Getting rid of a year-old perm.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to have straight hair but I got a body wave perm a year ago. Even though I washed my hair soon after getting the perm, my hair still has some waves and frizziness.

How can I finally get rid of this perm? After reading many horror stories, I'm wary of using at-home products. My parents also dislike the idea of me spending hundreds of dollars on Thermal Reconditioning just to get my hair back to how it used to be (haha).

Will a typical relaxer at a local salon permanently straighten my hair, or will it revert to its permed form after I wash it? Will a reverse perm get rid of the perm, or is that only meant to reduce frizz?

Thanks for any help you can give. I've been researching possible solutions for months and I'm worried that the only safe solution is $300+ Japanese straightening.
icon_neutral.gif
If you need any more information about my hair, just ask.

Originally Posted by Lark

I used to have straight hair but I got a body wave perm a year ago. Even though I washed my hair soon after getting the perm, my hair still has some waves and frizziness.
How can I finally get rid of this perm? After reading many horror stories, I'm wary of using at-home products. My parents also dislike the idea of me spending hundreds of dollars on Thermal Reconditioning just to get my hair back to how it used to be (haha).

Will a typical relaxer at a local salon permanently straighten my hair, or will it revert to its permed form after I wash it? Will a reverse perm get rid of the perm, or is that only meant to reduce frizz?

Thanks for any help you can give. I've been researching possible solutions for months and I'm worried that the only safe solution is $300+ Japanese straightening.
icon_neutral.gif
If you need any more information about my hair, just ask.

Hey lark! Welcome to MakeupTalk! The moderator, Janelle, will be with you momentarily on your question!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Hey lark! Welcome to MakeupTalk! The moderator, Janelle, will be with you momentarily on your question!
wink.gif
Thanks for the warm welcome!
smile.gif

Welcome Lark! Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, but I was at work - and there were 'people' around... so I had to sign off before I got caught! lol
wink.gif
Sorry to hear bout' your hair. Whenever you do a chemical process, you change the structure of the hair... so you might never have "your" hair again... or you might. Hair changes throughout your life, you can be curly through your teens, and by the time you hit 30, it's pin straight. Its' never usually THAT dramatic, but you get the idea
wink.gif
If you want, I would either check into the Japanese straightening (although straightening chemically is very damaging) or the reverse perm. See what your stylist recommends, because it's hard for me to give you a good answer when I can't see/feel your hair. Other option... just wait it out .
icon_neutral.gif

Latest posts

Back