Foundation Help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went and consulted with Sephora about my foundation & concealer for my wedding. They applied and sent me home with the Make Up Forever HD foundation and concealer, and they just do not look good on me. If anything, they make my fairly nice looking skin look worse- Everything really settles into my pores, enhances my slight flakey spots, and emphasizes my wrinkles. I look okay from about 3' away, but up close it's just not pretty.

I've tried several different combinations of primers and moisturizers underneath it, have tried applying with brushes, sponges,and my fingers, and I can't find anything that works for me.

So other than airbrushing (I don't want to invest that kind of money), does anyone have any suggestions for other foundations? Preferably something light to medium coverage, with a matte to very slightly dewy finish.

TIA!

I freelance and have 2 bridal clients with weddings coming up. One of my brides has normal (slightly oily) skin and I am using the new Lancome 24H foundation mixed with Teint Idole on her. It's so beautiful!

The other bride has really oily skin and I am using Chanel Perfection Lumiere on her face and Mac Face & Body on the shoulders, arm, etc.

Any department store will usually give you a bunch of samples. The Chanel rep gave me 8 sample packets the other day.

I am now testing the new Estee Lauder foundation. It's incredibly light and pretty so far but the jury is still out. They gave me a 10-day sample that I am using the week with different primers.

The one I've been meaning to try is Stila One Step, I've seen nothing but good reviews for it. The thing is, Stila is replacing it, so if you want to grab it cheap now is the time. It's $14.99 on the website and I've seen it for between $5-10 on ebay (where I'll probably get mine.) It's originally $44! So you could give it a shot for cheap, but...

if it's something you want to try before you buy, I'd go to the Nars, Lancome, and Estee Lauder counters for samples. I've heard lots of good things about those brands and longevity, photos, etc. I'm kind of surprised that Sephora only gave you MUFE, while, yeah, that generally is a good choice and lots of women love it, they still should have matched you to a couple other foundations and gave you those samples too to try, just in case the MUFE HD doesn't work out for you...which it didn't!

SEE! We were writing at the same time and both came up with Lancome and Estee Lauder, those really are well known for having fantastic foundations...Chanel and Nars too. lol

Before you discount that foundation I would try using it yourself. No disrespect to MUAs, but I have had some really crappy foundation applications at counters that make products look like they are worse than they actually are.

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The one I've been meaning to try is Stila One Step, I've seen nothing but good reviews for it. The thing is, Stila is replacing it, so if you want to grab it cheap now is the time. It's $14.99 on the website and I've seen it for between $5-10 on ebay (where I'll probably get mine.) It's originally $44! So you could give it a shot for cheap, but...

if it's something you want to try before you buy, I'd go to the Nars, Lancome, and Estee Lauder counters for samples. I've heard lots of good things about those brands and longevity, photos, etc. I'm kind of surprised that Sephora only gave you MUFE, while, yeah, that generally is a good choice and lots of women love it, they still should have matched you to a couple other foundations and gave you those samples too to try, just in case the MUFE HD doesn't work out for you...which it didn't!
The SA was probably thinking the "HD foundation" would be good for her pictures. I don't know. I tried that same foundation a million different ways but I can't make it look good on me either. I thought was just due to my oily skin. I will say that I LOVE the MUFE Face & Body but I wouldn't use it for a wedding. It doesn't have enough coverage.

I would just get color matched at some of the department stores and take the foundation home and apply it yourself. Take a picture inside and in natural light to test it. If you normal or dry skin then the Lancome Teint Idole may be what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by DonnaJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SEE! We were writing at the same time and both came up with Lancome and Estee Lauder, those really are well known for having fantastic foundations...Chanel and Nars too. lol
Great minds think alike! LOL!

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I have no idea why they were so set on the MUFE HD- I have heard great things about it, but clearly it wasn't working with my skin. They tried to play it off like I had applied too much moisturizer and it was creating a weird reaction, but I really don't apply that much moisturizer. I just assumed that they must know what they were talking about.

The best result I could get was just using argan oil to moisturize, but even still my cheeks looked flaky.

I'll definitely check out Lancome- The Teint Idole was one of the options I was interested in until I was forced into the HD.

Will Sephora give me a refund for used products or just store credit? I've only tried to exchange used stuff before.

The SA's here in Florida always give me refunds here without a problem. They told me that as long as there is at least 60% left and I have the receipt, it's fine.

I used to work at a beauty counter at Marshall Fields (Chicago) and learned this tip. As long as you seem confident and sure about what you want, the SA's will give you anything you want. Check Temptalia for your possible color matches and just go to the different counters with your list. I usually ask for 1 or 2 different shades just in case the foundation oxidizes darker (usually a oily skin problem).

Good luck!

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Before you discount that foundation I would try using it yourself. No disrespect to MUAs, but I have had some really crappy foundation applications at counters that make products look like they are worse than they actually are.
Believe me, I tried it every way I could- Applied with a brush, sponge, fingers, buffing brush, over a light moisturizer, heavy, and argan oil, with a few different kinds of primer, without any primer at all... It just doesn't want to work with me.

And I totally agree about the MUA's- Most of the time I think they half ass it and try to make up for it by telling you how great you look :/

Originally Posted by nicnacbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The SA was probably thinking the "HD foundation" would be good for her pictures. I don't know. I tried that same foundation a million different ways but I can't make it look good on me either. I thought was just due to my oily skin. I will say that I LOVE the MUFE Face & Body but I wouldn't use it for a wedding. It doesn't have enough coverage.

I would just get color matched at some of the department stores and take the foundation home and apply it yourself. Take a picture inside and in natural light to test it. If you normal or dry skin then the Lancome Teint Idole may be what you are looking for.
So far I've tried a few different things since posting, but I think the Teint Idole Ultra might be the one- I for sure like it more than the HD, so I'm taking that back tomorrow and picking up a few more samples at Sephora before I make the final decision- Thanks for the recommendation!

I hated MUFE Hd when I first bought it but I've grown to love it. I do have oily skin as well so I don't get much flaky skin. Sometimes a product just doesn't work for you.

Yes, I agree - sometimes a product is just not a good fit, no matter how much a MUA tries to convince you that it is.

I hope you have better luck with the Teint Idole Ultra! Congrats on your upcoming wedding :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Back