Getting to know one another

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea for a thread!!!

1. I was born & raised and still reside in NYC.

2. It's just me and my parents. I'm an only child which sucks.

3. I did a one year paid internship my sophomore year of college at Estee Lauder which I loved and didn't want to give up.

4. I love to travel and have been to some very beautiful places, Hawaii and other states in the US, various places in Europe, Canada, the Caribbean, and so on.

5. I would love to find a job where I could go all over the world and rate hotels, resorts, etc. Who wouldn't?!

6. Since turning 18 I have had 2 paid internships & 2 ridiculously boring jobs in the finance field.

7. Currently I am helping run the family contracting business & real estate ventures. I never pictured this is what I'd wind up doing, but I love it.

8. Although I live with my parents, I rarely ever see them. They don't really work and they travel a lot, I think too much. I feel like I'm an orphan.

9. I am working on something very special with someone and I hope it works out.

10. My favorite color is black. It always has been and I don't think it will ever change.

11. I am such a shy person I can't stand myself sometimes. Not really a confidence issue, I just don't get it.

12. I have a whole dresser full of make-up and beauty products. Is that wrong?

13. My love of shoes & bags is borderline addiction.

14. So is my love of clothing.

15. I can get a little OC about certain things and not about others. I think it may be some "new" kind of disorder.
icon_wink.gif

Joy & Charmaine, glad to hear you two are doing well. You are very strong women.

Originally Posted by Sofia Great idea for a thread!!!
1. I was born & raised and still reside in NYC.

2. It's just me and my parents. I'm an only child which sucks.

3. I did a one year paid internship my sophomore year of college at Estee Lauder which I loved and didn't want to give up.

4. I love to travel and have been to some very beautiful places, Hawaii and other states in the US, various places in Europe, Canada, the Caribbean, and so on.

5. I would love to find a job where I could go all over the world and rate hotels, resorts, etc. Who wouldn't?!

6. Since turning 18 I have had 2 paid internships & 2 ridiculously boring jobs in the finance field.

7. Currently I am helping run the family contracting business & real estate ventures. I never pictured this is what I'd wind up doing, but I love it.

8. Although I live with my parents, I rarely ever see them. They don't really work and they travel a lot, I think too much. I feel like I'm an orphan.

9. I am working on something very special with someone and I hope it works out.

10. My favorite color is black. It always has been and I don't think it will ever change.

11. I am such a shy person I can't stand myself sometimes. Not really a confidence issue, I just don't get it.

12. I have a whole dresser full of make-up and beauty products. Is that wrong?

13. My love of shoes & bags is borderline addiction.

14. So is my love of clothing.

15. I can get a little OC about certain things and not about others. I think it may be some "new" kind of disorder.
icon_wink.gif

Joy & Charmaine, glad to hear you two are doing well. You are very strong women.

Thank you Sofia, you're sweet.
smile.gif
My whole issue lasted about a month -- Charmaine had much bigger struggles to deal with, I'm sure.
That would be an awesome job, to rate hotels. I'm curious about your internship at Estee Lauder -- did you work in the corporate office?

I amazed, so many of u have been thru so much - glad to hear everyones doin' well now though! Joyeuux, i have to admit i was curious about ur heritage as well, Question answered! Sofia, u seem soooo busy!

Erin - u crack my ass up grl! We shall prevail in this insane business we have choosen, and when we do, we'll kick the worlds ass with our mad skillz! I so look forward to getting to know ya better both professionally and personally, sux ur not still in tx, as im there alot. Someday though . . . soon i hope!

I am glad that everyone is enjoying this thread and especially glad that I am getting to know you all more. Here are some more about me:

1. I have experimented with a lot of recreational drugs in my past and even though I know that it wasn't the best thing to do, I don't regret it.

2. I can drink a lot of my friends under the table and I love taking shots.
13_4_7.gif

3. I am deathly afraid of cats. Don't know why but everytime I see one I freak out. All my friends think that this is hilarious so they always email me cat pictures.

4. I can be very sarcastic at times.

5. I wish I had a closer relationship with my mom and sister.

6. I haven't spoken to my father in almost 4 years and have no desire to do so. I heard that he is remarried and has a daughter.

7. I have only had one boyfriend and boy, was that relationship a mistake. I was 18 and he was 26, just came out of jail from a drug related offense and I was living on my own in LA going to school. I was totally into him and he treated me like crap. I was partying with him all the time and not going to school. I ended up getting kicked out of school because my grades sucked. Once I got kicked out of school and the dorms, I was working at a smoothie shop for minimum wage and decided to end it and go back home.

8. No one in my family knows that I got kicked out of school.

9. I like being alone but I don't like feeling lonely.

10. Right now, I have no desire to ever get married. However, I would like to be in a relationship. I am no longer looking for Prince Charming. I am looking for my valiant prince.

