Getting rid of spiders?!?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yuk, this grosses me out talking about it ... but for the last few weeks, we have found several spiders in our apartment, even though we have found very few over the past year that we've lived here. (Yet there's not near enough spiders to justify calling an exterminator!) Like today, I found a big spider in my cereal cupboard, and I could barely eat my breakfast after that because I kept imagining spiders swimming in my cereal bowl!
icon_eek.gif
(Yes I am afraid of spiders!!) Yesterday I found one in our laundry, and we have found several in the bathroom and shower... and of course I normally find them when hubby isn't around to kill them
icon_evil.gif

I know that Osage Orange fruits can repel poisonous Brown Recluse spiders -- a few years ago my parents started hiding Osage oranges under their furniture, and we saw a dramatic decrease in the number of brown recluses in the house! But I don't think we even have Osage Oranges up here where I am, and I don't *think* any of the spiders I've found have been brown recluses. So does anyone know of any tricks for getting rid of other kinds of spiders? Thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

As much as you hate them, remember that they eat all the gross other insects that we hate. I've actually seen an increase in spiders around my area too. I live in CT. I saw one while I was driving the other day, it came up from my dashboard and scared the daylights out of me. I just flicked it and then I wondered, OMG I hope its not in my hair or crawling up my leg...hahaha! I also had one in the shower the other day too. I just try to ignore them. One of my friends is so afraid of spiders that if she sees one in her car while she's driving she actually pulls over on the side of the road and jumps out of her car. HAAAAAAAA..... So, consider yourself lucky if you aren't as freaky as her.... As for getting rid of them, I think it's just that time of year for them. Maybe you should do a google and see if you can find any searches to see if other people have any good ideas.

I go to 'doityourself.com' community forums and they have tons of different information. You may be able to find information about insects.

Jen

Originally Posted by girl_geek Yuk, this grosses me out talking about it ... but for the last few weeks, we have found several spiders in our apartment, even though we have found very few over the past year that we've lived here. (Yet there's not near enough spiders to justify calling an exterminator!) Like today, I found a big spider in my cereal cupboard, and I could barely eat my breakfast after that because I kept imagining spiders swimming in my cereal bowl!
icon_eek.gif
(Yes I am afraid of spiders!!) Yesterday I found one in our laundry, and we have found several in the bathroom and shower... and of course I normally find them when hubby isn't around to kill them
icon_evil.gif

I know that Osage Orange fruits can repel poisonous Brown Recluse spiders -- a few years ago my parents started hiding Osage oranges under their furniture, and we saw a dramatic decrease in the number of brown recluses in the house! But I don't think we even have Osage Oranges up here where I am, and I don't *think* any of the spiders I've found have been brown recluses. So does anyone know of any tricks for getting rid of other kinds of spiders? Thanks!

Actually, I started following links on that Osage Orange site I posted, and learned that a lot of people think they repel all kinds of spiders, insects, and even mice! They had a study with rather promising results! Maybe I will have my mom mail me a few, lol -- I don't care what kinds of bugs spiders eat, I still don't want them around!! lol

Until you just posted this thread about Osage Oranges I have never heard of them. I'm wondering if they will attract other insects (fruit flies) from lying around the house? Plus I have a dog, if I know him, he'll try to get at them and eat them...hahaha.

Jen

Originally Posted by girl_geek Actually, I started following links on that Osage Orange site I posted, and learned that a lot of people think they repel all kinds of spiders, insects, and even mice! They had a study with rather promising results! Maybe I will have my mom mail me a few, lol -- I don't care what kinds of bugs spiders eat, I still don't want them around!! lol

I live in Michigan, although we don't have "poisonus spiders" there are some really big ones! I live about 1 mile from the beach and Lake Michigan. I have a lot of trees by my house, so needless to say I get lots of spiders and I hate them!

My husband found from ORTHO called Home defense max, it is a spray used indoors and out. Let me tell you, we went from having big ugly spiders hangin on my house outside, to not seeing one! You spray around doors, windows, cracks and crevices all over the house- in the basement, bathrooms, kitchen, behind appliance etc. It is a sharp stream that comes out in gets in all the spaces where they come out of. It is safe inside no smell, it takes an hour to dry. You don't have to leave your house or anything like that. Huge difference. I was so happy.. it is supose to last up to 6 months and so far it has been about 2 months and still nothing. We see the stray one every now and again, but nothing like it was.
claps.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek Yuk, this grosses me out talking about it ... but for the last few weeks, we have found several spiders in our apartment, even though we have found very few over the past year that we've lived here. (Yet there's not near enough spiders to justify calling an exterminator!) Like today, I found a big spider in my cereal cupboard, and I could barely eat my breakfast after that because I kept imagining spiders swimming in my cereal bowl!
icon_eek.gif
icon_evil.gif

Back