Favorite books on beauty/makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are tons of books on the market about makeup and I wanted to see what are your favorites. My little library includes books on traditional beauty makeup, theater makeup, special effects and photography. All are great for reference and are terrific coffee table books as well.
smile.gif

Here are my favorites:

Making Faces

by Kevyn Aucoin

If you are just starting a collection, buy this book! I keep going back to Making Faces. It's my favorite makeup book, and Kevyn Aucoin is the master. I like that he does not name specific brands -- it's a much more universal book about artistry & transformation. Includes the faces of Julia Roberts, Winona Ryder, Jewel, Tori Amos, Demi Moore, Courtney Love, Janet Jackson, Gwenyth Paltrow & many other celebrities.

Face Forward

by Kevyn Aucoin

More transformations of celebrities & common folk.
wink.gif

Body Decoration: A World Survey of Body Art

by Karl Groning

Surveys body decoration from all over the globe, focusing mainly on tribal cultures. Groning talks about ritual body painting, piercing, tattooing, scarring etc.

Chinese Opera

by Jessica Tan Gudnason

Gorgeous photographs of Chinese opera performers, in a variety of character makeups.

Stage Makeup: The Actor's Complete Step-By-Step Guide to Today's Techniques and Materials

by Laura Thudium

Great book that covers basic stage makeup to special effects for theater.

Deck of Cards

by MAC Cosmetics & Assouline

Just bought this yesterday and WOW! An amazing photography book about body painting, talk about inspiration! No text, just images. All the proceeds benefit MAC's Aids fund too, which is always an extra incentive to buy.

On my wishlist:

Painted Bodies: By Forty-Five Chilean Artists

by Roberto Edwardshttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...475-1615101?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Must have more body painting books! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Kumadori

by Toshiro Morita

Shows & explains the spiritual process of makeup application for Japanese kabuki performers.

What are your favorites?

The Art of Makeup, Making Faces, & Face Forward all by Kevyn Aucoin

The Eyebrow by Robin Cosio w/Cynthia Robins

The Beauty Workbook by Cynthia Robins

K*I*S*S (Keep It Simple Series) Guide To Beauty by Stephanie Pedersen

Read My Lips by Meg Choen Ragas & Karen Kozlowski

Lipstick by Jessica Pallingston

Beautiful Brows by Nancy Parker & Nancy Kalish

I don't have great texts like you, but always wanted to find a good one. Someday, I'd like to go to makeup school so I can help create cool costumes for nieces & nephews.
smile.gif

frown.gif
I don't have any make up books but i do wanna get..

Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin & Make Up Your Mind by Francois Nars

Originally Posted by Laura
frown.gif
I don't have any make up books but i do wanna get..
Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin & Make Up Your Mind by Francois Nars

Aaah, poor you! You need MAKING FACES it's a necessary purchase.
I have all 4 Kevyn Aucoin books (The Art of Make Up, Making Faces, Face Forward and A Beautiful Life).

I have Awaken Your Senses by Nicky Kinnaird (founder of Space NK), and I have an Aveda book which is about everything beauty and health related.

My HG MU book is Make Up Your Mind by Francios Nars.

I'm always on the look out for more though and would really like the Instyle beauty book.

Originally Posted by zoegirl I have all 4 Kevyn Aucoin books and think they are the best. I have 2 of Bobbi Brown books, 1 Trish M., and 1 Francois Nars. I didn't like the Nars book at all. Yea Zoegirl, I agree with you about the Nars book!! I mainly don't like it because it's really just a marketing ploy for Nars. And some of his makeups I honestly don't care for at all.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Granted, I think the design of the book is really sleek and innovative (the before & after pictures, with a plastic sheet in between, so you can see where he placed each product).
However.... I think Kevyn Aucoin's books are much more accessible to a wide range of people -- and he doesn't name product names! Of course, this makes it a little tricky when you want to go out and buy something, but products are always being discontinued, new items are always coming out... so I feel that books like "Making Faces" are more universal and will still be relevant in years to come.

Originally Posted by wongy74 I just bought "Making Faces" off of Amazon, thanks to this post!
tongue.gif
Awesome Jess! I look forward to hearing what you think of it.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by wongy74 I just bought "Making Faces" off of Amazon, thanks to this post!
tongue.gif
Well done, if I could only keep one of my Aucoin books it would be that one. I'm sure you'll love it.

Okay, looks like I'm headed to Amazon (like Jess!) to order the Making Faces one. I do not have any but it sounds like I need that one for sure!!! Thanks
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i'm always on the look out for kevyn aucoin's books on ebay. when i go to borders, i always look at it an i'm amazed!

i want some other books, just to have, but i don't want to spend so much $ on them. lol

So I got Making Faces and loved it, so I also bought Face Forward and A Beautiful Life. They all give great step by step instructions and some tips. I wish there were more specific tips and tricks, though.

I have Kevin Aucoin's Making Faces and I love it. I want to buy more of his books. Thanks Joy for starting this thread.

Originally Posted by Marisol I have Kevin Aucoin's Making Faces and I love it. I want to buy more of his books. Thanks Joy for starting this thread. Aww, you're welcome! I love Kevyn Aucoin's books and just love makeup books in general. They're fun for the coffee table as well -- and interestingly enough, I find that my guy friends are usually the ones leafing through my beauty books/magazines.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Another book worth checking out is Juliet Cohen's VOGUE MAKEUP (she covers everything from skincare to makeup to hair & nails). Nice layout, beautiful pictures helpful tips and she does recommend specific products. She isn't as eloquent as Kevyn Aucoin, but I like the book overall.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Aww, you're welcome! I love Kevyn Aucoin's books and just love makeup books in general. They're fun for the coffee table as well -- and interestingly enough, I find that my guy friends are usually the ones leafing through my beauty books/magazines.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Another book worth checking out is Juliet Cohen's VOGUE MAKEUP (she covers everything from skincare to makeup to hair & nails). Nice layout, beautiful pictures helpful tips and she does recommend specific products. She isn't as eloquent as Kevyn Aucoin, but I like the book overall.

I want that book, it looks great!

And what about this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743456688/ref=pd_sr_ec_cs_aps/103-9283216-1489424?v=glance&st=*=* , do you know it?

I don't have any beauty books either. Gotta add them to my wish list!

I just purchased the "Face Forward" book by Kevin Aucoin from a lady on a yard sale list I am on for $2.00. I can't wait to get it. I am looking forward to getting it.

Anita

All three of his books are awesome, Face Forward has the easiest to follow lessons, and the fourth is really beautiful, and has great tips. His family is considering putting out a book of his poetry/work. Heres hoping!

Latest posts

Back