eyeliner

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I look weird in eyeliner. Like too overdone or something. Am I doing something wrong? I would love to do a great smokey eye look like I see pictures of, but I can't get eyeliner down
icon_cry.gif

What colors do you use?? Sometimes a dark brown is nice if you find black too much for you
smile.gif

what kind do you use?

try using a eye shadow that gives a softer look/line.

of course you can get a more defined line witht he way you apply it.

like a brown would work well instead of black. like rummy (from mac's d'bohemia collection), or embark that has more of a red tone to it, or mystery which is darker than the other two. those are the only ones i have. you can always find another shade that you like though.

(sorry, all i know the most is mac. lol)

I tried Prestige black today since I am African American (black) whatever people are using these days lol I thought that's what I was supposed to use?

Originally Posted by erica_1020 I tried Prestige black today since I am African American (black) whatever people are using these days lol I thought that's what I was supposed to use? I love Prestige waterproof liners...try using Charcoal Brown or Suede...dark brown colors are usually way more flattering than basic blacks. Start with a thin line and build up and smudge it out so it's not so harsh...you can either use an eyeliner brush or some flat brush or a q-tip. The smokey look would look great on you, you just have to learn how to do it in a way that's most flattering for you eye and face shape...not everyone can go super smoky, you have to start out subtle.

Originally Posted by erica_1020 I think I look weird in eyeliner. Like too overdone or something. Am I doing something wrong? I would love to do a great smokey eye look like I see pictures of, but I can't get eyeliner down
icon_cry.gif
I have the same problem! What I do is I use a black liquid eyeliner on the outer corners of my eyes..It does wonders for me! Even if it's a little thin line

I agree with envy, try using a pencil liner (as opposed to liquid) and smudging it a little, or using an eyeshadow to line (you have to have a very pigmented e/s for this to work though, most of my drugstore brands aren't good enough quality for this). Liquid liners usually give a harsher, more defined line.

Also try other colors, depending on what eyeshadow you're wearing (if any) ... browns are a nice alternative (and you can try anything from a very dark brown to a more medium brown, depending on what look you want!), and charcoal grays are good if you are doing a smokey gray look. You can even experiment with colored liners if you want to get adventurous, plum purples can be fun, and I have a bright turquoise liner I use sometimes!

Another thing I've found is that my eyes look a lot better when I only use liner on the upper lid and not on the lower lid ... when I line both lids, it just makes my small eyes look smaller, and my makeup stands out more than my eyes!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Msfashionguru UD's smudge pot? I thought that was for the brows? i think charms is talking about stila smudgepots for lining

Originally Posted by erica_1020 I tried Prestige black today since I am African American (black) whatever people are using these days lol I thought that's what I was supposed to use? I've found that if black is too harsh (but never for me because I love the dramatic look of black eyeliner), you could always use black-brown... I like revlon eyeliners best... but I've even had success with cheapies like the Mary Kate and Ashley line...

If black is too harsh, I think Revlon Colorstay e/l in Black Brown is a nice alternative. I'm pretty much a black e/l only girl, but I do like the Revlon e/l!! Also, if you're finding it too look weird, try lining just on the top lashline. I usually just line on the top most days. HTHS!

I use a pencil from Clinique-Eye shading pencil in Almost Black. Black pencils are way to harsh for me and brown pencils just don't look right on me. This color is perfect! For a smoky eye I line my upper and lower lash lines (not the inner rims) with the pencil and then I put on over the top of the pencil some Bobbi Brown Shimmer Eyewash in Stone. It is not your traditional smoky eye but I always get tons of compliments on my eyes. By the way, I have brown hair and brown eyes.

I understand what you mean (if I'm AA should I use black lol) But for most that dye their hair dark brown or Auburn (I dye mine jet black so I use an off black liner) it is a big clash.

However if your hair is off black or very dark brown try using on your top lid just behind your lashes a Charcol Grey eyebrow powder with a slant brush. It will give you the smoke look you want and hopefully you will feel more comfortable with it. If your hair is a nice brown, the girls have given good suggestion on brown liners
claps.gif

Try to line only the outer eye, than it's not so dramatical, but you get a nice eye shape!

Latest posts

Back