Finally! Swatches of 6 Makeup Geek Shadows!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very sorry it's taken me this long but things just never seem to stop coming up. From snow to dog puke to gawd forsaken LADY DAYS, you name it, every time I sat down to do these swatches, SOMETHING interfered. And to be totally honest, I hate spending my time swatching products unless they are properly edited, resized and labeled properly so people know exactly what they're looking at.

Anyways, I've uploaded 8 photos in 3 different types of lighting of 6 shades of Makeup Geek shadows. All photos were taken on my iPhone as I couldn't find the charger for my Sony camera. My second order came in just today so I wanted to do them all at once. The only thing I did other than crop and label these photos was to sharpen just one of them. I didn't tweak anything else at all. I've also put copies of them in my gallery with more written details, but please do NOT just take them for your own use without asking because I won't just be quiet about it. I may not be the queen of swatching, but I did put my time and effort into these and it really pisses me off when people just steal things without at least making a polite request. It's just not nice. Anyhooo....on to the swatches :)

Corrupt is the BLACKEST, most pigmented, least dusty black shadow I have ever come across. Haven't yet seen anything as black as this except for pure black oxide. It smudges amazingly, dry or wet, alone or over a cream, gel or pencil shadow, and is the ultimate black shadow for a smokey eye with very little fallout. Ounce for ounce these shadows may be more expensive than MAC or other higher end brands, but as you can see they are WELL worth every penny. Even on bare skin they look amazing and have little fallout. She definitely did a great job with whatever company she hooked up with to create these.

WOW they look great! I ordered Envy and Peacock (as well as Razzleberry and Cocoa Bear), and your swatches are making me so anxious for my order!

Peacock was sold out for a while, so when it came back in stock I grabbed it right away. It's an amazing color. Not teal, not green, not blue. It's an oddly beautiful color. I don't have any other shade like it from any brand in my collection of hundreds. And MAN is it pigmented!

has anyone stolen your swatches in the past or something? gorgeous colors, esp. twilight and burlesque together. makeuptalk is killing my wallet, I didn't even consider buying single shadow pans until now lol. do most target stores carry the elf refill pan?

btw I'm a little confused.. you said ounce for ounce they're more expensive than mac shadows, but MAC is 1.5 g for 11.50, and these are 1.8 g for 5.99

Honestly, I thought I remembered Zazi saying something about them working out to be more expensive than MAC in another thread, which is why I said that. But I could be wrong. Sorry, I've been very busy helping with a human rights case in Indonesia for the past 5 days or so, so I've got zero time to answer anything.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gifbtw I'm a little confused.. you said ounce for ounce they're more expensive than mac shadows, but MAC is 1.5 g for 11.50, and these are 1.8 g for 5.99
Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I thought I remembered Zazi saying something about them working out to be more expensive than MAC in another thread, which is why I said that. But I could be wrong. Sorry, I've been very busy helping with a human rights case in Indonesia for the past 5 days or so, so I've got zero time to answer anything.
If I recall correctly my comparisons in price & weight was MUG vs Sugarpill and a few other companies but not against M•A•C itself. Here's what I said about MUG vs M•A•C.

Sure it's cheaper than M•A•C pro pans but M•A•C has taken years to cultivate their name and brand so it's understandable they're more expensive. Even if these are the most amazing eye shadows the fact is she is an independent and not a big name brand like Urban Decay or M•A•C so why are the prices so much higher than a brand name?
At any rate, here are price comparisons. I'm excited to try MUG and will be placing my first order next week. I have Coastal Scents and BH Cosmetics palettes. I also have Fyrinnae and Sugarpill (no pressed palettes though) and I have one M•A•C shadow.

MUG M•A•C (pro pans) Sugarpill Fyrinnae* Coastal Scents BH Cosmetics Saucebox Cosmetics Price $5.99 $11.50 $12.00 $5.90 to $6.35 $1.99 $3.95 $8.00 Size 1.8 g / 0.064 oz 1.5 g / 0.05 oz
4 g / 0.14 oz. 3g 1.3g / 0.04oz 1.3g / 0.04oz 5 g / 0.18 oz * loose shadow only, no pressed pans/shadows

Updated weight size on MUG after it was pointed out the pans are 1.8 oz. Added Saucebox.

Thanks for the correction on that. Yes, I am pretty much in love with my Hot Pots as well, especially at $1.99 each, and even less when on sale. But these eye shadows are on a whole other level. No black shade from CS even comes close to MUG Corruption, really. The crazy pigmentation of Corrupt & Peacock blew me away, even dry swatched. And the texture of all of them are beautiful. I love the way I can use my bent liner brush to use those particular shades to lay down an extremely pigmented, very fine line of color, or how I can smudge them both out for the most beautiful smokiness I've seen thus far. The others are also nothing to shrug off, either, in terms of texture, pigmentation and blendability. I'll also be ordering more myself. I'll be surprised if there's at least not a couple of duds in the bunch, as there normally are in all brands, but so far I haven't found that to be the case. I just love the texture of them ALL so far! I ordered a sample of Ben Nye Peacock loose pigment just out of curiosity to compare to MUG's Peacock shadow. There's absolutely no comparison, really, or to any other pressed shadow, mineral shadow or loose pigments from any brand I've tried up to this point. I haven't yet tried BH's stuff as they looked to me to be the same as CS shadows. I love Fyrinnae's eye shadows. They are absolutely stunning and very smooth. Their highlighters are like *velvet*! Different product, I know :) Not to mention jam packed filled to the top! I'm also really liking a lot of the Detrivore shadows now too and have quite a few at this point. Waiting for my first order of Morgana Cryptoria now, shadows AND lip products!

Hi Ladies - just wanted to make this correction. Makeup Geek eyeshadows are 1.8g in size -- which is actually larger than MAC.

No, no... I updated my posted after she pointed out it was 1.8 oz.

Updated weight size on MUG after it was pointed out the pans are 1.8 oz. Added Saucebox.

Edited by zadidoll - Today at 10:34 am

Alrighty, never mind then :) I thought you had edited that before the person made that post.

I bought several more since then and love the majority in my collection. I managed to fill up an entire Z Palette with them. They really are great eyeshadows. Try her gel liners as well! Zazi mentioned in another post that she's got some of her lipsticks. I haven't tried those yet though because I'm so tired if buying lip products with so-so formulations. I'm sticking to Bobbi Brown, MAC & Revlon for the moment as they're the only brands I'm happy with 9 times out of 10. Can't wait for her blushes & the final formulation of her cream shadows! Already loving the ones I got last year!

Oh my goodness... lawd.. those swatches are to die for and the pigmentation are just.. OH MY! I definitely need to get my hands on some of these specially now that I'm trying to fill up my palettes. (I currently only have one palette about half full)

Shopping here I come!

Latest posts

Back