Flabby Arms?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have flabby arms at young age, so I started doing workouts to firm and remove my flabby arms, but instead I built muscle.. And I do a lot household chores which already made my arms look masculine even before working out..

My arms looks so big, and I also have broader shoulders.. I can't wear some type of clothing and sometimes sleeves wont fit on my arm. Gees.. I cant take how my body looks like .. as if it is a mans upper body..
icon_cry.gif

Any effective way that you've tried that helped you remove or at least firm your flabby arms without building so much muscle..? I really need your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarshB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have flabby arms at young age, so I started doing workouts to firm and remove my flabby arms, but instead I built muscle.. And I do a lot household chores which already made my arms look masculine even before working out..

My arms looks so big, and I also have broader shoulders.. I can't wear some type of clothing and sometimes sleeves wont fit on my arm. Gees.. I cant take how my body looks like .. as if it is a mans upper body..
icon_cry.gif

Any effective way that you've tried that helped you remove or at least firm your flabby arms without building so much muscle..? I really need your help.
When doing weight lifting, you should be more concerned with reps than weight. This helps tone vs building muscle. So for upper arms, I would suggest not using anything more than 1 - 2 pound weights. Just enough to give some resistance but not enough to build muscles.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

When doing weight lifting, you should be more concerned with reps than weight. This helps tone vs building muscle. So for upper arms, I would suggest not using anything more than 1 - 2 pound weights. Just enough to give some resistance but not enough to build muscles.
now I know what am I doing wrong.. I've been using a 3-5lbs weight sometimes.. Thanks!

If 1-2lb isn't enough, you can stick with the 3lb but lots of reps - 100-200rep, not 20-50reps. 

I used to be soooo self-conscious about my flabby arms- so I can totally relate!!!!

Definitely try more reps with low weights~ ☆

And- doing more cardio might help with leftover flabbiness.

I've been to busy working that I have no time exercising at all when before I am very slim and I have a toned arm because dance classes.. Then I started gaining weight includes my arms, which turned out to be flabby and saggy..
Thanks for all your reply.. I'll try to buy new sets of weights tomorrow..
wink.gif

Just as a note, you don't need to go buy weights for light. You can use large/thick books and get the same results.  Or even a bag of rice in each hand or 2 liter bottles half filled with water. All you are looking for is something to add some resistance.

2 milk jugs filled with water - water will determine weight.  It has handles for easy carrying.  

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2 milk jugs filled with water - water will determine weight.  It has handles for easy carrying.  

Great idea!

I've invested in a personal trainer once a week and my biggest concern when I came in was my arm flab. We do a lot of different types of weight exercises using 5-8lb weights. Everything from all sorts of arm curls, dumbell presses, bench presses, lateral raises, reverse flies, single arm rows, upright rows, hammer curls, overhead tricep extensions, squats with weights, etc. 

A mixture of these exercises work. It just takes patience. Which most people dont have. My training sessions are normally an hour and we spend 20-30minutes on these exercises. We don't worry about rep numbers, but about minutes. Normally a minute per exercise, sometimes we will do 2-5 different types in a row.

Two things that are important that people overlook:

-Taking a break between sets. Your muscles need to recharge. If you keep going without at least 1-2min breaks your muscles have no time to properly prepare and you are just stressing them out, not building up strength.

-Cardio mixed with Strength. It's always either one or the other. But the best way to take advantage of strength training is to mix in cardio. Even just a minute of jumping jacks, doing 5 reps, break, then walking up and down stairs for 2-3minutes, and then more weight reps. The cardio helps to elevate your heart rate and get your body pumping. But to actually tone and lose fat you need weight training! You'll burn off more fat if you do a combo.

I have seen amazing results by running 2-3x a day and one day of mixed cardio/(mostly) weight training. In the past 5 months I'v lost 20lbs, lost a pant size, and feel amazing. My arms are almost flab free and look toned and healthy. But I should add that I am vegan and already had a pretty healthy, balanced diet which makes a difference. So if you dont have a healthy lifestyle I wouldn't expect to see the results you want. 

I have been going to the gym and I have been challenging myself to add more weight when I do the machines on the circuit there. I've noticed my arms are firming up, but like you mentioned they looked thicker too so I have mixed feelings about how it looks. Sometimes shirt sleeves seem snug. So I think I will try the more reps and less weight to just tone up. I suppose that's true with thighs too? I never used to run but I have started, but I don't feel results in my thighs at all (slimming) so I need to find something works for me specifically in that area for toning.

My thighs and calves have toned up with running. It just takes time. At first you will always have an increase in bulk because of all the new muscle you are gaining, but once you have it and it gets toned and you lose the fat, you look toned. 

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two things that are important that people overlook:

-Taking a break between sets. Your muscles need to recharge. If you keep going without at least 1-2min breaks your muscles have no time to properly prepare and you are just stressing them out, not building up strength.

-Cardio mixed with Strength. It's always either one or the other. But the best way to take advantage of strength training is to mix in cardio. Even just a minute of jumping jacks, doing 5 reps, break, then walking up and down stairs for 2-3minutes, and then more weight reps. The cardio helps to elevate your heart rate and get your body pumping. But to actually tone and lose fat you need weight training! You'll burn off more fat if you do a combo.
Thanks for these tips!  I do take breaks between sets, but this gives me a better idea of how to get the most out of my workouts~ ★

Latest posts

Back