Glycerin plus water??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen a few people mention this now - what is this, and how does it work? Is it for dry skin only?

I use a Mario Badescu cleanser (called enzyme cleaning gel) that is based mainly of glycerin and water (and a few fruit extracts). I have combination skin and it works perfectly- gets of all of my makeup and its gentle and moisturizing, but still helps my oily areas.

Now I won't use any other kind of cleanser because I've discovered, the simpler the better for my skin.

i only use it as a replacement for 'mixing medium' on pigments, is actually the first time i hear ppl use it as make-up remover too. I still wouldnt use it for that but i sure love the use for pigments =)

Originally Posted by chococat123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Okay, I did some research online and notice that ppl mix glycerin and water to make a moisturizer. Anyone try this? If you go on makeupalley.com and searched glycerin under unlisted brands, there are rave reviews on it. go check it out if you haven't already.

I use glycerin with a little pure aloe vera gel instead of the water as a moisturizer. I just wash my face as normal, and while the skin is still a little damp, put a little dab of glycerin in my hand then an equal or bigger amount of the aloe gel and mix them together, then just put it on like a moisturizer. You do have to dilute it with something though (I'm not sure why, maybe it's too strong for facial skin by itself). I just feel better knowing that I'm in control of what's going on my face sort of... and it's fragrance free and doesn't ever break me out.

Originally Posted by TheOpenRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use glycerin with a little pure aloe vera gel instead of the water as a moisturizer. I just wash my face as normal, and while the skin is still a little damp, put a little dab of glycerin in my hand then an equal or bigger amount of the aloe gel and mix them together, then just put it on like a moisturizer. You do have to dilute it with something though (I'm not sure why, maybe it's too strong for facial skin by itself). I just feel better knowing that I'm in control of what's going on my face sort of... and it's fragrance free and doesn't ever break me out. Using glycerin alone will dry out your face instead of moisturizing it apparently.

That makes sense, and actually now that you say that I remember that I read something that said glycerin's moisturizing properties are due to the fact that it takes in the moisture from water molecules in the air, so i guess if you use it with water or something similar -- it will moisturize with the water from that. And if you don't use it with anything, it will attempt to take the moisture out of your skin!

I really want to try this, I'm going to have to get some glycerin next time I'm out shopping.

I'm looking at trying this soon too. Someone posted on here (I think) about using 1 part glycerine to 9 parts water (by using a measuring syringe) and it makes a 'serum' you can use under things. This sounds interesting to me and want to try it for under my sunscreen. And if that doesn't work I need mixing medium anyway so I'll try it for that!

Has anyone used a glycerine/water combo as a base for e/s rather than just mixing the pigments with it?

Hmm - I dont have any glycerin at home, but will def give this a go. I had a look at the reviews, and it seems that you need to use a pretty high ration for it not to be sticky or oily.

Maybe mixing in a drop with an aqueous moisturiser would work just as well? I will give give this a try and report back!

I use this now. It is so great. Mine is mixed about 4 to 1. I only use it at night after I clean my face. I put mine in a spray bottle. I also spritz it on my neck, bustline. It has really made a difference in the moisture level of these areas. I was getting dry from the winter and I am usually a tad oily. The next day after using this the first time, I had a glow about my skin again. I have used ever since.

i use 1 part glycerin to 9 parts water. I just use it on the dry parts of my face. The next my flakies are gone. Just make sure you make a new batch every week or so otherwise bacteria may grow in it because there is no preservatives to make it last ages.

I read that the reason glycerin alone is drying is because it is a humectant which means it pulls moisture out of the air. That is why if you have oily skin and live in humid climate, you can use it as a moisturizer alone whereas someone who has dry skin and lives in Arizona would have to mix it with a natural oil or other moisturizer to hold in the moisture to the skin.

Originally Posted by chococat123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif So glycerin mixed with water will still be drying? Yes because you still need an emolient like natural oil or moisturizer to hold in the moisture. Add a little vitamin e oil to your mix and see if that helps. Or try Jojoba oil.

Thanks Chococat
smile.gif

I have used a home-made mixture of glycerine and rose water and it's actually very good for the hands. Makes them soft and appealing.

Latest posts

Back