Full Birchbox Subscription in trade for a GlossyBox and/or Glymm subscription wanted

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there!  I have an idea, and I'd love to find out if anyone else would be interested.  I currently subscribe to many U.S. only based beauty subscriptions, such as BirchBox, MyGlam, Beauty Army, Sample Society, Beauty Box 5, Test Tube, etc.  I know many of our international girls are frustrated that they can't get subs in their countries from these companies.  In the meantime, I'm jealously looking at the contents of the international versions of GlossyBox and Glymm and such.  What I propose is that we swap full memberships.  I'll get a Birchbox membership for you, let's say, and you can get a GlossyBox membership for me.  We'll keep the items for each other until they build up a bit, so as to keep postage down, and swap every 4 - 6 months.  We can send photos of what we get, if wanted, and you can check me out via eBay if you want some verification that I'm a good buyer/not going to run off with your goodies without reciprocating.  It's win/win for both of us!  I'm interested in subs from all different countries, Britain, Canada, France, Italy, India, the list goes on and on.  So if you are an international girl who is interested, let me know and maybe we can set something up!

Fantastic idea! But I have to caution everyone who does this... Some items are prohibited from import/export (nail polish for example can't be exported to Canada from the US while it can from Canada to the US). Also when shipping internationally remember the custom forms and make sure to send it as a gift with a low dollar value ($5 to $10) othewise the person maybe hit with huge custom fees (our Canadian friends are dinged hard).

Good call, Zadiodoll, I knew there were restrictions on polishes and such, I'll have to look into other specifics, too, like aerosols such as dry shampoo and self tanner.  In Belize we get hit extremely hard with customs duties, I didn't realize it was similar in Canada.  I'll be sending/receiving from the U.S., hopefully it won't be too bad of customs duties, we'll have to put that into consideration.  It was the Harrod's Glossy Box that put me over the edge.  Such great goodies!  With the value of the boxes being pretty high compared to the price for them, even with customs and shipping I think it'll still be worth it to try out new brands.  I've already learned about so many new brands just from the U.S. sample subs, I can't wait to see what other things are available in other countries.  And I know if I wasn't able to get the U.S. subs I'd love to have the opportunity to receive them.  I'd love to see how other countries compare in their favorites.  Even when we get Glossy Box here, it'll be a different version than the UK box most likely, so that'll be fun.  Countries that are really exotic to me like India would be amazing to get subs from.  I'd have to translate the versions of the descriptions though!

This might be fun to do. I'm in Canada and could hook you up with either a glossybox or glymm subscription - currently Luxe Box and Topbox are on waitlists. Maybe 3 months would be a good exchange period?

Originally Posted by Margo Julianna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This might be fun to do. I'm in Canada and could hook you up with either a glossybox or glymm subscription - currently Luxe Box and Topbox are on waitlists. Maybe 3 months would be a good exchange period?
Sure, I'm definitely up for that.  Let me know which subs you want in exchange.  I would love to trade a Glossybox Canada and a Glymm for two subs of your choice for three months.  Birchbox has been having a waiting list and opening it up again, but I have multiple subscriptions already and would gladly set aside one for you.  MyGlam did open up subscriptions recently, but I'm not sure if they're still taking subscribers. There is also Sample Society, Beauty Box 5, Beauty Army, Julep which is nail polishes and mani/pedi type goodies, Look Bag by InStyle magazine, and then quarterly types that you may be interested in like New Beauty Test Tube, QVC Test Tube, Beauty Fix (where you choose your products, 8 products for usually $49.99 but Annelle, one of the senior staff here at Makeup Talk got us a great deal where you can get the 8 products for $29.99 as a special for spring/summer).  Beauty Army is also on a waitlist, but I have two subscriptions and could let you use one for the three month time period if you choose that one.

I signed up for the waitlist for Luxebox and tried to for Top Box, just in case, but they need an actual Canadian address even to get on the waitlist.  Sounds like it'll be fun!  If you can start it for May, June and July that would be great.  Just let me know.  

I would totally be willing to do this as well if any other canadians are interested! Wouldn't this be more simple: If I live in the U.S and you in Canada, I can give you my address and you can just buy a birch box or whatever else you want and just put your billing info buy my shipping info? And vice versa? 

I don't know if that would work, but if not we could always just do what the above people said and just purchase them for each other! 

Margo Julianna and I are pioneering this process for ourselves and have worked through some kinks, so if any other ladies want specifics on how to make it easier feel free to pm me. We are doing a three month 2 subscription trade to start, she's getting Birchbox and Beauty Army through me and I'm getting Glossy Box Canada and Glymm through her. Some subs let you put in U.S. billing addresses for a Canadian sub and some don't but have other ways around this that we learned through phone calls on both of our parts and emails galore. Other subs have long waiting lists, so if you're contemplating this, I'd advise getting on the lists. Beauty Army is still on a waiting list so I'm giving her my second sub for BA so it'll still work smoothly even if she doesn't get her invite link soon. If you get the correct budget shipping, it'll be about $25 for each person, $25 Canadian and $26 U.S. for us to send each other a package with 6 boxes in the respective packages. The exchange rate is fairly comparable at this time - $15.60 = $15, I can't remember which way it favors. Even with the shipping costs, the excitement and fun makes it worth it, in my opinion. In addition, most of the boxes we've received so far are pretty great values, definitely being worth quite a bit more than the subscription price and introducing us to new brands regardless. I'm still up for more trades, so if anyone can get me a Luxe Box, Top Box or any other subs from Canada, the U.K.or really anywhere else I'm open to offers. If you get to me soon, you may even get in on the coveted May Gossip Girl Birchbox. I think Margo Juliana will vouch for me on my communication skills and being willing to go the extra mile to get this done and make it exciting and worth it for each party. And pretty soon I'll have a great reference through her when she gets her end of our trade and I'll be able to recommend her as well, she's been a pleasure to work with. Hope this helps!

I do wish these beauty box companies would make it easier for international billing (!) but other than that, I'm excited for sweetiegirll and my trade - it will be awesome to see these boxes and definitely feel like Christmas in August when the whole package ships! Yeah, good communication is definitely key when it comes to setting up an exchange like this, but it can be done (sweetiegirll  has been really great helping to set this whole thing up). 

Originally Posted by Margo Julianna /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do wish these beauty box companies would make it easier for international billing (!) but other than that, I'm excited for sweetiegirll and my trade - it will be awesome to see these boxes and definitely feel like Christmas in August when the whole package ships! Yeah, good communication is definitely key when it comes to setting up an exchange like this, but it can be done (sweetiegirll  has been really great helping to set this whole thing up). 
I feel the exactly the same way.  It's been fun thinking about all the goodies we'll get!  The funny thing is, I'm almost more excited for Margo because I've gotten such great beauty products from the subs that I have and I want to share the joy and make it available to her in Canada, so she can have the fun of anticipating which Birchbox she'll get and have the ability to play with her profile and pick her samples through Beauty Army.  I've been wanting a Glossybox sub for a while now, since I've been seeing all of the cool unboxings from other countries, so I'm excited to try Canada's version too.  And Glymm is a total surprise for me, which I love.  

Margo has been an awesome partner to arrange this swap with.  We've had really good communication and it's definitely win/win.  

Latest posts

Back