Eyeshadow for dummies

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll probably ask a number of questions here, but I'll start with...

What makes MAC shadows so good? What is the consistency
icon_question.gif
What is the difference b/w those and drugstore brands
icon_question.gif
((Obviously there is one b/c I can't seem to create an eye look even close to any of yall)).

How do I get the colors so packed, flawless, etc
icon_question.gif

Mine seem to be more of a translucent powder by the time I end up applying it. How do I get more of a matte look
icon_question.gif

What are the MUST have brushes for eyelooks, particularly creases
icon_question.gif

TIA
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha Heres goes Melissa, my answers are in bold!

icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
((Obviously there is one b/c I can't seem to create an eye look even close to any of yall)). its colour selection and range of finishes, though i do find MAC to be hit and miss so it'd be better to go to a counter and have a play! that said the Veluxe Pearl finish is awesome, kinda close to Stila quality so i'd start with some of them!

icon_question.gif

goat hair brushes tend to pack on colour more than any other type of hair IMO, MAC 239 is fab for packing on lid colour

Mine seem to be more of a translucent powder by the time I end up applying it. How do I get more of a matte look
icon_question.gif
i dont get what you mean, do you mean you want the e.s more opaque as opposed to sheer?

icon_question.gif

MAC 217, 219, 222 (all goat again x)

Trisha from thes eye brushes which one is the best to use e/s in the crease? I have Stila's #5 but when I use it in the crease the e/s barely shows up!!

Trisha I've tried once #7 at a Stila counter and it was a little to harsh,and #20 it's not here in Greece!Is anything else more softer?

Originally Posted by Trisha #5 is best for placement of more matte e/s all over the eyelid from lashline to crease! a better crease brush would be #7 and #20! x

Trisha - Thanks for the Fab response. Though I hear MAC is all the rage, I'm open to any suggestions you have regardless of brand.

Originally Posted by Trisha Mine seem to be more of a translucent powder by the time I end up applying it. How do I get more of a matte look
icon_question.gif
i dont get what you mean, do you mean you want the e.s more opaque as opposed to sheer?
In response to the above question....YES, I would like a more opaque color. For example, on your eyelook below I could find lookalikes in my mu stash, but when I try to apply them it looks nothing like what you've got....just a dull sheer tint. 've even tryed dampening my brush. (That's probably a no-no! - hence the reason for the name of the thread).

JuxtGuacamoleTemperleyBitterBluePee.jpg

Trisha I just saw mac's #222 in the mac's site,it's really good!Do you use this brush?I want to have more color in the crease,because my eyeshadows doesn't show up at all!What's better,#222 or Stila's #7?

Originally Posted by Trisha you do need a bit of stiffness in a crease brush to deposit colour tho Sophia.
If they dont do #20,then i'd have to say go for MAC 222 x

Thanks but I don't think I can afford to buy both!
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha i use #7 to apply crease colour then 222 to blend crease colour, hope that helps x

HI! My name is Melissa and I'm about to be a MAC addict.
icon_twisted.gif

I guess I'm going to have to run to the mall and get some loose MAC e/s's or Stila or whatever.....

Any recommendations for a neutral browns w/ a slight rosy color eye look. I like your eye looks in Jezebel/Kitten and Stila Suiteable Colors Warm. You'll probably recommend just those. Then again, based on my hair color/skin tone if you think something would be more suiteable for me please let me know.

TIA

Originally Posted by Trisha i always use Urban Decay Primer Potion as my base!
non of the e.s were used wet tho, it was really just the result of packing the colour (patting it on rather than sweeping the brush from side to side) with a dense goat hair brush either MAC 239 or Stila #15 (large end)

It does take a few layers tho! x

it does also depend on the quality of the e.s, what did you try to recreate it with?

remember too, that loose e.s will look more opaque/have more pigment than a pressed e/s as no artificial binders are used to the hold them together x

Originally Posted by eightthirty HI! My name is Melissa and I'm about to be a MAC addict.
icon_twisted.gif

I guess I'm going to have to run to the mall and get some loose MAC e/s's or Stila or whatever.....

Any recommendations for a neutral browns w/ a slight rosy color eye look. I like your eye looks in Jezebel/Kitten and Stila Suiteable Colors Warm. You'll probably recommend just those. Then again, based on my hair color/skin tone if you think something would be more suiteable for me please let me know.

TIA

Kitten & Jezebel are gorgeous colours! I'm sure they'd work for you!

Oh yeah Kitten is my everyday e/s!!!

