Glossybox July

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So mad that they charged me before I even got my June box. . .  which is going to result in a $35 overdraft fee at my bank because we were on vacation so my husband didn't make a paycheck last week grrrr. I was still within budget so I thought! 

I was charged today as well. I'm wondering WHY they do billing like this. It doesn't matter a great deal to me when they draft it, but it is very frustrating to not even have the last month's box in hand before they take more of my money. I wonder if since they are just getting started they are using the money to purchase some of the samples. Which also makes me wonder why they aren't a little more established since they are in so many other countries. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by kcrowebird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was charged today as well. I'm wondering WHY they do billing like this. It doesn't matter a great deal to me when they draft it, but it is very frustrating to not even have the last month's box in hand before they take more of my money. I wonder if since they are just getting started they are using the money to purchase some of the samples. Which also makes me wonder why they aren't a little more established since they are in so many other countries. Thoughts?
Hmm that's an interesting theory. It actually seems to make sense. Either way, I feel like the billing date should be one consistent date. I will re-subscribe when I have more funds and if/when they get things under control. Overall, I've liked what I received with GB. Even if I still haven't received my "June" box.

Originally Posted by becarr50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm that's an interesting theory. It actually seems to make sense. Either way, I feel like the billing date should be one consistent date. I will re-subscribe when I have more funds and if/when they get things under control. Overall, I've liked what I received with GB. Even if I still haven't received my "June" box.
I would be happier if they waited until at least the second week of the month to charge. It would still be early, but would make a little more sense if they charged two weeks before shipping. I love their boxes too. I don't see myself cancelling, its just a little frustrating. Maybe they will get it together and be consistent soon.
smile.gif

I'll be cancelling after the July box ships, especially since they already billed me yesterday! The box contents are great and I've no complaints about that. What peeves me is the lack of business etiquette and poor practice/CS. I've yet to lay eyes on my box for "June" let alone see an update from 6/27 and it began its snail trail on 6/22. They charge at erratic times. No sub or it's contents are worth this much headache. I'll watch the threads and maybe I'll resub after several months, if they manage to get their poo in gear. What company can expect loyalty and respect when they don't excel?

Originally Posted by kcrowebird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would be happier if they waited until at least the second week of the month to charge. It would still be early, but would make a little more sense if they charged two weeks before shipping. I love their boxes too. I don't see myself cancelling, its just a little frustrating. Maybe they will get it together and be consistent soon.
smile.gif
I agree. I prob won't cancel yet either. Luckily I haven't had any CC issues yet (knock on wood) so I'm willing to stick it out a little while longer because I have been really happy with the products.

I think it is actually illegal to charge for something you don't actually have. I could be wrong. Like they can't charge us for the box and then buy the items with that money.

I don't think it's illegal to charge like they do, but it's certainly illogical. I love my Glossybox, but I did e-mail them to say that monthly subscribers would like to evaluate their boxes before continuing and that I could not do so if I was charged for the next month before I even got my June box. That being said, my box arrived today and I haven't had a chance to open it yet; I'm excited!

My June box arrived today! Finally. Now that I've seen it, I'm pretty sad about canceling. I love the contents more than I thought I would. That being said, therein lies the issue of being charged for the next month (what I was trying to avoid) before receiving this month's box. Sad, but true.

I had a sale in 2009 (or maybe 2010) and I had over 800 orders. Paypal took almost half of the money (and still has it as a "just in case") and I called them to tell them that I needed that money to buy supplies. I wasn't anticipating so many orders so I didn't have all the supplies I would need. They told me oh well and as a company, you need to have the supplies BEFORE you take the money. They never said it was illegal but that is what they told me. I had to end up paying for everything without that money as they still have it to this day, that is why I thought maybe it was illegal.

Illogical, yes, ethical, no. But who says they are really doing that, it just adds up.

Originally Posted by sleepykat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think it's illegal to charge like they do, but it's certainly illogical. I love my Glossybox, but I did e-mail them to say that monthly subscribers would like to evaluate their boxes before continuing and that I could not do so if I was charged for the next month before I even got my June box. That being said, my box arrived today and I haven't had a chance to open it yet; I'm excited!

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a sale in 2009 (or maybe 2010) and I had over 800 orders. Paypal took almost half of the money (and still has it as a "just in case") and I called them to tell them that I needed that money to buy supplies. I wasn't anticipating so many orders so I didn't have all the supplies I would need. They told me oh well and as a company, you need to have the supplies BEFORE you take the money. They never said it was illegal but that is what they told me. I had to end up paying for everything without that money as they still have it to this day, that is why I thought maybe it was illegal.

Illogical, yes, ethical, no. But who says they are really doing that, it just adds up.
Paypal is run by a bunch of criminals. Can't stand them. Sorry to hear you were burned too. I like google checkout much better.

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Paypal is run by a bunch of criminals. Can't stand them. Sorry to hear you were burned too. I like google checkout much better.
You may not like PayPal ( I DO) but you've made a libelous statement about a legitimate company which has clear cut policies in place. If a person feels ripped off by PayPal, it's  either because they accepted a payment from a country that PayPal does not insure funding for, or because the person didn't read the rules and ask questions prior to large scale transactions.

