Good books?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kee made a post earlier about a racy book that made me want to start reading again. I love love love a good book, but I don't know where to start in finding one. What are some of your favorite books?? I like something that is really vivid and really captures your attention.

I used to be such a nerd when I was younger... I read for pure enjoyment and now I don't. It has to be forced upon me. But I did get to read a few good books along the years - especially books I read during my Sophomore year in High School. My teacher had good taste... haha.

Night by Elie Wiesel (Great, short book about a Holocaust survivor. Im on his second novel.)

5 People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Rain Of Gold by Víctor E. Villaseñor (Some parts are in spanish tho, like the slangs and what not but they're explained)

I read night for year 12! It's incredibly vivid - the kind of book that is painful to read because it's so stark and shocking, but also that you don't think you could have missed - it's an amazing book

I loved harry potter. The first chapter took me a while to get into but I've read all of them and watched all the movies and I got hooked after the first movie!

the hobbit is a classic, or lord of the rings if you skip through all the poems and singing in it and just read the story, LOL.

good luck with your book search! I'll be interested to see what other people suggest.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I read night for year 12! It's incredibly vivid - the kind of book that is painful to read because it's so stark and shocking, but also that you don't think you could have missed - it's an amazing book
I loved harry potter. The first chapter took me a while to get into but I've read all of them and watched all the movies and I got hooked after the first movie!

the hobbit is a classic, or lord of the rings if you skip through all the poems and singing in it and just read the story, LOL.

good luck with your book search! I'll be interested to see what other people suggest.

I've read the Lord of the Rings including the Hobbit and I actually liked them more than the movies. And I am a Harry Potter nerd, I must admit, I love the movies. But I haven't read the books yet. In your opinion would they still be enjoyable to read if I've already seen the movies?? And I'm deffinately going to check out the first book you said.
I must try Night by Elie Wiesel as well since both of you recommended it. I just gotta find my library card, lol.

Personally, reading the book before you watch the movie is better.

If you already watched them, you kinda know what to expect. I'm a HP fan and the books are a million times better than any movie produced for them.

Ever heard of David Sedaris? He's a satirical writer and his books/essays are worth a read. I loved them. I own about 3 of his books.

Start of with Night and tell me what you think of it. I just bought Wiesel's novel "The Forgotten" the other day.

It might take me a little while to read it, depending on how long it is. I don't have a whole lot of free time to read, maybe a couple chapters a day. But when I get finished I'll deffinately let you know what I think

hehe we should start an mut book club

the sisterhood of the traveling pants are good and of course HARRY POTTER if you havent read them you should...

That's why Night is a good read. It's over 100 pgs long, if my memory serves right. Haha. I think I read it in a few hours.

The Sister Hood is okay of a read for the younger crowd.

if your looking for something totally messed up, you gotta read "The Story of O".

its really good, not too long, and a reminder that women can write really messed up books too.

which is acutally how the book came to be, when the writter was dared to write something totally messed up because i guess most people didnt think a women could write something like that.

if you love a good murder mystery one of my all time favs is "lie to me" by david martin. kept me riveted until the very last page.

i love anything my toni morrison, although her subjects are pretty dark, her imagery makes it feel like a dream and her writing reads like poetry! i've read beloved, song of solomon, paradise, the bluest eye, and i'm currently reading her newest novel, "love".

my fav book of all time is "indigo" by beverly jenkins. the book starts with a letter written by a merchant seaman that sold himself into slavery to be with the woman he loved! it's set in the early 1800s. i couldn't put it down!

If you're into chick lit, a friend of mine raves about "Something Borrowed" by Emily Griffin. I haven't read it yet but I plan to this week.

Well, it depends on what Genre you're interested in. I have 3 favorite "modern" authors (As is not the classic ones like Jane Austen).

Anne Rice, Johanna Lindsey and Claire Delacroix

Anne Rice writes amazingly detailed books. My favorites are the Vampire Chronicles, my faves within that series being Queen of the Damned (Which is nothing like that horrible bastardization of a movie) and Memnoch the Devil.

Johanna Lindsey is a Historical Romance author(I don't like reading anything set in "modern" times). I love her Viking series best, she's written a few crappy novels but most are really good
smile.gif

I also Adore Claire Delacroix's Bride Quest Series. Very good books, less racy than most romance novels.

im a book lover. i love love to read old books about romance and princesses so i wouldnt recommend any of those. ill tell you about a book that i read in a day and read it again and again.

if you dont mind crying then this book is amazing.

Child Abuse Survivor Dave Pelzer - Book Review: A Child Called "It" - Dave Pelzer - David Pelzer Author

Besides being horribly beaten, Dave was forced to eat his own vomit, swallow soap, ammonia, and Clorox. This was just the beginning of his mother's "games". Dave's childhood wasn't always a nightmare. There were the "good years" in the beginning and Dave devotes a chapter describing the feelings of warmth and safety provided by his mother. By the age of 4 these feelings were replaced with fear, starvation, and lowliness.

You guys are hitting the nail on the head! I can't decide which one to read first! Keep posting you favorite books!

The dark is rising by Susan Cooper, awesome and you can't stop reading it until you've reached the last word of the last sentence on the last page.

i also love the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, if you're a fan of dragons, go for it.

i also suggest Marion Zimmer Bradley, she's my favorite author. i'm a fan of Darkover, but if you don't like much scifi, read instead The Mists of Avalon, it's the best story about Arthur and the knights of the round table, the lady of the lake etc i've found.

i also like Oliver Twist, i read it when i was a kid and had a terrible nightmare that kept me up all night. sometimes it's good to read some classics.

one last i particularly like : Red blood rivers (les rivières pourpres in french) by Jean-Christophe Grangé. this one is a thriller, totally breathcatching. i missed my station reading it in the underground
smile.gif
there is also a movie with Jean Reno, but the book is much better than the movie.

Dirty Littl epretty is a wicked book. It's about a couple of best friends growing up and losing innocence...etc. It's a very good read and pretty racy.

Latest posts

Back