Foundation recommendations?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most of the time I don't even wear foundation because every time I try one, my face breaks out. I know there has to be something out there that won't do this. I was considering trying Clinique's Almost Makeup, which is really more of a tinted moisturizer. From reviews on other sites it seems like most people's skin reacted well with it. However, since my skin is acne prone, this probably won't give a lot of coverage at times when I need it, but will just sort of even out skin tone. I also looked into MAC foundations, but most of them didn't get good reviews! Does anyone have any recs for me? I am very pale, with pink undertones, acne prone/combination skin. I'd really appreciate it!
smile.gif

bare escentuals bare minerals. first time i could wear anything without breaking out including the health store brands.

Another rec for minerals! I love Aromaleigh, and I'm going to try Bare Escentuals soon. I think it's one of the better options for acne prone skin, as there are fewer ingredients to break people out.

You need to buy foundations that are labeled "noncomedogenic" or "nonacnegenic" -- products labeled "oil free" may still have some greasy ingredients that can clog your pores. I believe that all of Prescriptive's products (foundation, concealor, powder, everything) are noncomedogenic, but you'll probably want to check the label (or ask a salesperson) first. In addition to Prescriptives, here is a list of noncomedogenic makeup, and a list of common makeup ingredients with comedogenic rankings (the "Acne Detective" link) so you can compare against other makeups:

http://www.zerozits.com/SafeCosmetics/Safecosmetics.htm

I'm actually looking around for a good noncomedogenic foundation myself since I can no longer buy Prescriptives in my hometown!

Also, a word of advice about natural mineral makeup -- if you're breaking out because of the oily ingredients in makeup (and not a reaction to the chemicals), many minerals and some natural oils and botanicals ranked pretty high on the "comedogenic" scale on that website -- meaning they're likely to clog pores. However if your breakouts are a reaction to the chemicals found in many makeups then natural makeups may be a good choice.

Originally Posted by girl_geek You need to buy foundations that are labeled "noncomedogenic" or "nonacnegenic" -- products labeled "oil free" may still have some greasy ingredients that can clog your pores. I believe that all of Prescriptive's products (foundation, concealor, powder, everything) are noncomedogenic, but you'll probably want to check the label (or ask a salesperson) first. In addition to Prescriptives, here is a list of noncomedogenic makeup, and a list of common makeup ingredients with comedogenic rankings (the "Acne Detective" link) so you can compare against other makeups:

I'm actually looking around for a good noncomedogenic foundation myself since I can no longer buy Prescriptives in my hometown!

Also, a word of advice about natural mineral makeup -- if you're breaking out because of the oily ingredients in makeup (and not a reaction to the chemicals), many minerals and some natural oils and botanicals ranked pretty high on the "comedogenic" scale on that website -- meaning they're likely to clog pores. However if your breakouts are a reaction to the chemicals found in many makeups then natural makeups may be a good choice.

I always buy foundations/powders/concealers that claim to be noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic. Despite this, some of them still cause breakouts. I will check out the Prescriptives and the others that have been recommended. Thanks!

Bare minerals is amazing, it is so light and looks so natural, the mineral veil is fantastic for oily skin as it is cornstarch based so it removes shine.

www.bareminerals.info has loads of good information about bareminerals

I would also definately reccomend mineral makeup. I am not a fan of Bare Minerals bc it made me breakout, but there a lot of different ones out there and they really are good. I use Monave mineral makeup and I absolutely love it!

Originally Posted by girl_geek You need to buy foundations that are labeled "noncomedogenic" or "nonacnegenic" -- products labeled "oil free" may still have some greasy ingredients that can clog your pores. I believe that all of Prescriptive's products (foundation, concealor, powder, everything) are noncomedogenic, but you'll probably want to check the label (or ask a salesperson) first. In addition to Prescriptives, here is a list of noncomedogenic makeup, and a list of common makeup ingredients with comedogenic rankings (the "Acne Detective" link) so you can compare against other makeups:

I second the Prescriptives suggestion. I have hyper-oily/acne-prone, very pale (with pink/blue undertone) skin. I use Prescriptive's Virtual Matte foundation in color "Fresh Camellia". I've never tried the mineral foundations because they don't have a color pale enough for me, so I don't know if they work or not.

Girl Geek siad exactly what I was going to say... If a makeup product doesn't say if it is non-comedogenic or non-acnegenic on the label or on their website, I will not buy it... Instead I will wait and either call or e-mail them and ask. If it is in the clear THEN I will buy it.
And products that are labeled non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic CAN still break you out... But it rarely happens... You want to check up on everything you put on your face except for eyeshadow and mascara... Everything else needs to NOT clog your pores, this even includes face wash and moisturizer.

I would also recommend a mineral foundation for you, bc there are less irritants in it. It is usually a "cleaner" foundation. Also you can try Studio Fix foundation by MAC. I know a lot of girls here use it and it is supposed to be pretty good for coverage and it is a powder foundation.

Plus, ALL of MAC's products are non-comedogenic I think...

I just wanted to add that a 'non-comedogenic' or 'non-acnegenic' label doesn't mean a whole lot, since it isn't a term regulated by the FDA, and theoretically a company can slap it on any product they want. Generally though, it is placed on foundations that don't have mineral oil, which I don't necessarily view as a 'bad' substance.

It is probably better to try to narrow down what you think might be breaking you out by checking the labels of foundations you have used before that broke you out and look for recurring ingredients. Some ingredients make people out, and others have no problem with them at all. Once you know what triggers your breakouts, you can check labels for those problem ingredients and avoid them!

I'll add that I also love mineral makeup, it has been a bit finicky, but now that I use a flat-head buff brush, they work a lot better on me. I have the BE Fair #1, and Aromaleigh finishing powder.

Originally Posted by fylloh Most of the time I don't even wear foundation because every time I try one, my face breaks out. I know there has to be something out there that won't do this. I was considering trying Clinique's Almost Makeup, which is really more of a tinted moisturizer. From reviews on other sites it seems like most people's skin reacted well with it. However, since my skin is acne prone, this probably won't give a lot of coverage at times when I need it, but will just sort of even out skin tone. I also looked into MAC foundations, but most of them didn't get good reviews! Does anyone have any recs for me? I am very pale, with pink undertones, acne prone/combination skin. I'd really appreciate it!
smile.gif
Hi--I agree with the Prescriptives suggestives: Virtual Matte (made especially for oily skin, and can be built up to fulll coverage) OR the newest Prescriptives foundation,"Flawless Skin." "Flawless Skin" too is oil free, has an SPF 15, and I wear it without ever breaking out--which my acne prone/combination skin has a tendency to do with most foundations. I like it even better than Virtual Matte--maybe because it seems to have a little more moisture and overall hydration. But both are great. I believe Prescriptives Flawless Skin was given,overall, very high reviews on MUT. (Look for them under Liquid Foundation Reviews...)

Another new foundation I sampled recently, and really like, is Clinique's "Repairwear Anti-Aging Makeup SPF 15"--it's oil free and supposedly (the saleswoman told me)does not cause breakouts. It has a really nice,smooth,medium to full, natural finish,and the lightest shade,alabaster, was pale enough even for me--most of Clinique's other foundations are too dark for me to wear. I'll probably buy it when my Prescriptives Flawless Skin runs out...though I might stick with Prescriptives..they're both so good...
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by missbisou mac studio fix is great it's foundation and powder 2-in-1 Welcome to MUT!

Latest posts

Back