like how this technique makes an unbroken lash line, no gap between the pencil line and the lashes. No skin shows through. It makes the lash line look 10 times thicker, w/o having to pile on too much mascara. And it's not hard! Just use a nice soft pencil, look way up, and practice.

I tried this last night, and it is pretty easy... I just hold my lashes up to my brow bone, and use a soft pencil (it has to be very soft, otherwise it pokes!),and I like how it defines my eyes and lashes without looking makeup-y. I will be practicing this technique more!

I know lining the inner rim of the upper lid makes a lot of difference it makes the eye look bigger. I do not do it but definitely use the eyeliner toline my upper lid from outside.

Can anyone tell me whether blue eyepencils can be used to line the upper lid from outside...how would it look..?? crazy

Hi Girls,

I'm new to this site, I usually just read and read and read, however tonight I'm writing!!! Trish, I want to tell you how gorgeous your eyes are. I'm trying this technique tomorrow!!! Great Topic!!!

THe best liner I have found for this is Smashbox Jet Set liner. The brush is crooked and the liner is waterproof. It looks so good when you are done.

Latest posts

Back