FOTD SPECIAL! - November 17th, 2007

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome turn out!!!!! I love everyones looks, im def using them for inspiration!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by xEdenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif we really shouldn't say "African American" because colored ladies live all over the world
smile.gif
? ? ? ?

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU /img/forum/go_quote.gif ? ? ? ?
African American = a black person from america.

Not all of us are american.

Originally Posted by xEdenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif African American = a black person from america.

I'm pretty sure I dont need an explanation of what constitutes an 'African American' and I also realize not all on this board are American. You told someone not to say 'AA'. I interpreted your comment as saying that 'colored' was the preferred term since you said not to say AA. If that is not case, my apologies.

Originally Posted by xEdenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif African American = a black person from america.

I understood exactly what you wrote, and what you meant. This is why I am very careful with my terminology. Black people are all over the world, but African Americans are... Americans. That's all it means. It doesn't encompass more than that. But when I say Black, I'm usually talking Pan Global.
I think that sometimes non-Black folks try their very best not to offend, but they may not know the correct terminology to use in its place. I don't get uptight about it though, usually it's not with bad intent.

Heck, some folks mistakenly call my parents African American. LOL, they are Africans. Full stop. Period. What I really think is that African Americans with full American heritage should just use "American", and let people like me use "African American". LOL, now I don't even know what to call myself, you guys done stole my title.
rotfl.gif

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Heck, some folks mistakenly call my parents African American. LOL, they are Africans. Full stop. Period.
rotfl.gif
::applauds::
Yup!! on questionnaires, I just put down "African". No explanation needed.

I prefer the term black.

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm pretty sure I dont need an explanation of what constitutes an 'African American' and I also realize not all on this board are American. You told someone not to say 'AA'. I interpreted your comment as saying that 'colored' was the preferred term since you said not to say AA. If that is not case, my apologies.

Never2muchMU - I only explained because you put question marks, I meant no offense. I wasn't trying to imply that you needed an explanation. I said we shouldn't say African American because not everyone on here is American.

Nox - thanks for understanding.. I get people who try to avoid offending me at all costs when it comes to color haha... I just smile because i don't find it offensive and tell them "I'm black, you can say it!" lol. I'm an African-Canadian-Irish-German-Jamaican when it comes to that name..haha the list could go onnnnn
smile.gif

but just like earthtonez I prefer the term black

oh come on PLEASE!!!!! you know that all of you are PRETTY, BEAUTIFUL.. irregardless of what color you are!! and i heart you!! *hugs*

Nox, I've been trying to explain this concept to so many Black Americans. I'm always trying to explain that if they use the term AA, it confuses ppl when they're trying to explain the situation of first, second, and sometimes third generation Africans. (you know the kids of the immigrants). It's funny that there are others having this conversation.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Heck, some folks mistakenly call my parents African American. LOL, they are Africans. Full stop. Period. What I really think is that African Americans with full American heritage should just use "American", and let people like me use "African American".....
rotfl.gif
You and Charlize Theron.
moa.gif

Let's just say 'Women of Color' and keep it moving, mk? No need to attach nationality.
rotfl.gif

Originally Posted by xEdenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Never2muchMU - I only explained because you put question marks, I meant no offense. I wasn't trying to imply that you needed an explanation. I said we shouldn't say African American because not everyone on here is American.
but just like earthtonez I prefer the term black

Eden I apologize. My interpretation of what you meant was waaaaayyyyy off and I should not have even responded. I guess that's what I get for posting late at night. :)
i didnt mean to turn this wonderful/inspiring thread into something kind of negative. I hope that everyone will overlook this and keep this thread what it was..... AWESOME!!

(but for the record, I prefer 'Black' too, lol)

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU /img/forum/go_quote.gif Eden I apologize. My interpretation of what you meant was waaaaayyyyy off and I should not have even responded. I guess that's what I get for posting late at night. :)
i didnt mean to turn this wonderful/inspiring thread into something kind of negative. I hope that everyone will overlook this and keep this thread what it was..... AWESOME!!

(but for the record, I prefer 'Black' too, lol)

ITA this thread is awesome! Great turn out.
rockwoot.gif

Latest posts

Back