Giving Up on MMU - I Want To Cry!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Everyone:

Unfortunately, I feel that I have to give up on MMU. Although, MMU is suppose to be better for you than traditional makeup, that isn't the case with me.

I have very oily, EXTREMELY acne-prone skin. So much so that I haven't had a clear face since I was 13 (I'm 26 now). Although I've gone to the dermatologist and done the necessary things to try and clear my skin, right now, it's just a matter of trying to keep new breakouts at bay.

I'm African-American, so my choices for MMU are more limited, and I also want something with really good coverage, due to my acne prone skin.

My first bout was with Milan Minerals. They had a color that matched me EXACTLY, I thought I'd found my HG. Within a week I started breaking out with really small pimples. Nothing had changed with my regimen besides the Milan, so I knew it was the Milan. As disheartened as I was, I stopped using it.

My second bout was with Monave. Although their color didn't match EXACTLY, I was willing to accept it. Within a week, my face broke out in HORRRIBLE, CYSTIC ACNE. Something, I haven't had in years. I had to stop using it, as well.

I never had these type of problems with traditional makeup. I did use Physician's formula MMU, which didn't break me out. I compared ingredient lists and couldn't really figure out what may be the problem, except possibly an allergy to high amounts of titanium dioxide, or just the combination of ingredients in PF worked out better.

I'm now using IMAN, which, I don't believe is breaking me out, but we'll see.

Sorry to be so long.......but I don't think I have any other option but to return back to traditional makeup..........unless ya'll have some suggestions.

Thanks

I'm sorry that mmu doesn't seem to be working out for you, sweetie!

I have a love/hate relationship with mmu myself...

I'm sorry it's not working for you! Which type of brush(es) are you using? A soft synthetic brush is best to minimize irritation often caused by animal hairs. Also, acne problems this severe are usually hormonal, which cannot be changed much by skincare or 1000 visits to a dermatologist. High levels of androgens, or just a fluctuating hormone level can cause frequent breakouts, which are often triggered by changes in skincare/makeup.

Also, I will recommend using jojoba oil as a cleanser and moisturizer in place of whatever skincare you use now. Most products geared towards acne are so harsh they do more harm than good. Jojoba oil mimics your skin's natural oil, thus cutting down oil production, clogged pores, and pimples.

go back to your dermotoligist and DEMAND accutane. it saved my life. if you derm will not give it to you then ask they for a referral derm that will!!!

I'm sorry MMU didn't work for ya.
frown.gif

I'm sorry that you haven't had a lot of success yet. I hope that there is a product that you can tolerate. My oldest daughter spent a couple of years with a dermatologist. He kept suggesting Accutane. I really didn't want this for her because she didn't have cystic acne. We took her to the family doctor to be put on the pill. That was the only thing that helped her acne. My husband wasn't thrilled to put our high schooler on the pill, but she already had some acne scarring and I didn't want it to get worse. I do know several people where accutane did wonders for their skin.

I also recommend going on Accutane if you have severe acne. Also, go to acne.org if you haven't already, they have some good information on their message boards that might interest you - ingredient lists to avoid and such. Hope all the best!

i'm sorry mmu isn't working for you
frown.gif
i got rid of my oily t zone with alep soap, it did wonders on my skin.

Jiro: I actually use a flocked sponge to apply any makeup to my face, as it gives me more coverage. As my acne is pretty much genetic (my mother is in her mid 50s and still breaks out and my sister has it has well), there's not much any dermatologist can do for me at this point. I will consider using the jojoba oil as part of my regimen.

Seymour5000: My dermatologist has suggested accutane, but after some of horror stories that I've read about accutane regarding the side effects, and considering that my mother had been on it before (after her bout, she started having joint problems), I felt it was in my best interest to not go on accutane. Thanks for the advice, though.

OHappydayes: The only one I actually bought for the store was Physician's Formula, which didn't break me out. But, the ones that I bought online (Milan Minerals and Monave) broke me out horribly. I am a brown skinned girl with yellow undertones, so it is more difficult to find my coloring in the stores, as drug store brands tend to lean on the redder side of color.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Keep em coming.

sgoofi I'm sorry that MMU do not work for you. In fact I'm thinking if it really works for me.

I cab understand that you do not want to go on accutane, while I rejected this from of therapy when my dermatologist proposed this. I have adult acne, I had wonderful skin untill I turned 28 and moved to the bigger and more polluted city.

