Going To Get My Hair Did Today...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha. Thanks very much, my whole family likes my hair curly too.

And yeah, it is THAT curly. Only it looked odd when I had it long. Thanks again, for the comments.

Celly I love your new cut!!! I never thought it was that curly....I'm so jealous! I've always wanted curly hair. My mom's hair is curly but my dad's is stick-straight, and that's what I got.
frown.gif
Yeah I agree that stylist was exaggerating there with the "it will fall off part". I do all kinds of stuff to my hair and when it gets damaged, I just get it trimmed. It never fell off on me. LOL. When are we going to see the straightened version of your new cut? I can't wait!
smile.gif

your hair looks too healthy to break from conditioner and hot tools..pfft that guy. cute.

Originally Posted by aliciajoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif I love your short hair, it's super cute, and much easier to maintain, I would think!! Actually, short hair when it's curly is WAYYYY harder to maintain haha. I had mine real short for a while (still kind is but not when its straight) and I couldnt ever do anything with it. It was always a mess and blahh. I had to put an actual curling iron over my own curls cause my curl formation sucks haha.

Curly hair is hard to maintain, period.

The stylist doesn't get it when I say my hair gets puffy and that's why I rather straighten it often.

I dunno, I'm just not into the afro look.And yeah, Minders - I never thought of my hair as damaged, just dry at the ends. My dad was like, "he prolly said that so he wouldn't have to blow dry all your hair"... haha whateve'.

But thanks, guys.

I'll take another picture straighten it and put it in a new thread.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Curly hair is hard to maintain, period. The stylist doesn't get it when I say my hair gets puffy and that's why I rather straighten it often.

I dunno, I'm just not into the afro look.And yeah, Minders - I never thought of my hair as damaged, just dry at the ends. My dad was like, "he prolly said that so he wouldn't have to blow dry all your hair"... haha whateve'.

But thanks, guys.

I'll take another picture straighten it and put it in a new thread.

I am beautician and I have seen all sorts of hair textures. I just wanted to back up a few points. I'm pretty sure your stylist knows that your hair will get puffy, its kind of common sense in our world. Its like second nature for us to look at someones hair and think, "Looking at the hair texture, I can tell that it will frizz up after its dry if I dont put anything on it." Another point is we stylist, only want to keep the interequity of the hair in tip top shape. That is the most important part of our job, to keep your hair HEALTHY! Because you may or may not know what is the best product or hot tool to use. Now, to the flat iron comment..when using the right kind of flat iron, it should do minimal damage to your hair. Flat Iron's are patrically perfected now so that they leave your hair shiny and smooth with little to no breakage. But since your hair is thick and curly, you may experience breakage because curly hair is naturally weaker. Anyway, that was my two cents
smile.gif

Seriously? Find another stylist.

This guy is blowing smoke up your butt to get you to feel you have to rely on him.

Find a stylist that knows what they are talking about (It doesn't sound like he does) or better still, learn how to take care of your own hair and boot the stylists for good.

I haven't been to a stylist in more than 10 years and I have no regrets; no one knows my hair better, no one knows how to care for it better, I have been able to color, bleach, double process, trim, blow dry, flat iron, braid individual extensions- whatever I wanted to do I HAVE DONE MYSELF because I don't want to hear some stylist's propaganda or pay for someone's ego; don't get me wrong, there are some amazing stylists, but there are too many who are full of themselves and want you to be dependant on them and the good, supportive ones who truely are there to care for hair are hard to find, especially for black hair.

Just do some investigating and find another person (be it you or a pro) and stop letting this guy make you feel bad about about how you care for your hair and find someone who actually just wants your hair to be healthy and look good.

Originally Posted by CellyCell /img/forum/go_quote.gif Omph. Okay, so the hairstylist was like "honey, don't straighten your hair ever. No chemicals, no blow dryer, no nothing. Keep hair curly as long as possible. You have breakage building up. Its okay now until one day you mess it up big time and all of it will fall out."
Says everything I was doing to it was wrong. And I thought I was doing a decent job. Haha. I only ever relaxed it once and that was last month. I blow dry my hair about once a week. Rarely use a flat iron. And put leave-in conditioner in my hair. Only bad thing I thought I did was not getting it trim so often. Apparently it was "destroying" my hair. I guess he got an exagerated idea because my hair is pretty decent compared to the damage shit I see people doing to theirs with them flat irons. I can't imagine how their hair is. Eesh.

Anyways, he said my makeup was great. Lmao. "I had to give you a compliment...but really, leave hair curly."

Ah, he's great - just not when talking about my hair :

Anyway, pics will up soon. I'm anxious to see how it is straighten (bah ha, so much for his words of wisdom). He kinda did his own thing with my hair, it looks good tho... but... who knows.

wow...i love it! both ways... I'm surprised to see your hair that curly. i always loved your hair, it always looks good. My natural curl is exactly like yours when it is cut that length.

