Good exfoliators anyone??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Baking soda makes an excellent and cheap exfoliator (dont use as a mask!).  If you want a good body scrub, use sugar with some sweet almond oil. I make it and keep in a jar in the shower.
Interesting, I never thought about baking soda. So do you just take some baking soda and rub it on your skin??

Originally Posted by ShawnL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's funny that I came upon this post today. I was going to start one similar because I have a question about exfoliators. I'm going to ask my question anyway, but I'm glad I found this, too. There's lots of good advice here. 

My question is, has anyone tried any products like this? I'm a little intimidated by the whole "resurfacing" thing. I do use cleansers and moisturizers, but have never used an exfoliant before. Does it really make that much of a difference using one? 
Well I'm glad you saw this because I've have gotten a lot of good advice on exfoliating. I have used Neutrogena Rapid Clear Foaming Scrub. In my personal experience with exfoliating, my skin felt fresher and it even looked brighter. But I would say to not over do it because it can dry out the skin ( sadly I had to learn the hard way).

Interesting, I never thought about baking soda. So do you just take some baking soda and rub it on your skin??
I just add some water, turn to a watery paste and rub on face with 2or 3 fingers in a circular motion lightly.

I use St. Ives Sea Salt shower gel. I really like it because it's nice and gritty, but it's gentle enough to use on my face, too. I also use CVS brand acne control body scrub in the grapefruit scent with salicylic acid. I have tried the orange Neutrogena brand. I get pimples on my chest once in a while. With the Neutrogena salicylic acid body scrub, I broke out really bad. I swear, it caused pimples, not prevented them. I switched back to tue grapefruit scrub nd I was clear in a week. I switch between the St. Ives and the pink grapefruit salicylic acid scrub, and sometimes I put them on my washrag together. My acne on my chest is under control and I love it. I have not broken out anywhere else since I started using them.

I'll look into that. I had the same problem with the Neutrogena Salicylic acid but I thought it was just because it was that time of the month.

The entire St Ives line is really affordable, gentle and effective. Their Exfoliating Body Wash is creamy yet has sea salt and kelp in it to really do a great job of cleansing. When used as a shaving cream the result was the smoothest legs I've ever had. The Apricot Scrub is amazing as well. They sell it as a tube and in a tub so I assumed the tub was meant for body while the tube was for the face. Apparently, it's the same stuff. I now use it from head to toe!

Awhile back there used to be discussions of using asprin and water as a facial scrub. I liked it myself for a while and then just stopped. No reason but just did. I've stopped hearing about that as this was years ago. 

Also, I'm soo loving the Tree Hut Coconut Lime Scrub that I got from my Cravebox a couple of months ago. It smells divine and it's a huge tub! It exfoliates so well and I use this prior to self-tanning. This line can be found at Bed, Bath & Beyond & amazon.com for like 6.99/tub which is cheap! Plus if you use Bed, Bath & Beyond's coupons you can get a greater deal.

I also have Bliss' Hot Salt Scrub which is a scrub you use on a dry body. It costs $36, I think but so not worth it. I highly recommend the Tree Hut line. They have other scents were smell fantastic and make your body smooth. 

Here's the general pic of the Tree Hut Scrub from my cravebox.

oh, I also LOVE the Be Fine Exfoliating Cleanser w/Brown Sugar, Almonds & Oats. It dissolves into your skin and leaves my face feeling smooth. I got this from my Birchbox back in 2010 and I love it, also. 

Latest posts

Back