Facial hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually get my eyebrows and upper lip threaded. It's basically using a thread to quickly pull the hairs out. I've been getting that done for a couple of months now and my skin is never irritated after, because I'm not burning a layer of skin off by waxing. I no longer get those annoying little breakouts right after getting my facial hair removed. It hurts a little but you get used to it and by the 3rd time I didn't really feel it.

i've heard alot about threading. is the cost about the same as getting waxed or tweezed at a spa? i know that the practice is common in the middle east.

Originally Posted by Liz What do you guys use to get rid of facial hair? Right now I use one of those little razor things that are advertised for the bikini line. sometimes i can't pluck other hairs on my face other than my eyebrows and upper lip cause i can get ingrown hairs. damn, i want laser hair removal. lol I use this...
http://www.remington-products.com/us...al/wpg150.html

It has several attachments, and all of them work! I paid under $20. It has the regular trimmer head like a lot of those stick-shaped trimmers, but it's angled and easier to use. It also has a smaller trimmer that I've found is good for between the eyebrows. That one is also good for the bikini area. In addition, it also has a larger, length-adjustable trimmer for the bikini area. It took me a long time to find a trimmer I really liked, and this one makes me happy. I'm usually apprehensive about buying things that have all these extra attachments because they usually end up not working. This one is the exception!

Threading is usually the same price as getting waxed. I go to Leeba salon which is kind of expensive for all their services but is now the only place in Boston that I can find; that does threading still. For my lip it's $11 and for my eyebrows it's $17. I don't think that's too bad because the lady who does my eyebrows is considered to be the "eyebrow lady" of boston. She's been on tv so many time for skills so I keep going back to her.

Yes that is exactly what I use. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread . I love this stuff. Its so easy. It does take a little bit of time to melt but its worth it. They also sell it on drugstore.com. I read a review on there about it and someone said if you buy the was refills you can melt them in a "dedicated to waxing coffee cup " and it works wonderfully. I'm definately going to try out that method. Great Stuff.

Originally Posted by Marisol Is this the item that you are talking about?
P6878_hero.jpg

If so, I highly recommended. I use it and love it! Doesn't hur too much and doesn't make me break out.

Originally Posted by Bhav I am seriously considering having laser on my face as i can't stand the hair on my face.But i am really nervous about actually doing it!!

I had it done, I highly rec. it! I had almost my whole face done. At the time I was a bit lighter in skin tone than I am now. The technician said mine was no problem. But it is true that darker skin tones do not get good results. Maybe now, being more tan, it wouldn't work for me, but I'm not sure. It's been a couple of years since I did it, and I need to go back. The hair has started to come back in.
Here's my take on laser:

Pros= Fast! For a whole face job, it takes maybe 5 minutes tops.

Long lasting results once the series is completed--mine lasted 2 years,

and is only growing back in a few small areas.

Cons= Painful, feels just like a rubber band snapping the skin very hard.

For a whole face, or other large area, this is gonna get really painful.

But like I mentioned above, it's over pretty quickly.

Get the EMLA cream if at all possible to help numb the area. Use an

aloe vera gel with lidocaine afterwards at home to soothe.

Expensive. I paid $179 for a full face job. (each session)

Multiple sessions needed. I had to go 4 times, about 6 weeks apart.

But after that, I was done for 2 years.

For me, it was the best thing I ever did. So worth it! I want to do my forearms too. I'm a pretty hairy gal...
icon_redface.gif

Wow Gypsy, you get an swesome price! And I think that's very fair that you get a discount when going over 4 sessions.

Yeah, I love how my skin looks and feels with the laser. So smooth, no trace of hair AT ALL, it's just gone! The laser also helps if you have minor acne or marks from past acne...it takes it away. On the downside--I had a small mole in the corner of my mouth that i liked, and my first time the technician asked if I wanted to keep it which I said yes. The second session, (same tech) she lasered over it!!! I was so mad!!! A week later it fell off!!!
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif
icon_evil.gif

Originally Posted by Gypsy I had my face lasered too and I highly rec doing it. At the place I went to, they charged 100.00 per session for 4 treatments. If the hair growth continued after the initial 4 sessions the cost for extra treatments was 45.00As for the pain factor, Glamslam's rubberband decsription is right on. I always get a kick out of estheticians and derms. When you ask them if a procedure they want to do to you is going to hurt; they always tell you the same thing....."It's a little uncomfortable" The laser did hurt only b/c I thought it was going to be JUST "a little uncomfortable". However, nothing hurts worse than getting waxed down there, so if you've dont that laser is a breeze. The reason I love laser is your skin after the hair is removed looks like you never grew hair there. For me, the area of skin I use hair removal crap on always looks a little different and feels different from the rest of my face. =)

I have chin hair and a little above my lip and I shave mine everyday. You "can not" tell at all and I always moisturize. I was so scared to do it cause I always thought of stubble but if you keep at it it doesn't get like that. I don't do my whole face though cause it doesn't need it.