Originally Posted by Jinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif Seriously? Find another stylist.This guy is blowing smoke up your butt to get you to feel you have to rely on him.

Find a stylist that knows what they are talking about (It doesn't sound like he does) or better still, learn how to take care of your own hair and boot the stylists for good.

I haven't been to a stylist in more than 10 years and I have no regrets; no one knows my hair better, no one knows how to care for it better, I have been able to color, bleach, double process, trim, blow dry, flat iron, braid individual extensions- whatever I wanted to do I HAVE DONE MYSELF because I don't want to hear some stylist's propaganda or pay for someone's ego; don't get me wrong, there are some amazing stylists, but there are too many who are full of themselves and want you to be dependant on them and the good, supportive ones who truely are there to care for hair are hard to find, especially for black hair.

Just do some investigating and find another person (be it you or a pro) and stop letting this guy make you feel bad about about how you care for your hair and find someone who actually just wants your hair to be healthy and look good.

I felt like you hit me right in the stomach. We as Cosmetologist become who we are because we not only want to help people with their hair, but we want to make them feel good. And yes, there may be some different cosmetologist out there who dont care at all. You learn to move on and find one you like. I am sorry that you have such a negative attitude towards this profession. But I just wanted to say that I have a lot of clients that have black hair...and luckily I know what I am doing because I've gone through extensive training on every different hairtype. And too this day I continue to go to classes and learn new techniques because I dont want to live in the dark ages. But, a lot of my clients with black hair always come back to me because when they tell me something about their hair, I understand. If you tell a cosmetologist about your hair and look them in the eye and say "when my hair is dry, it puffs up everywhere"...most of us will understand and do everything in our power to make it look perfect and to make you feel good. I'm sorry that you have such a negative attitude towards the cosmetology world.

I think you are taking it too personal, what she said was common sense, nobody knows your own hair like yourself. You shouldnt feel like you're being hit in the stomach because of that. She said there were good and bad stylists, just as there are the good and bad in every other profession.

Yeah, what Minders said. Haha... it's nothing serious and did give helpful tips.

But it just seem hypocritical of him to tell me I shouldn't blow dry my hair when the client before me was getting her hair blow dried. Like I said, I take good care of my hair compared to a lot of other people. I didn't feel it necessary for him to say I was doing everything wrong with it when I don't really do nothing with it. Haha.

I blow dry it once a week and leave it alone for the weekend. I dyed my hair prolly 4 times in my life time. Relaxed it several times with many years in between. Compare that to folks who use flat irons every day, dye their hair monthly or every other month, relax it every other week. Haha. Whatever.... I would go back to him to cut my hair, anyways.

I pointed out that are some good stylists as well, nothing was directed to you HOWEVER, as a black woman with black woman friends who has seen how black woman are taken for a ride with stylists then I stand by my statment.

It's one thing for a stylist to encourage someone how to properly care for her hair - one who LISTENS and doesn't try to conandeer that clients head of hair- and to come in for services as a treat or because it's easier or enjoyable for the client, it's a whole other game when a stylist consistantly tells the client what ever she does is wrong and that she should only let the stylist decide what to do with the hair and tries to make the client ully dependant on that stylist; seriously, I know grown woman who don't even know how to wash their own hair because they have had the fear put in htem by their stylists. Sorry, but it happens more often than people want to admit.

Why do you think certain stylists are near impossible to get an appontment with? Because too many women have had bad experiences and when they finally find a good one, they LOCK on and don't let go!

Like I said, nothing was directed to you so don't take it personally- I wasn't talkinga bout you, I was referring to Celly's problems with HER stylist and her complaints that are heard way too often by way too many women.

Originally Posted by Stylist101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I felt like you hit me right in the stomach. We as Cosmetologist become who we are because we not only want to help people with their hair, but we want to make them feel good. And yes, there may be some different cosmetologist out there who dont care at all. You learn to move on and find one you like. I am sorry that you have such a negative attitude towards this profession. But I just wanted to say that I have a lot of clients that have black hair...and luckily I know what I am doing because I've gone through extensive training on every different hairtype. And too this day I continue to go to classes and learn new techniques because I dont want to live in the dark ages. But, a lot of my clients with black hair always come back to me because when they tell me something about their hair, I understand. If you tell a cosmetologist about your hair and look them in the eye and say "when my hair is dry, it puffs up everywhere"...most of us will understand and do everything in our power to make it look perfect and to make you feel good. I'm sorry that you have such a negative attitude towards the cosmetology world.

Ooh I love your hair both ways. I had no idea you had naturally curly hair either!

Which section is the straight new cut posted? FOTD?

Back