Originally Posted by eightthirty HI! My name is Melissa and I'm about to be a MAC addict.
icon_twisted.gif

TIA

Trisha,Mac's #222 is a Pro?

Originally Posted by Trisha i use #7 to apply crease colour then 222 to blend crease colour, hope that helps x

Originally Posted by Trisha Kitten, Jezebel Twig is a classic look Melissa, you should make a 4 pan with those and maybe include a blush like Chirp ,that would be a nice 4 pan!
the Kajal pencils are up on the site now and id definitely recc those cos you can really smudge them into the lashline to get a soft rather than harsh lined look x

How do the Kajal pencils compare to the MAC kohls?

Originally Posted by kites Hi! I just want to echo what trisha has said about the brushes, I LOVE my mac 222. Have you been to the cosmetics company outlet inside off the 5th, inside discovery mills? They have tons of mac and stila brushes, for GREAT prices! I recommend checking it out if you have the time. Oooh Discover Mills/Off 5th has mac/stila brushes!!?? Do they have mu too??I live/work/breathe within minutes of D'Mills. Now I'm going to have to tie my leg to the chair so I don't go spend bookoos of money there on my lunches!!! To top it all off they've got those massage chairs. Massage chairs (not quite as good as the real thing) and shopping! What a wonderful lunch!

Seeing as people are giving you input about different brands, Another MU counter you should definitely have a look at is Chanel. They have fantastic eyeshadow quads that give velvety, semi-iridescent finishes ($55 USD per quad). I highly recommend the "Spices" and "Variatons" quads
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll give you the link:

http://www.gloss.com/product/index.j...uctID=MAEMU170

The best Chanel brushes to use for a flawless finish go as follows:

Lid:"Quick shadow brush #1" (this one's the most versatile).

Crease: "Eyeshadow crease brush #3"

Shadow/Liner Brush: "Shadow/Liner brush #4"

Good Luck!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha Bhav they are much softer/more pigmented/more smudgeable than MAC kohls, there are 8 colours at the moment and there may be a set at Christmas that is dept store only over here x Thanx!

Originally Posted by eightthirty I'll probably ask a number of questions here, but I'll start with...
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
((Obviously there is one b/c I can't seem to create an eye look even close to any of yall)).

TIA
icon_smile.gif

The only thing I love about MAC es are the amazing range of color choice. They go on rather dull and muddy and many do not go on true to color, and do not last well. This is probably heresy to say but as a former mu artist I am sticking to my guns :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Now, pigments is a different story. Their pigments are amazing and I love to use them as es. They go on sheer (unless you use the darker ones for lining accent etc) but stay true to color.
Drugstore brands for the most part have higher % of the "powder" ingredient, and less pigment. L'oreal is probably the best for drugstore shadows. Stila is my favorite es maker.

icon_question.gif

That is all in the consistency of the es, and the brush. And bit of foundation or eye base on the eye to "grab" onto the color.

icon_question.gif

icon_question.gif

The 2 brushes I use most are a small but fluffy brush to apple color all over I use Paula Dorf Eye Shadow brush), and the Mac Pencil Brush. This is THE MOST AMAZING BRUSH. It is 210 I think??. I use it for lining and crease/accent. It is a must have.

if you want cheapo drugstore makeup colors to really POP you should use a good base before you apply the e/s. i have an awesome one i would recommend but there is no lable on it...which sucks because im almost out and i have no clue what it is. i only use drugstore makeup for now because i dont have the money to afford a better quality makeup
icon_sad.gif
but ive learned to work with what i have.

Originally Posted by simplykrazy07 if you want cheapo drugstore makeup colors to really POP you should use a good base before you apply the e/s. i have an awesome one i would recommend but there is no lable on it...which sucks because im almost out and i have no clue what it is. i only use drugstore makeup for now because i dont have the money to afford a better quality makeup
icon_sad.gif
but ive learned to work with what i have. Can you describe the packaging or take a pic of it??Surely someone here can ID it for you.

Originally Posted by Trisha it was really just the result of packing the colour (patting it on rather than sweeping the brush from side to side)x So that's how you do it??!!! I've always swept the brush back and forth and never really packed it on. I've never been able to get color intense enough and now I know why. Any other tips you may have?

Yes, I finally went out and bought UD Primer and even my creamy eyeshadows adhere and stay on better with and you're right, Trisha, a little of that primer goes a long way. I'm a minimalist when it comes to make-up, but lately I've been trying to play up my eyes more. The only thing is I have big eyes (I think) and I have to be very careful not to over-shimmer/glitter them, because I think I look awful.

Latest posts

Back