First Time

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, My name is Katherine, Im 13, and I just started breaking out
icon_frown.gif
Im starting to get a bunch of pimples on my forehead, and even in places where there is no pimples, its red, and im starting to get some on the rest of my face also. I bought Clearasil Acne Treatment Cream with skin conditioner, and Neautrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 wash and mask . Im afraid to use them though, because Im afraid It might cause a reverse reaction. Has anyone expereinced and tried out any of these?

I have never tried either of them. If I were you, I would stick to a gentle face wash, a gentle exfoliator (AHA, BHA, or a scrub), and a disinfectant (like the Clearasil acne treatment).

For the face wash, make sure it's non drying. If your face becomes too dry, your skin will start producing MORE oils to compensate, and that will lead to more breakouts.

As for exfoliator, your pores might be clogged due to increase of dead skin cells. You need to slough it off and all three of them are good exfoliants. Hopefully I'm not going to confuse you, but AHA, and BHA are very picky with certain conditions they have to live in (which is pH). I heard good things about Alpha Hydrox products, but they're discontinued. I also heard good things about neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion (WITHOUT the spf -- that one sucks
tongue.gif
). If you want an actual scrub, try mixing a little baking soda with your cleanser for a cheap face scrub.

as for a disinfectant, Clearasil should be good enough for now. A stronger one you can try is Clean and Clear Persa Gel 5, followed by Persa Gel 10.

if you need to control your oil. Look into Philip's Milk of Magnesia. It's suppose to be a laxative but it controls oil very well! Just wear it as a mask 10 minutes a few days a week.
smile.gif

Lastly, your breakouts could be caused by hormonal imbalance. Especially since you're starting or near puberty. I'm not familiar with that but I know Birth Control Pills can help regulate hormones.

anyway, good luck and let us know your progress
biggrin.gif

Honestly, every person reacts differently to each acne medication, you really won't know what works until you try it. Also keep in mind that you will probably need to use most medications for at least a month before you will see any results (although if you immediately have an allergic reaction or something you'll want to stop!)

If you can't find over-the-counter treatments that work, you can always visit a dermatologist, who can recommend different treatments and give prescriptions if necessary. I went to a dermatologist for years, and didn't realize how well the prescriptions worked until I decided to quit using them to save money, lol!

Anyways, common acne medications are salicyclic acid and benzoyl peroxide. Most acne medications at the drugstore will contain one of these ingredients, and you can use them together as long as it doesn't dry out or irritate your skin. For benzoyl peroxide medications, I like Neutrogena's because it contains only 2.5% benzoyl peroxide -- most other brands contain 10% which is too much for me and dries out my skin. Keep in mind that benzoyl peroxide can bleach fabric -- I only use it at night, and sleep on white pillow cases and in shirts that I don't care if they get bleached. I also use Stridex Maximum Strength (2% salicyclic acid) twice a day.

I actually have clogged pores caused by excess facial oil, and not true acne (which requires the prescence of a certain bacteria). My nose is also always redder than my face even though I seldom get pimples on my nose. If your acne is small, red, often hard bumps (instead of big whiteheads) and your skin is very oily, you probably also have clogged pores. Even if you have true acne, oils can still clog your pores and lead to acne. My dermatologist emphasized the importance of keeping my face clean oil-free. Some tips that he gave me (in addition to giving me prescription acne medications):

• To keep my pores clean and my face exfoliated, wash with a Buf Puf brand sponge (or similar sponge) and Cetaphil bar soap. You can also use Dove soap if you want something more moisturizing.
  • All conditioners and many shampoos contain oils that can clog your pores. He gave me a list of "safe" shampoos, but the only ones I remember are Herbal Essence and Prell. Only use conditioner on the ends of your hair (not your roots) to avoid getting it on your face -- plus, conditioner on the roots can weigh down your hair
    smile.gif
  • While eating certain foods hasn't been proved to cause acne, you can clog your pores by getting grease on your fingers (like by eating french fries) and touching your face. He told me to wash my hands and face after eating greasy foods.... like I'm going to reapply all my mu after lunch each day
    icon_rolleyes.gif
  • And of course, mu can clog your pores. My doctor told me to wear Prescriptives brand foundation, concealor, and powder because he claimed it was the only brand that was "truly" non-comedogenic (does not clog pores). At a minimum, make sure you wear mu that is labeled non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic (mu labeled oil-free may still contain other ingredients that can clog your pores). Also use loose powder, because they use oils to get pressed powder to stay in the compact. He claimed that it doesn't matter what eye or lip mu you wear.
Hope that helps!
smile.gif

girl, i agree with her. go to the dermatologist, for the next few years in puberty, if u are anything like me when i was 13, i would worship him like a 2nd god.

he can give u prescription medication that u know will work on u
smile.gif

I've had acne and breakouts since I was nine and my parents never let my go to a derm--I hated them for that...Anywhoo I still get cystic zits but not as often and of course I have hyperpigmentation. For red blemishes or even ingrown hairs, I use Neutrogena's Skin Clearing Oil-Free Concealer in Correcting Green. I originally bought this for my bf to conceal a black eye, but I tried it one day and it gets rid of zits in no time. The only way to know if products work for you is to try it and watch what happens--sucks but every one is different. For me I would use and Clearasil or Loreal products and break out horribly. Also bc works but you probably don't want to jump on that bandwagon yet. Neutrogena and Noxzema (not the original formula in the blue tub that your grandmother probably used) products definately seem to be the best drugstore acne products out there (well at least for me). So try them and see what happens, if they don't work for you, you can always try and swap them.

Yes to the dermatologist as well. Neutrogena has a new line called Visably clear that I noticed at the drugstore-it is reasonably priced too. Neutrogena has a good selection of products for acneic skin. I also like clean and clear, especially the foaming facial cleanser. Even if you can't get into a derm, you can see your family doctor as well-there are some good prescription products too.

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood Hi, My name is Katherine, Im 13, and I just started breaking out
icon_frown.gif
Im starting to get a bunch of pimples on my forehead, and even in places where there is no pimples, its red, and im starting to get some on the rest of my face also. I bought Clearasil Acne Treatment Cream with skin conditioner, and Neautrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1 wash and mask . Im afraid to use them though, because Im afraid It might cause a reverse reaction. Has anyone expereinced and tried out any of these? Try something gentle first. Being so young, it's going to be hard to tell exactly what your skin type is.Try out BURT'S BEES Tomato Soap and maybe even the Tomato Toner. Hard to find, but I like that it's gentle yet effective.

Good Luck!!

Latest posts

Back