For Salad Lovers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can remember when having a salad meant simply having a bowl of iceburg lettuce, with maybe a few slice's of tomato or cucumber with it, and that was pretty much it! Now days there are so many different ways to create a delicious salad, the possibilites are endless. At the grocery store there are so many different types of salad blends that I haven't purchased an actual head of lettuce in ages, these blends can include romaine, raddicchio, spinach, herbs, my personal favorite's are, spring mix and mixed baby greens. These are so much healthier than plain iceberg lettuce.Compared with iceberg, romaine lettuce has twice the fiber, B vitamins and folate. It also contains more calcium, potassium and trace minerals--and it has seven times the vitamin C and 18 times the vitamin A. Since health-enhancing phytochemicals, such as lutein, are in the pigment, romaine is a much better source of these, too! I have found some recipes to share that I think you will like.

Almond Mandarin Salad

INGREDIENTS:

• 1/2 pound bacon
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry hot mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1 bunch green onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup slivered almonds
DIRECTIONS:
[*]In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until evenly brown. Drain, cool, and crumble.

[*]To make the dressing, thoroughly blend the vinegar, honey, dry mustard, celery salt, paprika, and olive oil.

[*]Place lettuce, oranges, green onion, bacon, and almonds in a serving bowl. Toss with dressing and serve.

Greek Tortellini Salad

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 (9 ounce) packages cheese tortellini
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 pound baby spinach leaves
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 cup slivered red onion
DIRECTIONS:
[*]Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add tortellini, and cook for 7 minutes or until al dente; drain.

[*]In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, and salt. Place the cooked tortellini in the bowl, and toss to coat. Cover, and chill at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.

[*]Place eggs in a saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and allow eggs to sit in the hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, cool, peel, and quarter.

[*]Gently mix the spinach, feta cheese, and onion into the bowl with the pasta. Arrange the quartered eggs around the salad to serve.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 (10 ounce) package baby greens
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1 apple - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
  • 4 mandarin oranges, juiced
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt to taste DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large bowl, toss together the baby greens, red onion, walnuts, blue cheese, and lemon zest. Mix in the apple and avocado just before serving.
    2. In a container with a lid, mix the mandarin orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, and salt. Drizzle over the salad as desired.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
  • 8 green onions, chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 1 (4 ounce) jar pimentos
  • 3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
DIRECTIONS:
[*]In a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, green onions, jalapeno peppers, bell pepper, avocado, pimentos, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and Italian dressing. Season with garlic salt. Toss, and chill until serving.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 head broccoli, chopped
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes
  • 1 (6 ounce) can small pitted black olives, drained
  • 1 (6 ounce) package tomato basil feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 (16 ounce) bottle zesty Italian dressing
DIRECTIONS:
[*]In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, olives and cheese. Add enough dressing to coat, toss and refrigerate overnight.

Originally Posted by HarleyMom INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 head broccoli, chopped
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes
  • 1 (6 ounce) can small pitted black olives, drained
  • 1 (6 ounce) package tomato basil feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 (16 ounce) bottle zesty Italian dressing
DIRECTIONS:[*]In a large bowl, combine the cauliflower, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, olives and cheese. Add enough dressing to coat, toss and refrigerate overnight.

hmm sound yummyy!!thanks for sahring I love Saladdddd
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Thanks so much for posting Harley. I'm gonna try the Black Bean Salad...YUMMEEE!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by HarleyMom You're both very welcome! I'll try and find more good ones to add here. Those sound good !!! You're making me hungry!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Apple-Spinach Salad <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"><TBODY><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>From Southern Living</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
clear.gif

1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, torn

2 Granny Smith apples, chopped

1/2 cup cashews

1/4 cup golden raisins

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

Combine first 4 ingredients.

Combine sugar and next 4 ingredients in a jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Pour over spinach mixture, tossing gently. Note: Dressing may be chilled up to 1 day; shake well before serving.

Yield: 6 servings

Asian Pear-Cabbage Salad <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"><TBODY><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>From Cooking Light</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
clear.gif

1 cup cubed unpeeled Asian pear or ripe pear

1 cup peeled, cubed ripe fresh mango or persimmon

2 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage

1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seed kernels, toasted

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Dash of salt

Arrange 1/4 cup pear and 1/4 cup mango on each of 4 cabbage-lined salad plates, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds. Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Drizzle about 2 1/2 tablespoons dressing over each salad.

Yield: 4 servings

Originally Posted by HarleyMom Asian Pear-Cabbage Salad <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"><TBODY><TR><TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>From Cooking Light</TD></TR><TR><TD>
clear.gif
clear.gif

1 cup cubed unpeeled Asian pear or ripe pear1 cup peeled, cubed ripe fresh mango or persimmon

2 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage

1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seed kernels, toasted

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Dash of salt

Arrange 1/4 cup pear and 1/4 cup mango on each of 4 cabbage-lined salad plates, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds. Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Drizzle about 2 1/2 tablespoons dressing over each salad.

Yield: 4 servings

I will try this tonite...thanks

These salads are truley mouthwatering! I love salads, and i am definatley going to try some of those recipies. The spinach and apple sounds devine. Thanks for those awsome recipies,i needed some new inspiration!

I think I may try that Greek Tortellini recipe. Sounds delicious. Thanks for posting.

Zucchini Salad with Tomato Vinagrette

2 zucchini, grated

1 carrot, grated

1 shallot, minced

2 T olive oil

1 T balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/4 tomato, diced

fresh ground black pepper to taste

Mix zucchini & carrot together and set aside. In a small bowl whisk together shallot, olive oil, vinegar and basil. Stir in tomato and pepper. Let sit for 5 min.

Mound zucchini carrot mixture on a plate, drizzle vinagrette mixture over and let sit for another 5 min.

Very simple but cool and refreshing in the summer.

Latest posts

Back