11. I am going to the U2 concert in November.
15_1_138.gif

12. I am a city girl and would love to live in a big city like San Francisco, Chicago or New York. I envision myself working in a downtown office (most likely a financial district) and having an awesome loft in town.

13. I have 36 cousins on my mom's side of the family.

14. Like Joy, I too had an ovarian cysts removed about 3 yrs ago. Mine however, was the size of an orange.
icon_eek.gif

15. I get really shy and quiet around guys, especially ones that I think are cute.

16. I used to go to raves and love techno music. Yes, I was one of those dorks with the glowsticks. I thought I was hot $hit!
5_1_122.gif

Originally Posted by SMAMI 2. I lived in Mexico and know it very well (Hola, Marisol, que onda?) Que onda SMAMI. Como estas? What part of Mexico did you live in?

Originally Posted by Charmaine I had a brain tumor when I was 14 but because of chemo and surgery, I'm in remission now. I am so glad that you are doing so well. You must have gone through a lot.
36_1_67.gif

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl I live in Oakland, and I have two part time jobs. One I do from home and the other requires that I go into San Francisco two days a week. Howdy neighbor. I live in Marin County.
4_1_202.gif

Originally Posted by Never2muchMU My relatives wont call me on Thursdays (when I use to have friends they wouldn't call me either) because for years that has been 'my' night. That's when I do my hair, nails, catch up on reading, hang out on Mut uninterrupted, or do whatever... it is for me to indulge myself in anything I want without interruption. I really love my Thursdays!!! images/smilies2/wub.gif People know that I will not answer my phone or answer my door on that day. That is so awesome that you have a day that you set aside for yourself. Everyone should always do that. We all worry to much about others and not enough about ourselves.

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Two years ago, I had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst that was the size of a golf ball. It was a big ordeal, but I'm healthy!
36_1_67.gif
Glad that you are doing better too.

Originally Posted by Charmaine Thanks Marisol! The size of an orange - that's huge! And I'm so glad too that you're doing better now. Thanks Charmaine:icon_love

My mom had tumor removed in her had so I can understand how things get scary. I am so glad you very nice ladies who had tumor or cancer and recovered and doing good.

Thanks Charmaine, she is doing good (know on wood!) but she gets checked every year to be sure. It's been 7 years...

Originally Posted by Charmaine Thank you Lilla! How is your mom doing?

Wow, this has been great reading stuff about everyone else!
smile.gif
Stuff about me...

#1 - I'm in my third year of college, working towards an English degree.

#2 - I still live at home with my family, and I don't work so I can focus on school.

#3 - I've been dating the same guy for almost 6 years, and I love him to death.
biggrin.gif

#4 - I hope to be married by the time I'm 22. (See #3, LOL)

#5 - I've been addicted to makeup since I was 16.

#6 - I've lived in good 'ol central North Carolina all my life, and unless for some unseen reason things don't work out with the boyfriend, I probably always will live here.

#7 - I'm shy by nature, and don't like to speak in front of a crowd.

#8 - I'm also really smart - trust me, I count my blessings.
smile.gif

#9 - The older that I get, the more obsessive compulsive tendencies I display.

#10 - I've suffered from anorexia since I was 14, and I've had two "episodes", the most recent one was a year ago, and I'm still in therapy.

#11 - I love anything pink or green.

#12 - I love my 6 year old black lab Kasey to pieces. He's spoiled rotten, and it's all my fault, LOL

#13 - I don't know what I would do if I didn't have places online (like MuT) to talk with others about makeup - I'd go insane!

#14 - My boyfriend is a fireman, and I'm planning to be a teacher... how cute!
tongue.gif

#15 - I'm really anal about organization - like Janelle, I could spend hours in an office supply store, and I also love places like The Container Store. I love to organize!

#16 - I'm super close with my family, especially my mom, grandma, and my uncle.

#17 - I've never had sex.

#18 - I rarely paint my nails.

#19 - I'm the first in my family to go to college.

#20 - I'm obsessed with MAC!

That's enough for now, before ya'll think I'm really crazy, LOL
wink.gif

Hi, I'm fairly new to this site and really love it. Everyone seems so positive and cool. I may be too late to post to this thread, but here's a little info about me:

1. Married to a wonderful guy, who I picked up on at a party over 10 years ago. We are still crazy about each other, have 2 beautiful children, and have been married for almost 8 years now.

2. I'm currently a Stay-At-Home mom. My children are my number one priority. My son, Jaedon, is six, and my daughter, Kaeli is 2. They are so much fun. Being a mommy rocks. (It's a lot more work than I thought though!)

3. I'm Dutch-Indonesian. Actually, I'm Dutch, Indonesian, French and German. Long story, but my parents grew up in Indonesia. At the time, it was a Dutch colony, so they speak dutch. I understand it fluently, and speak a little (just the naughty stuff). My husband's Filipino, so our kids are Dutch-Indonesian, French, German, Filipino.