I am an Advantage member, and I couldn't do without PayPal. Their CS is always excellent if I have a question, too.

Laura.

Before my illness, I made & sold jewelry. I got contacted by a customer that needed these earrings by a certain day & could I overnight them to her. I did. Two days later, I get the earrings back from her. She wants her money back. I don't offer refunds under any cicumstances. It was clearly posted in 3 different sections in my shop. They were clearly worn. She wanted them for her function but probably coudn't afford them. I dont rent out jewelry, I sell it. She claimed that the earrings didn't match the picture. I told her she could exchange them (I even offered to remake them even though I was bedridden), she refused. She made a paypal claim against me. Paypal actually sided with me. Then 2 months later, paypal tried to deduct $500 from my account. The woman did a charge back w/ her bank. They did absolutely nothing to help. At least etsy banned the buyer who had a history of doing this.

That is why I can't stand paypal. There is a website called paypal sucks. Its filled w/ horror stories.

Originally Posted by LauraBrooks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You may not like PayPal ( I DO) but you've made a libelous statement about a legitimate company which has clear cut policies in place. If a person feels ripped off by PayPal, it's  either because they accepted a payment from a country that PayPal does not insure funding for, or because the person didn't read the rules and ask questions prior to large scale transactions.

I am an Advantage member, and I couldn't do without PayPal. Their CS is always excellent if I have a question, too.

Laura.

Before my illness, I made & sold jewelry. I got contacted by a customer that needed these earrings by a certain day & could I overnight them to her. I did. Two days later, I get the earrings back from her. She wants her money back. I don't offer refunds under any cicumstances. It was clearly posted in 3 different sections in my shop. They were clearly worn. She wanted them for her function but probably coudn't afford them. I dont rent out jewelry, I sell it. She claimed that the earrings didn't match the picture. I told her she could exchange them (I even offered to remake them even though I was bedridden), she refused. She made a paypal claim against me. Paypal actually sided with me. Then 2 months later, paypal tried to deduct $500 from my account. The woman did a charge back w/ her bank. They did absolutely nothing to help. At least etsy banned the buyer who had a history of doing this.

That is why I can't stand paypal. There is a website called paypal sucks. Its filled w/ horror stories.
Are you trying to tell me that the earrings you made cost $500?

Did you CALL Paypal and talk to them? I'm sorry but nothing about what you say they did jibes with my experiences with them. I do know that they almost always side with the buyer.

I am always the buyer.

People selling items have complained about PayPal fees for years, but I think something is kind of missing in your account of what they did and why and what you did in response other than to say " PayPal is bad" and there is a website called " PayPal sucks".

Lots and lots of websites with irate and sometimes, irrational people, on tirades against almost every company imaginable. The vitrol diminishes the validity of the claims substantially.

Did you CALL Paypal and talk to them? I'm sorry but nothing about what you say they did jibes with my experiences with them. I do know that they almost always side with the buyer.

I am always the buyer.

People selling items have complained about PayPal fees for years, but I think something is kind of missing in your account of what they did and why and what you did in response other than to say " PayPal is bad" and there is a website called " PayPal sucks".

Lots and lots of websites with irate and sometimes, irrational people, on tirades against almost every company imaginable. The vitrol diminishes the validity of the claims substantially.
Do you seriously think I wouldn't call them? Yes, I talked to them several times. They won't dispute chargebacks (even though they claim they do) because they cost so much money. They always side w/ the buyer which is why I don't use them anymore. I mentioned the website since there are many stories just like mine & worse.

Yes, the earrings were $500. They have raw diamonds in them. I made high end pieces. Paypal froze my account & then sent me to collections. I never complained about their fees so drop the attitude.

I fought the collection charges & won. But I would never use paypal again.

I think this has gotten a little out of hand. Souly stated an opinion based on an experience she had with PayPal. So she does not like them. It's her opinion..nothing more and nothing less. Regardless of how much her work/craft cost, that was the price people were willing to pay. Maybe she made a comment in distaste, in your opinion, but we're not here to insult each other or question what people do in their lives. You like PayPal and don't agree with her opinion, which is also fine. Agree to disagree, please and keep it clean.

Do you seriously think I wouldn't call them? Yes, I talked to them several times. They won't dispute chargebacks (even though they claim they do) because they cost so much money. They always side w/ the buyer which is why I don't use them anymore. I mentioned the website since there are many stories just like mine & worse.

Yes, the earrings were $500. They have raw diamonds in them. I made high end pieces. Paypal froze my account & then sent me to collections. I never complained about their fees so drop the attitude.

I fought the collection charges & won. But I would never use paypal again.

I am always the buyer.

Laura
I have to disagree. I have also had issues with paypal similar to Souly...except my shop sells much less expensive jewelry and art I make ($5-$30). My shop clearly has a no refund policy and I had a customer pay, receive the product, then file a paypal dispute like a week later because she changed her mind. Paypal sided with me especially since she didn't send the item back, but then deducted the price of the jewelry from my account when the buyer filed a dispute with her bank. I called them and they basically said I was out of luck. You are correct when you say they always side with the buyer whether they are right or wrong, but any company who won't protect sellers from being ripped off is in my opinion a bad company. 

Latest posts

Back