Eyeshadow and Mascara Tips

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Eye Color Rules

eyeclrtip.jpg

<!-- End: byline -->

<!-- End: Related Links --><!-- V/5 generated DART tag v2.1 --><!-- sstype=other --><!--DART params(5|4tbw|8htf|/v_beauty/makeup/lashes:230263)--><!-- Template Id = 770 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash with OPAQUE VALUE) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><NOEMBED></NOEMBED><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- End DART Tag -->

<!-- End: advert -->

<!-- End: advertWrapper --><!-- Article Content -->• Keep deeper colors on the lid.

• Use lighter colors on the brow bone.

• For a casual but polished look, sweep one shade from lashes to brow bone.

• Use cream shadows sparingly -- the colors tend to be very vivid.

• Eye gloss is the newest trend. It adds a sheer shine to lids, but don't try it unless you know you can carry it off -- it can look greasy and inappropriate.

• Apply powder eyeliners wet for more intense color.

• White, pink and yellow eyeliner pencils tend to make the eye look open and brighter. Blue counteracts redness, and black will give you a sultry look.

• In order to make eyeliner easy to apply, manufacturers sometimes make it so creamy it doesn't stay put. You can use a matching eyeshadow or powder liner to set your eyeliner.

Matching Eye Shadow

<!-- End: contenthead -->by Tyrone Traylor

<!-- End: byline --><!-- Begin: Related Links -->Q. Eye shadows always look so pretty in the package, but they never look the same on my eyelids. What can I do to make sure the color on my eyes matches the color in the package?

A. This is one of the most common questions I was asked when I worked in department stores. The funny thing is I was always able to make eye shadows look true to color on any face, and I didn’t understand what the problem was once customers got home! It turns out to be one of those things that you would never think not to do as a makeup artist, and never think to do if you’re not a makeup artist.

If your eye shadow doesn’t match what you see in the package, it’s usually for one of the following reasons:

• Your eyelids are
hyperpigmented-- a darker color than the rest of your face.
  • Your eyelids may be oily. Oily skin can make any color look blotchy and darker.
  • Your eyes may be deep-set. I’ve seen people use a great color on their lid only to have it disappear the minute they open their eyes.
All of these situations have the same remedy. First, after you have properly cleansed your eye area, apply
conceale rto your entire eyelid. This should instantly brighten up the entire space between your eyebrow and lash line. Second, brush loose powder onto your lid. This will set the concealer and control the oiliness. Finally, you should then be able to apply your shadows and have them register their true colors.

If your eyes are deep-set, apply a highlight shade to the lid and a medium neutral tone on the brow bone. This will give you a more balanced and brighter look.

The Importance of Mascara Brushes

<!-- End: contenthead -->

mascara_brush.jpg

<!-- End: Related Links --><!-- V/5 generated DART tag v2.1 --><!-- sstype=other --><!--DART params(5|4tbw|8hsz|/v_beauty/makeup/lashes:230249)--><!-- Template Id = 770 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash with OPAQUE VALUE) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><NOEMBED></NOEMBED><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- End DART Tag -->

<!-- End: advert -->

<!-- End: advertWrapper --><!-- Article Content -->Mascara brushes are actually more important than the formulation of the mascara itself. Most top companies actually patent their brush shapes, but not their formulas. The rule of thumb is: Mascara wands with closer bristles allow for a thicker application; longer bristles are better for sheer, natural-looking coats to separate and define lashes.

Fantastic article rev...I got the fact of oily lid.

Thanks for sharing...

Originally Posted by Diane All of these situations have the same remedy. First, after you have properly cleansed your eye area, apply

conceale rto your entire eyelid. This should instantly brighten up the entire space between your eyebrow and lash line. Second, brush loose powder onto your lid. This will set the concealer and control the oiliness. Finally, you should then be able to apply your shadows and have them register their true colors.

I always do this (except I use foundation instead of concealer). The powder seems to be the key -- when I use foundation and powder, my eyeliner and eye shadow will last long past the workday even though I have very deep-set eyes!

Originally Posted by Diane If your eyes are deep-set, apply a highlight shade to the lid and a medium neutral tone on the brow bone. This will give you a more balanced and brighter look. I have seen a lot of girls in my area wearing a shimmery white-ish shade over their whole lid, with little or no color on their browbone. I tried this and it really does brighten up my eyes! Plus the silvery-white shadow I've been using (L'Oreal Color Fresco in Snowflake) contrasts with my blue eyes, making them stand out! Even my husband loves the white shadow, and he's never commented on my eye makeup before!
smile.gif

Great tips!

I have deep set, hyperpigmented eyelids as well. It's tricky to copy looks from magazines, especially because the majority of models have almond shaped eyes, less prominent browbones & heavier lids.

I find it best to keep dark colors away from the inner corners of my eye and to use deeper tones to contour the outer "V" instead. Otherwise, my eyes look very sunken! Gals with deep set eyes should also be careful when highlighting the browbone -- your eyes can appear hooded if you highlight too much.

Eyeshadow primers rock my world, especially Smashbox's Lip & Lid primer.
smile.gif
Works much better than any foundation/concealor that I've found.

Mary Kay as a product that you add before putting on any shadow or liner. Can't think of the name of it but it never fails for me. But I put a light color in the corner of my eyes by my nose and it brightens them. I have been doing it for years and I have seen it just really start showing up with models the past few years.

I really enjoyed the tips but what about curved wands does that make a differences?

I have baby blues with really light lashes but I buck the trend and wear black mascara. Why is it said that with my color eyes I should not be wearing black mascara? Blue mascara gives my eyes a more of a red rinded eyes.

Is there anyway I could pull off wearing Blue mascara?

Latest posts

Back