I have a lot of "peach fuzz' on the sides of my cheeks... it's not really HAIR hair, but I hate it anyway... plus I have that Italian moustache & occaional chin sprout of light brown fuzz (which to me looks like a hair - but very soft - guess b/c it's a little darker, it looks like hair) I hate it ALL! I want it ALL GONE!!
icon_twisted.gif
Arms, face, legs... you name it!! ZAPPPP!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Hi. Newbie here. I forgot to mention that in my last post about the acv vs aspirin toner. I did mention it on the general boards. Anyway about facial hair. I just shave it. I am pretty hairy. I tried to using the epilator on it and I broke out . So now I just use a bic razor with my cleanser and shave it. It doesn't grow back thicker and I don't have stubble. This is what works for me. I usually do it once a week. I was afraid to do it at first, but now it's no problem.

Originally Posted by leea OK, but to wax etc, you have to have a certain length. I cannot stand the hairs I get on my chin to grow that long (and noticeable) I have tried depilatories but they just do not seem to work on facial hair (anyone know why that is?), so I end up shaving, which I hate, and get stubble after about 10-12 hours. I can't afford laser, and I've heard it's not 100percent anyway. Any other suggestions? This is really a bi problem for women over 40 (and some younger with hormonal problems)... Hi Leea, i know what you mean about facial hair! Have you tried using a growth inhibitor? This is a lotion or serum you can apply after waxing and it slows down the rate of hair growth. jOHNSON&JOHNSON make a body lotion which does the same thing but you can buy similar products for your face and use it on upperlip, chin or anywhere else. You could ask your pharmasist. Boots the chemist and QVC have products for this very reason. Good Luck hon!
213310.jpg

Originally Posted by Neha Shoor Hey Pauline. does these products really works??...actually i live in india...n i dont think these produts will be available here. i am not able to read the products name properly ...can u write them for me..so that i can ask my friends to get them for me. Hi Neha Shoor, Yes these products really do work. I use it myself.Do you have any large chemists in India? I will go and see if i can find out other names of the growth inhibitor for you.The one i mentioned is called Surgi Facial hair stop. It is sold in Boots the chemist.

Please give me 10 mins and i will see what other makes i can find for you. BRB

Hi., Nea Shoor,

I have found a place in the UK that will ship to India.They have extra strenth hair inhibitor as well. You can email them at [email protected]

They told me that you would have to pay by bank transfer.

If you need further help, let me know. Do you have a paypal account?

Originally Posted by Merri I've been reading this thread, what is a good sugaring for facial hair, wax has been irritating my skin latelly???
icon_sad.gif
Hi Merri, sugaring is better than waxing as waxing takes off a layer of skinh.Sugaring is also less painful as it only takes away the hair. After that you could apply some of the hair inhibitor a few times per week.

Originally Posted by Neha Shoor Hey thanks. I will mail them and let you know if i need further help of yours. Ok Great, Good Luck!

I completely forgot about this thread!

Well, i've got a consulatation on Thursday at the laser clinic, but from what i have read about their lasers, they do one which is good for use for asian skins.

I'm not sure what the cost is going to be for my whole face but i imagine to pay in pounds what you guys paid in dollars!

Also, i'm very very nervous about getting my face done - i have 4 weddings to go to this summer and i don't want to risk not looking good for them! Vain i know, but i'm on a man hunt!!!
wink.gif

So, i thought i'd do my underarms first, see how that goes and then maybe do my face.

Originally Posted by Bhav I completely forgot about this thread!
Well, i've got a consulatation on Thursday at the laser clinic, but from what i have read about their lasers, they do one which is good for use for asian skins.

I'm not sure what the cost is going to be for my whole face but i imagine to pay in pounds what you guys paid in dollars!

Also, i'm very very nervous about getting my face done - i have 4 weddings to go to this summer and i don't want to risk not looking good for them! Vain i know, but i'm on a man hunt!!!
wink.gif

So, i thought i'd do my underarms first, see how that goes and then maybe do my face.

FANTSATIC Bhav!! I want to try laser treatment for hair removal too and have been thinking about it for some time. I absoloutley hate getting my under arms waxed, i find it so painful. It'd be great not to have to bother with wazing etc. Let me know how you get on and how much it's likely to cost.I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge.Try not to be nervous about the laser treatments.Laser's are so advanced nowadays.It should be painless (i think). Have you asked about the pain factor? Good Luck.

Originally Posted by Pauline FANTSATIC Bhav!! I want to try laser treatment for hair removal too and have been thinking about it for some time. I absoloutley hate getting my under arms waxed, i find it so painful. It'd be great not to have to bother with wazing etc. Let me know how you get on and how much it's likely to cost.I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge.Try not to be nervous about the laser treatments.Laser's are so advanced nowadays.It should be painless (i think). Have you asked about the pain factor? Good Luck.

I've got the consulatation tomorrow so i'll find out all about the pain factor, and costs then!I have a general list of prices for Bare Necessity clinics, if you're interested. Let me know!

please let us know how it works, Bhav. i've been wanting to try but i heard the results on darker skin tones aren't very good. Keep us posted!

Originally Posted by Bhav I completely forgot about this thread!

wink.gif

Soundslike it reailly does a good job. Where can I find this product, at a Kmart or something?phamacy? Please share!!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by elljmz There is a waxing kit at Sephora called Poetic Waxing kit or something like that. It is so easy to use. There are none of those strips . You simply melt the wax, smooth it on , wait for a few seconds to harden a bit then pull the wax right off. I can do a better waxing job on my upper lip than any salon could do. Check it out! Plus you are in the comfort of your own home.

Latest posts

Back