Foundation- white-ish?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What does it mean when foundation has a white-ish looking undertone? I notice it shows up on pictures when in person the foundation looks fine. I've noticed this with higher coverage foundation, like MAC & Makeup forever.

Thanks!

I don't think its spf....its MAC & Makeupforever that I am having this problem with.

It's the titanium dioxide. It always reflects white in photo's. Your body will appear normal and your face ghostly.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's the titanium dioxide. It always reflects white in photo's. Your body will appear normal and your face ghostly. Yup. Yup.

Why do some people have perfect natural looking foundation in photos then? (Even when you can tell its high coverage)?

It can be the camera or that the foundation doesn't have high titanium dioxide content.

Thanks for your replies. That is very weird. I am using Smashbox now (which does contain Titanium Dioxide, but doesn't have the white effect) and I'm trying to switch to MAC because MAC is literally half the price. But the MAC REALLY has a white-ish looking ghoulish effect. Too bad
frown.gif

Hi,

This is why MAC isn't good for photography (any future brides on this site, please keep this in mind).

Also be mindful of your pressed and loose powders (titanium dioxide)

Is there a way to solve this problem? Perhaps using a bronzer, and if so, which brand/color? The ghost-like foundation is horrible.

Pretty much a lot of times it shows up in person on people who have more tan or olive in their skin.. like me, I can't ever find anything that doesn't turn me white.

Originally Posted by Clouded_Storm /img/forum/go_quote.gif Pretty much a lot of times it shows up in person on people who have more tan or olive in their skin.. like me, I can't ever find anything that doesn't turn me white. do you think a primer might help? or maybe switch to a slightly darker foundation shade? could you be using the wrong undertone color? like you need a yellow undertone and your foundation has a blue undertone?

Well I use Smashbox primer, which is clear. And i do have a lighter olive skin, so it sucks for me.

I asked the MAC artist online, and they said that their StudioFix has alot of titanium dioxide, and to try their Studiotech because it photographs better. I ordered some online, so I will let you know how it is once it arrives. Hopefully its better.

I don't have a problem with the whiteish thing with Smashbox, BUT the coverage is alot lighter. Their liquid foundation is more like a tint.

Titanium dioxide works as a sunscreen because it reflects light. So, with flash photography in particular it will reflect the flash giving that spooky look. You know those reflective strips you get on safety equipment? Same idea.

You can buy foundation without sunscreen. Most pro brands designed for film / camera work are sunscreen-free and many consumer brands are too. I think it'll just have to be a case of reading labels! Of course, if you want to protect your skin you should wear SPF in some form but there are plenty of moisturisers with non-mineral sunscreens that will do the job!

I agree, it's the titanium dioxide and probably generally the spf.

I wonder which one was the makeupforever one that photographed whitish??

Originally Posted by vav /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wonder which one was the makeupforever one that photographed whitish??

It was the Makeupforever Mat Velvet Matifying Foundation

I have this and checked it out, i think you're right, strange.

You can also check the cinema secrets ultimate cream, it's much better, but not mattifying.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's the titanium dioxide. It always reflects white in photo's. Your body will appear normal and your face ghostly. BeneBaby is 100% correct.

Latest posts

Back