fragrance is lovely one time, nasty the next?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im wondering if anyone else has this problem, or if its even an actually problem instead of my picky nose.

its happened to me two times now. i tried a vial of bulgari black, and i decided that it was one of the best perfumes i had ever smelled, and that its very similar to my all time fave, l'artisan dzing! i used the entire vial over several tests, and it was delicious. i swapped for a decant, and now all i can smell is literally nauseating lapsang tea. ive found that i canot tolerate this smell, and it makes me nauseous every time. this new batch of black smells like dzing! mixed with l'artisan tea for two. (to me, it smells like burnt tea tossed in an ashtray.) btw, the decant is a roll on, so its not an issue of applying it as a spray versus dabbing it on.

ive considered that either the decant or sample had somehow gone off, but the exact thing happened to me with benefit maybe baby, with the same vial, even! the first test drive gave me a juicy apricot fruity scent with a bit of floral and an even scent from application to drydown. the second application from the same vial gave me a totally different floral scent with a touch of apricot, and i didnt like it nearly as much.

so tell me: am i a nut? is it just me? im really sad to have two seemingly perfect scents become disappointing.

This has happened to me too and it's very disappointing.
icon_sad.gif
Also I've noticed that my tolerance/preference for fragrances various from day to day. One day I can't stand it and the next day it's ok. It's the weirdest thing.

i wonder if it has something to do w/the transfer from bottle to vial. i'm certainly no fragrance expert, but the contents are exposed to air, would it then create a "spoiled" effect? or, there may be a chance that the roll-on containers were tainted--like reused from another fragrance & not cleaned properly.

don't give up. i'd see if you could get a sample made in person @ the store & see if the same thing happens. if so, then it's a strange occurance. if not, then perhaps it was either the perfume or transferred container.

Originally Posted by keaLoha i wonder if it has something to do w/the transfer from bottle to vial. i'm certainly no fragrance expert, but the contents are exposed to air, would it then create a "spoiled" effect? or, there may be a chance that the roll-on containers were tainted--like reused from another fragrance & not cleaned properly.
don't give up. i'd see if you could get a sample made in person @ the store & see if the same thing happens. if so, then it's a strange occurance. if not, then perhaps it was either the perfume or transferred container.

hmm, i never thought of the container being previously used. maybe it used to hold the dreaded tea for two. lol. none of stores in my area carry bulgari black. im not sure why, because they carry other bulgari fragrances. if i ever find it at a B&M store ill definitely try it, but right now the memory of the horrid lapsang stench is too fresh in my mind!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back