Got Raw Milk?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone out there go for raw milk instead of pasteurized? I've been looking into it because it supposedly has way more health benefits for people. I think there's only one dairy farm that delivers to my area that's certified and licensed to sell raw milk. Just curious if anyone else on here is into raw.

Originally Posted by envymi Anyone out there go for raw milk instead of pasteurized? I've been looking into it because it supposedly has way more health benefits for people. I think there's only one dairy farm that delivers to my area that's certified and licensed to sell raw milk. Just curious if anyone else on here is into raw. Haven't tried it, but I've heard the same things.... Especially the stories of how dairy farm milk is better & doesn't need to be Pasteurized b/c the cows are milked by hand. Commercially sold milk, the cows are milked by machines, and from what I'm told - so often to the point their udders bleed, from the 'over-milking' - which is why it needs to be pasteurized - to kill the germs from it.
icon_confused.gif
So I would say, if you can get pure dairy milk... I'd go for it! It worked fine in the olden days!
tongue.gif

This is from a site that promotes raw milk...

What is Real Milk?

Real Milk comes from real cows.

The source of most commercial milk is the modern Holstein, bred to produce huge quantities of milk three times as much as the old-fashioned cow. She needs special feed and antibiotics to keep her well. Her milk contains high levels of growth hormone from her pituitary gland, even when she is spared the indignities of genetically engineered Bovine Growth Hormone to push her to the udder limits of milk production.

Real Milk comes from real cows that eat real feed.

Real feed for cows is green grass in Spring, Summer and Fall; green feed, silage, hay and root vegetables in Winter. It is not soy meal, cottonseed meal or other commercial feeds, nor is it bakery waste, chicken manure or citrus peel cake, laced with pesticides. Vital nutrients like vitamins A and D, and the "Price Factor"(a fat-soluble catalyst that promotes optimum mineral assimilation) are greatest in milk from cows eating green grass, especially rapidly growing green grass in the spring and fall. Vitamins A and D are greatly diminished, and the Price Factor disappears, when milk cows are fed commercial feed. Soy meal has the wrong protein profile for the dairy cow, resulting in a short burst of high milk production followed by premature death. Most milk (even most milk labeled "organic") comes from dairy cows that are kept in confinement their entire lives and never see green grass!

Real Milk is not pasteurized.

Pasteurization destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamin content, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B12 and B6, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Calves fed pasteurized milk do poorly and many die before maturity. Raw milk sours naturally but pasteurized milk turns putrid; processors must remove slime and pus from pasteurized milk by a process of centrifugal clarification. Inspection of dairy herds for disease is not required for pasteurized milk. Pasteurization was instituted in the 1920s to combat TB, infant diarrhea, undulant fever and other diseases caused by poor animal nutrition and dirty production methods. But times have changed and modern stainless steel tanks, milking machines, refrigerated trucks and inspection methods make pasteurization absolutely unnecessary for public protection. And pasteurization does not always kill the bacteria for Johne’s disease suspected of causing Crohn's disease in humans with which most confinement cows are infected. Much commercial milk is now ultra-pasteurized to get rid of heat-resistant bacteria and give it a longer shelf life. Ultra-pasteurization is a violent process that takes milk from a chilled temperature to above the boiling point in less than two seconds. Clean raw milk from certified healthy cows is available commercially in several states and may be bought directly from the farm in many more. (Sources are listed on www.realmilk.com.)

Real Milk is not homogenized.

Homogenization is a process that breaks down butterfat globules so they do not rise to the top. Homogenized milk has been linked to heart disease.

Real Milk contains butterfat, and lots of it!

Average butterfat content from old-fashioned cows at the turn of the century was over 4% (or more than 50% of calories). Today butterfat comprises less than 3% (or less than 35% of calories). Worse, consumers have been duped into believing that low-fat and skim milk products are good for them. Only by marketing low-fat and skim milk as a health food can the modern dairy industry get rid of its excess poor-quality, low-fat milk from modern high-production herds. Butterfat contains vitamins A and D needed for assimilation of calcium and protein in the water fraction of the milk. Without them protein and calcium are more difficult to utilize and possibly toxic. Butterfat is rich in short- and medium chain fatty acids which protect against disease and stimulate the immune system. It contains glyco-spingolipids which prevent intestinal distress and conjugated linoleic acid which has strong anticancer properties.

