Green and Blue hair dye

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to dye my hair blue with a few big yellow streaks... I already have the dye. It's temporary dye, the brand is 'directions'

I've used it a lot in the past and every time I've done multiple colors at the same time they faded together to create a muddy mixture of the colors. So, I'm pretty certain that if I do yellow and blue it will turn green which I don't want... Is there any way to prevent or prolong this from happening?

Is there a way to lock in color? I've heard something about vinegar...? lol

Why not section off the hair you want to dye yellow. Wrap it in plastic and secure with elastics. Then dye your hair blue. The blue dye is rinsed out and your hair is dried, do the opposite. Dye the sectioned off yellow while making sure you don't get any on the rest of your hair. This might be a good time to get some assistance from a friend.

Every time you wash your hair, the blue will run into the yellow and deposit there.  I don't think you'll get away with doing the yellow with blue.  My suggestion would be is to dye blue and get yellow fake hair extensions.  They stay on for a long time.  

I've done this before, and it is a bit difficult. What I ended up doing was using "Punky Colour" (which, IMO, is the best for bright colors) for the blue. Then I used an actual permanent hair dye for the yellow, using the most yellow blonde I could find. There was some bleeding, but mostly, it blended the two colors, or in some spots, made it an interesting teal-ish color that worked nicely. I also like the previous poster's suggestion of yellow extensions.

I've done it with a punky colour yellow as well, but honestly, the only way I could manage that was literally sectioning off the yellow and washing it separately, and it was a huge pain.

I typically leave any crazy color dye in for at least two hours, since most of them don't do much damage, to keep the color bright and help it stick. And, naturally, try to keep away from washing your hair as much as possible.

I really like the idea of using yellow extensions as well. That way, you know that you won't get any unwanted color bleeding. Panzerruin gave some great tips also.

Back