4. When I was growing up, my mixed descent gave me a sort of identity crisis. Didn't know where i fit in. Now I love my exotic background.

5. I'm an only child and had a wonderful childhood. I am very, very close to my parents. Sometimes I wish my kids had cousins on my side.

6. I love to cook! And eat. I love watching the Food Network and getting ideas. Mostly I cook Filipino or Indonesian food, but we love everything.

7. I was a wild child in high school. Had a fake ID at 16. Also, when I was 16, my boyfriend was 21. So were most of my friends. I got a lot of partying out of my system early, I guess. By the time I got to College, I was pretty much done with it, and really focused on my studies.

8. I have a Bachelors in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Prior to being a Stay At Hom mom, I worked at a Technical Recruiter. That was before Silicon Valley went bust.

9. Grew up on the San Franciso Peninsula. My husband and I went through several moves, but finally settled down and bought a house in the San Ramon Valley, about 1 hour from San Francisco. This our first "house" (we owned a condo before, rented, etc.) and we love it. It's so ideal for the kids. We are truly blessed.

10. I have a tattoo on my lower back of the Chinese symbol of Good Fortune.

Gotta go cook dinner! Have a great evening, girls...

Nicole

Alright, since I had so much fun reading about everybody else, I thought I it would only be fair if I posted some stuff about me as well.

1. I hate bugs. Anything with more than 4 legs is on my shit list.

2. I have been VERY afraid of the dark for my entire life.

3. I am an animal lover.

4. I just graduated from college with a BS in accounting, and am currently interviewing for jobs. I screwed up on my first try at college so that's why I just now graduated at age 26.

5. My drug of choice is the ultra-powerful Skittle.

6. I watched my grandma die of lung cancer, so I will never take up smoking and can't stand to be in a relationship with a guy who smokes.

7. I have an older brother who has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of high-functioning autism.

8. I hate germs.

9. I have gained approx. 50 pounds since I first started college (went through a couple of bad relationships and a struggle to get out of the field that I was in) so I guess I should nix the Skittles.

10. I have an incredible family.

11. I honestly don't know how any woman learns to tolerate the way men operate.

12. I would like to get married & have kids someday, but don't know if I can ever develop the tolerance (see #11).

13. I am addicted to Starbucks (nonfat toffee nut latte, no whipped cream)

14. I suffer from migraines, but they are now under control thanks to preventative medications and Imitrex.

15. Nobody I know believes #9 above, so I must not look like I've gained that much.

16. I drink TONS of diet pop. Yes, it's pop. Not soda.

17. Simple things please me (i.e. stuffed animals, lip gloss, change purses)

18. I have a very dry sense of humor. My friends call me Daria, after the cartoon.

19. I've been told I look like Claire Danes. Oh, and Cameron Diaz. Yeah right.

20. I have been watching Guiding Light since I was 4.

21. I am very very VERY mean when I'm drunk.

22. I spaz about everything. Bad drivers, stupid people, etc. I just go crazy mad.

23. I swear a lot.

24. Every nightmare I've ever had was about me being stalked.

That's all I can think of for now.

Hi Charmaine,

My mother-in-law is an awesome cook. I learn by watching her. My husband's Aunt also gave me a really good Filipino cook book, which I refer to often. The dishes I make most frequently are Tinola, Adobo (Pork, Chicken, Eggplant, etc.), Afritada, Bulalo (sp?), Mechado, there are a few others I am forgetting. My kids love all of those dishes. My husband makes a really wicked (in a good way) Flan, but it's soooo rich and fattening. I recently made Pinakbet for a family get together. My husband's Auntie Baby said it was really good. Yay! I am still eager to try to make some of my other favorites like Bangus (milkfish), Pancit Palabok (lot of work), and Kare-Kare. Unfortunately, my kids are allergic to peanuts. What are your favorites? I love Halo-Halo, but it sticks to my thighs! And I also like Diniguan (sp?), but I don't like to think about how it's made! Also, have you ever tried Indonesian food? If you like Filipino food, I guarantee you'll love it.

My husband was born in the Philippines, near Manila. Although he grew up in New Jersey and has an East coast accent. His family speaks Tagalog, however he's not fluent. Did you grow up here? Anyway, maybe you can give me some cooking tips!

Take care!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine Wow, your husband is Filipino? So am I! So you know how to cook Filipino food - that's awesome that you know how. I'm curious, what kind of Filipino foods you can cook?

i am SOOOO glad everyone who's been sick are feeling better
smile.gif

great thread, marisol!

here i go...

