Foundation issue

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No matter which foundation I use (and I've tried a bunch in the last two months), or what type of primer or base or lack of a base/primer, my foundation "breaks up" on my nose and either side of my nose. I've tried oil free matte foundations, combo foundations, long-wearing foundations and no matter what, all around the sides of my nose, the foundation seems to dissolve or sit on top of the skin and you can see my redness peeking through. Is it my application technique, my horrible skin or what? Any ideas?

Originally Posted by southerngal Is it my application technique, my horrible skin or what? Any ideas? If you've tried primers and stuff like that, you could try skipping moisturiser on your nose. I find putting foundation around my nose and under eye area difficult, and like you said it "breaks-up", particularly concealer. If I'm going out and want to do a full foundation look I make sure i exfoliate my skin thouroughly, then I don't moisturise my nose. I wipe it with toner to make sure any oil is removed before I put my foundation on. This makes the foundation cling to my skin and it doesn't break up as much. I still have the same problem under my eye though and I can't really exfoliate or use toner there because the skin is too sensitive.

do you have oily skin? this sounds like a case where you have too much oil in your skin and/or foundation. in my experiences that is what causes foundation to breakdown. you might need an oil control foundation and/or moisturizer.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by southerngal No matter which foundation I use (and I've tried a bunch in the last two months), or what type of primer or base or lack of a base/primer, my foundation "breaks up" on my nose and either side of my nose. I've tried oil free matte foundations, combo foundations, long-wearing foundations and no matter what, all around the sides of my nose, the foundation seems to dissolve or sit on top of the skin and you can see my redness peeking through. Is it my application technique, my horrible skin or what? Any ideas?

Yes, I have extremely oily skin with large pores around the nose area. I have tried oil free foundations, mattifiers, primers, a hodge podge of oil control products and primers, no moisturizer, minimal moisturizer, powder, blotting papers, you name it. I seem to have by mid-day, some type of flushing problem or hot flashes or stress-related redness in that area and the foundation, regardless of the brand or content, evaporates. I am going to try a waterproof concealer under the Lancome foundation that just came out about a week or so ago and see how that works. It's a long-wearing oil-free foundation with a matching waterproof concealer so we'll see.

Originally Posted by monniej do you have oily skin? this sounds like a case where you have too much oil in your skin and/or foundation. in my experiences that is what causes foundation to breakdown. you might need an oil control foundation and/or moisturizer.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree on the alcohol-free toner and exfoliation. You may want to try Shiseido Pureness Balancing Softener and Deep Cleansing Foam. You may also want to try a mattifier on your nose, under your foundation (such as Shiseido Pureness matifying stick). For foundation I would recommend Revlon Colorstay Natural and for concealer either Shiseido or Maybelline True Illusion.

Have you tried Bare Escentuals? Their foundation is powder instead of liquid and it seems very resistant to facial oil. I used to have the same problem with liquid foundation.. But I really like theirs b/c you can put it lightly and still gives you coverage!
icon_wink.gif

Which exfoliant and toner line did you switch to? I was using Biore salicylic blemish toner and every other day, a Clinique scrub/exfoliant. Two days ago I started using a daily scrub by Aveeno because I'd been so harsh with my skin during a recent "oil slick" that I had also gotten some dry flakes even in the oily area. I'd like to know which products you are using to combat this. Someone had suggested the Clinique pore minimizer line under my makeup but I am not happy with those. The makeup still didn't stay on in those oily zones.

Originally Posted by Trisha the only thing i can think of that you can try is a alcohol free toner and a stronger exfoliant.
I have oily skin and used to find that fndt came off there first and dry flakes showed, but it doesnt happen anymore since i started using a new scrub and moisturiser x

Back