First Attempt; Any Tips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sooo, I'm a huge newbie to makeup. I just got my first makeup pallet for Christmas so I decided to play around with it for a bit. I played around with the blues today and I decided to post pictures to get some advice. I'm a little shy on posting these and this is pretty much the first time in my life applying makeup. I'd like for you guys to give me advice on eyeshadow application and stuff like that. PS: Ignore the flaky spot on my eyelid, some stupid girl waxed my eyebrows and i didn't notice that she gave me burns until I got home. Ugh. Anyways here are the pics: 

(without flash) 

(with flash) 

(without flash) 

(with flash)

I LOOOOOOVE blue eyeshadow. It looks good, except for all I can say is maybe a bit more blending. Other than that, it's beautiful!!

BTW ... Do you use an eyeshadow primer?

I use the elf eyelid primer for now since I'm just starting out. Seems to just point out the flakiness of my eyelid even more though ugh lol. 

I would agree with the above response, the color is lovely, just needs to be blended a bit more. I use the ELF eyelid primer too, mineral and essential. They work great for me though, you might be sensitive to something in them.

great job for your first attempt!!!  I agree with the blending but you still did an amazing job!

You look great! I looked at the pics before I read that this was your first time doing your eye makeup, and I would have never guessed that it was! If you did this well on your first attempt a few more practice runs and you'll be a complete pro in no time :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Let me start off by saying you are a very pretty girl :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For a starter, you're pretty good! I'd also agree with the other girls on the blending, you should blend in the colors more so that those harsh lines won't show, and the colors will look better.
Also, try doing lighter towards the inner corner if your eyes, so that your eye won't look as though it is being closed up with colors. Some people may like to do just a pure dark color all over the eyes, but it's really nice to have transitional colors from light to dark on the outer v's of your eyes if that makes any sense. For example, if you're using blue, I would recommend white in the inner corners of your eyes into the first half of your lid, and then a light blue, then a medium blue, and then a dark blue on the outer v. Just blend blend blend all the colors together where they meet, so it removes the harsh lines and it makes it look as though they are naturally coming together! 

If you want a really good blending brush, you should check out the Sigma E25 Blending Brush - http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Blending_E25_p/e25.htm
It works wonders! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I use it all the time, it blends in sooo well! I'd also recommend more of their brushes for face, etc. 

I personally would get someone else to do your brows, I think they are alil to round..... Anyways....  Blend up alil more... Darker in the crease and outter corner, lighter on the brow bone and inner corner.  I personally don't like the outside blended much or the top outter edge that is closest to my brow... I'm weird.

I think a liquid liner would be your friend for your upper lash line... I like maybelines ultra liner which has a tiny lil brush and I think it is really easy to use.. It'll help you get a more exact line a pencil wont give you on your upper lashes...
beer.gif

I agree with the above, blue look beautiful on you, and great job! Personally I think a lighter highlight color on the inside lower lid would look nice too, but that's just my preference. Much much better then my first attempts playing with colors. I did a lot of different looks when I knew wasn't going anywhere to get a feel for what I like and how to make it look nice. I know this is super nerdy, but I took pics of the different looks (just for me) so I could do a better comparison.  Now if I could just get concealer down...sigh.

Much better than I did for my first time! It looks great! I agree with the blending and liquid eyeliner. I'd actually start with something a little bit easier than a smoky eye, though you definetely are very capable. I'd learn how to do liquid eyeliner though because on looks like these, liquid liner is the one to use. Pencil generally fails you there. Plus liquid liner looks great as a quick everyday thing.

Latest posts

Back