• i have 2 sisters and 1 brother
  • my parents separated almost 3 years ago and it feels like yesterday
  • i'm very friendly and i always make people feel right at home
  • my english teacher came up to me on friday and said, "you're very assertive. it's a good thing."
  • i lost 35 lbs last year, but i gained most of it back because i was going through some depressing stage, but now that depression is out of my life (and will hopefully never be back)
  • i've been working since i was 13-14 so that i don't have to take money from my mom
  • now i'm working to pay for college starting next sept.
  • my mom works 16-hour days usually, so i've been like a mom to my 13-year-old sis for the past 2 years
  • i wish i kept in touch with people i grew up with in my old town, but i tried

Originally Posted by Charmaine

Wow you can make a lot of Filipino dishes! I love all kinds of Filipino food so lucky for me, my mom knows how to make a lot of them. She has a few cookbooks herself. She also makes flan, which is so sweet and delicious, but I agree, it's so fattening. I love Bangus, even though it's hard to get the teeny tiny fish bones out when you eat it. Hmmm this post is making me so hungry!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Also, good thing you like dinuguan - I love to eat that! I was actually going to ask you that if you like it since not a lot of non-Filipinos like it, because of how it's made (I'm gonna spare everyone the details, but no it's not dog or goat or anything, it's just pork
wink.gif
)
I've never tried Indonesian food cause there aren't any restaurants here that serve them. So you live in New Jersey now? I have some relatives in Jersey City. We visit a lot because there are so many Filipino restaurants and stores in there.

I myself still speak Tagalog as I've only been here for 9 years. I too, grew up near Manila - in the province of Laguna to be exact. My family and I came to the US because of my brain tumor and I needed to get an operation, and we are staying here for good.

As for cooking tips, sorry I can't be of any help!
icon_redface.gif
I cannot cook. AT ALL. My mom's been trying to teach me, but I just have an aversion to it. She tells me there's still hope for me since she didn't even know how to cook until she married my dad (both of them are Filipino, btw). Anyway, sorry to everyone for taking up so much space here. Nicole, if you would like to talk or chat or anything, you can just send me a pm here.

Charmaine, how about Balut?
wink.gif
I spent alot of time in the PI while in the US Navy. I found them to be nice people. I ate all kinds of filipino foods while there.

What is balut? now I am curious....

Originally Posted by Charmaine Wow, Tony, I never knew you were in the Philippines. When were you therre and where did you stay in the Philippines? Did you ever eat balut? I could never eat it. UGH! Even just looking at it creeps me out.

Hi Lilla,

I believe it's an unhatched Chicken embryo. So basically, it's an egg with a chick inside it. If you're a vegetarian, this is probably your worst nightmare. Apparently, it's delicious. It's considered a delicacy. Personally, I could never get myself to try it. I actually screamed when my mother-in-law offered me one.

Charmaine could probably give you a better description.

Originally Posted by lilla What is balut? now I am curious....

welcome nicolet! not sure if i welcomed you to mut yet.

i'm half filipino, and where i live only has 2 restaurants and one filipino market, but there's not much in any of them. so whenever i go home, i make my mom go to the filipino restaurants and go to the filipino store. lol.

i love halo halo!! i used to only eat the milk and ice when i was little, and now i eat all of it. hehehe. i also like that one dessert that's made with corn. and the rice dessert. and bilo bilo with those little rice flour balls. mmm... and then they fry chicken skin and you dip it in a spiced vinegar sauce. mmmmmmmm.... dang. i'm hungry now. lol.

i will not eat balut or dinaguan. i'm really picky about meat. lol. so i won't eat like liver or any other kind of intestine stuff. lol.

nice to see some filipinas on here
smile.gif

tony, my dad was in the PI when he was in the navy also. that's where he met my moms
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Charmaine

Wow, Tony, I never knew you were in the Philippines. When were you therre and where did you stay in the Philippines? Did you ever eat balut? I could never eat it. UGH! Even just looking at it creeps me out.

Yes I was there in the 80's when the US Navy still went there. Yep I was there for many months a few times...in Subic Bay. I have been around Luzon alot, in fact, I went to Manilla, Baggio, Subic, and other places alot...
No never ate Balut, but ate alot of other things there

Originally Posted by Nicolet

Hi Lilla,
I believe it's an unhatched Chicken embryo. So basically, it's an egg with a chick inside it. If you're a vegetarian, this is probably your worst nightmare. Apparently, it's delicious. It's considered a delicacy. Personally, I could never get myself to try it. I actually screamed when my mother-in-law offered me one.

Charmaine could probably give you a better description.

Duck Embryo I think. Balut played a big part on Survivor this year also

Originally Posted by Charmaine Wow Liz that's pretty cool! The rice dessert you're talking about, could it be puto? My mom makes that one too - with cheese on top! I love holidays cause then I get to eat all yummy Filipino food. So Liz, where in the Philippines is your mom from? Have you been there before? puto is good, but that's not the one i was talking about. it's sweet rice and sometimes they wrap it in banana leaves.

Back