Gastric Bypass Surgery

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so....what does everyone think about GPS? I have been in the process of doing all the prep work (doctors appts/sleep apnea clinic/paperwork) for the last 6 months.

On Monday I take a Pshyc Eval at a Mental Health Clinic. It's a 4 hour test to see if I am a good candidate mentally to have this surgery. It is not a quick decision thing. They make you go thru lots of classes and appointments to make sure you are ready for a life change. Last Thursday nite I had to attend a sleep clinic. They wired me all up and watched me on a tv camera to see if I have sleep apnea. Wow....what an experience that was. I don't think I slept all night!

Anyway, I am ready for this only because I am 100 1bs (WOW) overweight and I have 4 discs that are missing from my back. I also have Degenerative Disc Disease and the spine is losing water. Wow....I'm ony 51 and if I don't lose the weight it will only get worse. The problem is...I can diet but I can't excersize because of my back. When I lose the weight I can start exercizing and build the core of my back up again.

I haven't told anyone this yet...except my hubby who is behind me 100%! Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

I worked 2 years for a surgeon who did bariatric surgery. I have mixed feelings because some people would come in 40 pounds overweight and thought that this was a quick fix for them. Afterall, they were paying cash so we did not turn them away. However, for those people who have a very high BMI and have complications that are life threatening such as hypertension and diabetes and the surgery risks outweigh the disease, I think it is worth it. Just remember it is a life change, not a quick fix. Most people who have this surgery lose weight very quickly. Sometimes the rapid weight loss is do to dumping sydrome (yes, it is what you think!) I will tell you one thing. Working in that office helped me keep my weight down because the people who actually needed the surgery made you feel such compassion for them and they let you know that you would not want to walk one day in their shoes.

When I worked as a visiting nurse I took care of dozens of these patients post-op. The ones that went by the book, did really well. Those that ate whatever they wanted and/or did not take care of their incisions properly had nightmare recoveries. I took care of one who had to have multiple surgeries afterwards to fix the messes she made of her incisions....took her over a year to heal.

I sat down and read the large notebooks that these patients had about their postop diet and care. I was amazed at how through it was!

I think it's a great idea for people who have tried the diet and exercise road and truly can't take the weight off AND who will follow their pot-op instructions to the letter.

Meg

I've heard good stories and bad stories, and I hope all goes well for you!!! Take care of yourself and stick with the doctor's program! And then take some pics of your hot new bod to show us after you're all done with recovery!

I wish you lots of luck to your new life!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I hope all goes well for you, with a speedy recovery, no complications, and the will to do what your new instructions are. I also want to see pics of your new self!

Good Luck Sweetie, i hope all goes well. It's good that you are getting assesed to see if this is suitable for you and i wish you all the best. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.Good Luck!!!

praying for your success and speedy recovery!
claps.gif

Originally Posted by Pinkymarz so....what does everyone think about GPS? I have been in the process of doing all the prep work (doctors appts/sleep apnea clinic/paperwork) for the last 6 months.
On Monday I take a Pshyc Eval at a Mental Health Clinic. It's a 4 hour test to see if I am a good candidate mentally to have this surgery. It is not a quick decision thing. They make you go thru lots of classes and appointments to make sure you are ready for a life change. Last Thursday nite I had to attend a sleep clinic. They wired me all up and watched me on a tv camera to see if I have sleep apnea. Wow....what an experience that was. I don't think I slept all night!

Anyway, I am ready for this only because I am 100 1bs (WOW) overweight and I have 4 discs that are missing from my back. I also have Degenerative Disc Disease and the spine is losing water. Wow....I'm ony 51 and if I don't lose the weight it will only get worse. The problem is...I can diet but I can't excersize because of my back. When I lose the weight I can start exercizing and build the core of my back up again.

I haven't told anyone this yet...except my hubby who is behind me 100%! Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

Latest posts

Back