Real Milk contains no additives.

Powdered skim milk, a source of dangerous oxidized cholesterol and neurotoxic amino acids, is added to 1% and 2% milk. Low-fat yogurts and sour creams contain mucopolysaccharide slime to give them body. Pale butter from hay-fed cows contains colorings to make it look like vitamin-rich butter from grass-fed cows. Bioengineered enzymes are used in large-scale cheese production. Many mass produced cheeses contain additives and colorings and imitation cheese products contain vegetable oils.

raw milk always made me sick after we would milk the cows. we'd heat the milk up (i guess this is how they "sanitized" it) and i'd end up in the ER. maybe it's because my body wasn't used to how foreign it was.

Originally Posted by Sofia So it this like organic milk? Raw milk that can be sold should be certified and organic, but milk that is organic isn't considered raw. It has to state that it is raw or real milk...not pasteurized.

I don't know if I could drink milk that wasn't pasteurized. Right now we buy Horizon Organic milk and they don't use antibiotics, add growth hormones or dangerous pesticides (at least that's what the carton says), but I'm sure neither do other organic dairy producers. Like Jennifer said, back in Europe they milk the cows then boil the milk, but I never have, nor will I ever drink that. The smell alone is enough to put you off dairy for a long, long time.

Originally Posted by Sofia Like Jennifer said, back in Europe they milk the cows then boil the milk, but I never have, nor will I ever drink that. The smell alone is enough to put you off dairy for a long, long time. really?! i loved my hot milk in the morning :icon_love

I used to drink milk/raw milk before. But, I stopped drinking milk after I read an article about Milk and Acne.

I have acne prone skin in summer season. It did really work for breakout though.

Originally Posted by Sofia Jen, the milk from back in Europe? Really? I just can't do it.

GOT MILK?SORRY I HAD TO THROW THAT IN,LOL

Originally Posted by Sofia Jen, the milk from back in Europe? Really? I just can't do it. yep! it tasted so natural. i'd choose that over our milk here. i'm not sure if that's what got me sick or the tap water. i get very sick every time i go there, but it's worth it LOL!

Raw milk is all very fine, but with raw milk, one has to boil the milk before drinking. Hope you guys are boiling the milk.

Originally Posted by envymi

Anyone out there go for raw milk instead of pasteurized? I've been looking into it because it supposedly has way more health benefits for people. I think there's only one dairy farm that delivers to my area that's certified and licensed to sell raw milk. Just curious if anyone else on here is into raw.

We have drank organic (no hormone fed cows) for years.

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) We have drank organic (no hormone fed cows) for years. I always drink organic...I'm just curious about the unpasteurized stuff. I actually tried some recently and I didn't get sick from it and it did taste so much better to me...now I just have to find it locally otherwise I'll have to order directly from the dairy.

Originally Posted by Jennifer raw milk always made me sick after we would milk the cows. we'd heat the milk up (i guess this is how they "sanitized" it) and i'd end up in the ER. maybe it's because my body wasn't used to how foreign it was. Same thing happened to me (except the ER part lol) but I would always get sick when my grandparents gave me raw milk even after it cooled from the boiling. In fact, according to my mom when i was a baby the taste was so bad for me that i stopped using my bottle (I was under a year old!!) The smell was also pretty bad. It's just too rich for me I guess.

hi envymi,

i do drink raw milk...organic of course! by the looks of your post, you have checked into this. only issue with raw milk is that it if very hard to find, and that it does not keep as long in the fridge.

mostly everyone these days is nutrient deficient...this is due to all of the processed foods we eat. there are hardly any life-sustaining molecules left after processing....in case your interested, i would look into the dangers of microwaving foods. this process also irradiates the food molecules in such a way that the food actually becomes toxic!!

it is not a natural way to heat food, and should be avoided at all costs!

sorry to have rambled on a bit here, but health and nutrition is really important to me...and i study this sort of stuff a lot.

take care!

Latest posts

Back