However I think you may still try to fight acne. First I'm not so sure if jojoba oil is a good idea, while it cloges my pores, and I know many people who find jojoba as to "heavy" for the acne skin. Personally I would recommend lighter oils, and very mild detergents.

I also recommend trying topical retinoids like Retin - A, isotrexin or Tzorac. It heleped me a lot with my skin, however this is not easy way when you start with the topical retinoids and you have to be patient and prepare yourself to the hard time. The huge disadvantage of this therapy is that you need to use it untill the end of your life, but on the other hand, your skin will be clearer and much younger.

As to the minerals, I also start to think if they are good or bad for me ? When I use retinoids, and go on with my complicated skin regimen - they seem to work fine, but at the end of the day I have a strange rash and feel a bit of itching on the left side of my chin. Only there.

When I went on vacation and used my mmu only in the evenings, just 3-4 hours, and used only basic moisutiser, when I came back from vacation my skin looked just terrible.

However I have no idea how my skin would react if I used a liquid foundation. I have a full drawer of samples and some on their way (just bought foundation adjusters) so I may not give up. I really belive (still, maybe it will change in time) that MMU lookes much better on the skin - but if it's better for the skin, that is still a question for me.

best wishes! i hope you overcome your troubles.

my story: my mother and i took accutane and it changed both our skin for the better. if you are healthy, have a healthy diet and get your vitimans and minerals, then there should not be a problem. i don't know what horror stories are out there but i would believe you should know the history of the user.

i would rather live with dryness than acne and scarring.

my dryness was only during my 6mth treatment. It's been 10 years now and I have never had issues. My mother was 38 when she went on it and she did not have any issues. She does have dryness of the eyes, but she's 49 now and a lot of this is age, menopause. She even admitts to that.

In my opinion, makeup can be linked to acne, but its important to treat acne before you end up with scars and pitted marks on your face. Especially if you have cystic acne. You can have acne into your 40's and 50's.

I had two courses of Accutane and still have acne. I got great treatment advice at acne.org. People there are on all different kinds of programs. There is BHA, green cream, benzoyl peroxide 2.5%, retin-a, mandelic acid and more that can help get rid of acne and prevent future acne and scars. This will also more than likely allow you to wear most brands of MMU. My skin is looking great these days.

Agatapas: Thanks for sharing your story. I was also rethinking the use of jojoba oil on my skin. When I went to the store to take a look at it, it seemed to heavy. I have used topical retinoids previously. My skin became immune to Retin-A, but I did have some success with Tazorac. I'm scheduled to see the dermatologist to get a refill for Tazorac. I ran out about 6 months ago and tried to see if my skin could live without it.

Seymour5000: Thanks for sharing your story. My mother went on Accutane in her early 30s and subsequently began having joint problems that she never had previously. Now in her mid 50s, her joint problems are so severe that she has had knee replacement in one knee and is scheduled to have replacement on the other.

Ohappydayes:Thank you for your suggestions. I took a look at Crush Groove and it seems good, but a bit pricey. I would like some more reviews on Crush Groove before I try it though, in regards to quality, texture, color, etc.,

Gina2328: I have actually been on acne.org for about a year, looking at different methods to help clear up my acne. Nothing specifically suggested has worked for me, but maybe I'm not being militant enough about the regimen. I give it some more consideration.

Thanks everyone.

Have you tried peels? Lactic, glycolic, salicylic, kojic? Neutrogena sells one that IIRC is a 20% glycolic peel to be used 2X a week (which is better than a strong one once a week, IMO) Just make sure to research that whatever you choose is suitable for your skin. Some are better for dark skin than others. HTH

sgoofi if you are seeing your dermatologist soon, ask him fot Tzorac and also for Isotrexin, and Differin. The mix of those three can do wonders. If your skin is tolerating those well you may also add glyco - a (it's 8 % glycolic acid cream). Tzorac is based on terazotene, and it's good for the signs of aging and for acne. Isotrexin is based on erythromycin and isotretoin and it's good to clear the skin and to cure existing pimples. Differin is based on adaplene and it's wonderfull, my skin loves differin and it doesn't irritate my skin at all. However with differin it happens that after sometimes the skin becomes resistant.

However when you stop using those your skin sooner or latter will come back to the old state. When I started my retoinoid story I also had three months of the antibiotics treatment and I think this also helped a lot, and I'm considering new treatment this year.

Latest posts

Back