Fake Sweetners? Good or Bad?????

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious. I heard that there was a study that said that artifical sweetners can impede weightloss. Is this true? I always drink water or calorie free drinks, but all the calorie free drinks have fake sweetners and I drink at least 4 diet drinks a day. What do you think?

IMO, I think that anything fake is bad. One minute they say its good for you and then a few years down the line, they find that an ingredient in it can harm you. I think that of all of them, I have heard that Splenda is the best since its made from real sugar. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with Marisol, anything fake can't be good for you. I grew up drinking diet sodas and I still drink them from time to time. I now drink water or low calorie drinks like Crystal Light which are also artificially sweetened. I see is as everything you drink is going to have some kind of chemicals in it (including chlorine from tap water) as long as it isn't poisonous I will continue to drink it.

I also heard that study but don't remember the details, I think artificial sweeteners taste gross so I don't eat them
biggrin.gif
Also is it diet sodas you're drinking? If you're concerned for your health, I don't think it's good to have 4 caffienated drinks a day either! Just a thought!
wink.gif

I heard Nutrasweet (the blue packets) and Saccharin (in the pink Sweet & Low packets) is bad for you.

I use Splenda (yellow packets) - I haven't heard anything negative about that but if I do, I'll stop using it.

I'm sure anything artificial can't be all that great.

Splenda is the best from what I have heard. It is sucralose and is 600x sweeter than sugar and you can bake with it as well. We try and steer clear of the sodium cyclamate and aspertame found in Nutrasweet and sweet n'low.

I don't like anything I eat or drink to have anything artificial in it...When I went on the Candida Diet, sugar of any kind was not allowed. I found out about this stuff called Stevia and I researched it extensively...It's a natural ingredient that's been used in many countries as a sweetener, but for whatever reason(most likely financial more than anything) the FDA won't allow it to be sold as anything but a natural supplement in the US-it can't be marketed as a sweetener here. It's worth looking into for those of you who want a replacement for sugar and you can use it in baking as well. Most artificial sweeteners can't really be used in cooking, except I think for Splenda-but even that one kinda scares me. I just think everyone would have less health problems if we stopped stuffing our bodies with so many chemicals.

And for all you soda drinkers...try your favorite juice with some carbonated water-way better than any diet drink.

I'm majorly addicted to diet soda.
icon_redface.gif
I've recently switched to a diet kind with splenda in it though and like that much better! I can't drink sugar soda because it makes me sick.
icon_confused.gif

I did try to get off it completely but the whole week I went without was pure hell and got worse each day so I caved.
icon_cry.gif

I totally forgot about Stevia. My mom uses it exclusively in her coffee and tea. I actually don't mind the taste at all.

Originally Posted by AngelaMH I'm majorly addicted to diet soda.
icon_redface.gif
I've recently switched to a diet kind with splenda in it though and like that much better! I can't drink sugar soda because it makes me sick.
icon_confused.gif

I did try to get off it completely but the whole week I went without was pure hell and got worse each day so I caved.
icon_cry.gif

Yeah, I had a friend try to go off a soda addiction cold-turkey and it didn't work either! But she started slowly cutting back, say having one soda a day or else she would get a headache from caffiene withdrawl, and eventually she got to where she didn't drink any soda! You can do it if you try!
biggrin.gif

There's new stuff out there about Splenda being bad.

Everything is bad in one form or another. Just limit your intake of what you eat that is bad. I usually drink Crystal Lite. I'm getting my daily requirement of water, and it's pretty darn good for you. Yes it has artificial sweeteners in it, but have you all checked what you eat daily?

I do not like the taste of Splenda at all. I do like diet ginger ale and diet sprite, and now that they are starting to put Splenda in it, YIKES, I don't like it anymore, it's too sweet.

Nutra-sweet's contract must be up with all the diet companies and Splenda must be taking over. Not sure how it works actually.

Originally Posted by girl_geek Yeah, I had a friend try to go off a soda addiction cold-turkey and it didn't work either! But she started slowly cutting back, say having one soda a day or else she would get a headache from caffiene withdrawl, and eventually she got to where she didn't drink any soda! You can do it if you try!
biggrin.gif

Don't mess with me and my diet coke! I have cut down a great deal, only 1 or 2 a day. Water gets so boring to me, but made with crystal light it is fine. I used to drink 6 diet sodas a day, my husband freaked! Don't see the big problem, it's not like it is beer! HeeHee. I use splenda in my ice coffee. I don't like splenda in my soda though..... too sweet for me.

The reason that fake sweeteners impede weight loss is that regular sugar would be causing your blood glucose to spike, which makes you feel like you are no longer hungry. Since you do not get that feeling with fake sweeteners, you end up drinking/eating a lot more of the artificially sweetened stuff than you would if it had normal sugar in it. The really bad part is that a LOT of the artificially sweetened foods out there have just as many calories and just as much fat as their sugar-filled counterparts. Hence, slower weight loss.

Latest posts

Back