For those who use straightening irons..please r/o

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
are they safe for use on fine hair? Also, has anyone tried curling their hair with one? If so, does the curl really stay longer than if the hair had been curled with a curling iron? Needless to say, my hair is straight and fine and nothing I've purchased thus far has done any good. Would love opinions before I break down and spend more money.

HI Tabitha! Welcome to MakeupTalk! I haven't used a flat iron myself either because I have fine hair and I've always been afraid that it will damage my hair. I'd love to know more about flat irons too. The best curling iron that I've found is Hot Tools. I don't have one but my friend does and I've used it. Hot Tools is so much better than my Relvon ceramic curling iron that I have. My friend also uses the flat iron to curl her hair and it works great however she has a very thick hair.

I've tried curling my mum's hair (which is really fine) with my GHD flat irons and it was a bit of a disaster. If I were you I'd stick to curling irons, it's much easier.

For fine hair, I'd just stick with a curling iron to curl - and a flat iron to touch up already dry straight hair. Fine hair can break easily - so you need to be really gentle. I really haven't seen any good "curls" from a flat iron anyways... so you might just want one for each look.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks ladies, I think I'll just stick to a curling iron then. As for Hot Tools, where can you purchase them? Also, NYAngel98, everytime I look at your pic I think of a friend of mine from high school. You two could pass as sisters.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

If your irons have thin plates, like the GHD straighteners then yes, you can curl your hair with them. I don't think time would be affected so much by the product you used, depends more on the type of hair you have and if your hair holds styles well.

Hi Tabitha!

I have fine hair too, and I'm ashamed to say I do all kinds of terrible things to it. The Hair Fairies must be watching over it because it still looks pretty darn good!
icon_lol.gif
I use a large barrel curling iron most of the time. If I want some extra volume I use a ceramic hot air brush on my almost dry hair. It doesn't give as much polish and smoothness though, so I usually have to go over sections of the surface with the regular curling iron. I have tried ceramic flat irons, both large and small, and I felt like they were too harsh for my hair. They get my hair wonderfully straight and sleek at first, but once I start going about my day, the ends start to look fried, even if I had put pomade on them. I'd given up on flat irons, then I saw the Maxi Glide on Shop at Home Channel. It intrigued me; they had models with huge bushy curly hair, and some with just frizzy hair, color treated, teenagers, women of all kinds, and they were all doing their own hair live on tv. The results were amazing, I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm still not exactly sure how it works but there's steam involved somehow, you can control how much so it is moisturizing your hair instead of making it frizzier. It has hundreds of tiny detangling combs on the ceramic plates that pull the hair taut. The outside of the iron has special grooves so if you want to flip or curl your ends, you just keep turning the iron as you get to the ends of your hair and the hair "feeds" into the grooves. It's supposed to be much better and kinder to your hair. I ordered it about a week ago and I haven't received it yet but when I do I'll post a review right away! I don't mean to rave about something I haven't tried yet, I'm just really excited about trying it and I wonder if you might want to look into it too. Go to Shop at Home online, you can learn about the this item! Good luck to you!

Jessica

Originally Posted by glamslam Hi Tabitha! I have fine hair too, and I'm ashamed to say I do all kinds of terrible things to it. The Hair Fairies must be watching over it because it still looks pretty darn good!
icon_lol.gif
I use a large barrel curling iron most of the time. If I want some extra volume I use a ceramic hot air brush on my almost dry hair. It doesn't give as much polish and smoothness though, so I usually have to go over sections of the surface with the regular curling iron. I have tried ceramic flat irons, both large and small, and I felt like they were too harsh for my hair. They get my hair wonderfully straight and sleek at first, but once I start going about my day, the ends start to look fried, even if I had put pomade on them. I'd given up on flat irons, then I saw the Maxi Glide on Shop at Home Channel. It intrigued me; they had models with huge bushy curly hair, and some with just frizzy hair, color treated, teenagers, women of all kinds, and they were all doing their own hair live on tv. The results were amazing, I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm still not exactly sure how it works but there's steam involved somehow, you can control how much so it is moisturizing your hair instead of making it frizzier. It has hundreds of tiny detangling combs on the ceramic plates that pull the hair taut. The outside of the iron has special grooves so if you want to flip or curl your ends, you just keep turning the iron as you get to the ends of your hair and the hair "feeds" into the grooves. It's supposed to be much better and kinder to your hair. I ordered it about a week ago and I haven't received it yet but when I do I'll post a review right away! I don't mean to rave about something I haven't tried yet, I'm just really excited about trying it and I wonder if you might want to look into it too. Go to Shop at Home online, you can learn about the this item! Good luck to you!

Jessica

Hmmm... that looks neat! Be sure to let us know if it works as good as it looks on the video!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Yes, I can't wait for your reviews! I can also relate to the excitement infomercials can induce. When I saw the one for the True Ceramic Pro straightening iron I was so intrigued that I almost bought it right then and there, but when I checked out the website and saw the full price I about fell over.
icon_eek.gif
It was too much to spend for something that may or may not work. Of course, infomercials have a way of sucking us in...anyone remember the Revostyler?! What a piece of expensive crap!!!!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Tabitha anyone remember the Revostyler?! What a piece of expensive crap!!!!
icon_lol.gif
Yeah, now they sell them for like $15 at drugstores! LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back