Hair Extensions!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by carla_Hilton Right now my hair is a little past my arm pits, but i used to have long hair and i want extensions!

I was wondering if you knew a Good Brand to buy, I want it like atleast 3 inches past my boobs! and i dont want individual ones.

has anyone ever gotten them? Whats the best method to use?

I would go to a local wig/synthetic hair shop and see what they have... you have to be careful that you get a good quality - (should be REAL hair) otherwise it won't 'wash n' wear' well. Good extensions are not cheap, so be prepared to spend a lot... and I think having them "sewn" onto your hair is a lot less damaging than the glue method. HTH!
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by carla_Hilton Thanks, Yeah i knew it'd be alot, but i dont care. I also want highlights too, so im prepared! I dont have a local wig store here, the closest we have is Sally's beauty supply about an hour away, will that work? Eh, the selection there is kinda crappy - as far as good ones go anyway. Do you have any salons there that do them? Just be sure you want them though... once they're in... they're in - well you can always take them out, but it'd be a waste of $. I never had them on myself, but my friend did... she had them in two days and then had them taken out!! lol It looked good, but she hated the feeling of them on her head & thought they were too much work. So that was like $500 down the drain! lol So just see if you can find a salon first, and get a consultation
wink.gif

Originally Posted by carla_Hilton so it costed her 500 dollars!? dang. My cheerleading coach is my hairstylist, so she loves trying things on me for fun. She's been trying to talk me into extensions, b/c she used to have them and then i seen laguna beach last night and now i want them! ha. kristen is my favorite.. anyway... Yeah, i was just wondering if i shoud get the single strand.. or the long ones.. and i deffinatly want them, i wont take them out! Yeah... hers were about $500. They were human hair, in thin 'sheets' about 6"-7" across with a band on the top. She had them sewn onto her own hair (took about 13 of these) so it was really time consuming. I mean if you want to try something out just to see how it looks, then I'd try to see if you find anything at Sally's... but if you REALLY want good quality, you should go to someone who specializes in it... because as your own hair grows out, they have to be tightened... and it can get tricky
wink.gif

I used to have them and they are really expensive but they did look good. I have been wanting them again lately but I am in a new city and don't know where to go to have them done here.

Originally Posted by carla_Hilton wow, yeah, i wanted the wefts.. and i wanted it glued or bonded i thought, ill have to talk to her about it You can glue/bond them... but ususally what is left over of your own hair when they come out - from what I've seen... its not pretty
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by carla_Hilton yikes... like what? Well... it's glue! lol You can only imagine.
icon_rolleyes.gif
They have to be VERY careful. A girl came into my friends salon after taking hers out and her hair looked short in places and longer in others, her ends were all frazzled, there was still bits of glue stuck in her hair (after having them out 3 days) and she ended up having to cut a lot off to get it to look even w/ the short 'ripped out' pieces.
icon_neutral.gif

Oh,... I never saw Laguna Beach - so I did a search on Kristin to see what she looked like... her hair is shoulder length ?
confused.gif

I had mine sewn in. They did tow rows of braids and then sewed the wafts into the braid. I had to have the braids redone every six weeks because as your hair grows out, the braids get loose. I did really like it. No one ever knew that the long parts were not mine. It took about an hour to hour and half to do the braids every six weeks and boy, are those braids tight! I had a consult last week at a place and she said something about she did what looks like a web against your scalp so that the hair lays really flat, as opposed to the braid which leaves a slight hump, but it was in a REALLY bad neighborhood so I did not go back.

Originally Posted by LuckyMe I had mine sewn in. They did tow rows of braids and then sewed the wafts into the braid. I had to have the braids redone every six weeks because as your hair grows out, the braids get loose. I did really like it. No one ever knew that the long parts were not mine. It took about an hour to hour and half to do the braids every six weeks and boy, are those braids tight! I had a consult last week at a place and she said something about she did what looks like a web against your scalp so that the hair lays really flat, as opposed to the braid which leaves a slight hump, but it was in a REALLY bad neighborhood so I did not go back. Yeah... there's a bunch of ways they sew it in... but I would reccomend that over bonding in a heartbeat! And yeah, they do them REALLY tight (so you get more time out of them before you need a tightening) so you might get a headache for a couple of days!! lol

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I would go to a local wig/synthetic hair shop and see what they have... you have to be careful that you get a good quality - (should be REAL hair) otherwise it won't 'wash n' wear' well. Good extensions are not cheap, so be prepared to spend a lot... and I think having them "sewn" onto your hair is a lot less damaging than the glue method. HTH!
icon_wink.gif
spamela74

I agree. I have had extensions for a few years. I'm African American and I go between Beverly Johnson and Outre hair. It is cheap (under $30 per pack) but I use the product Ojon to make the hair last longer with fewer flyaways. I also have mine sewn (attached to a braid). It took an 1 hr and 1/2 and I go every six weeks to a friend who charges me only $40! Ask around to see who can do them for you. DO NOT glue in unless it's for a short time. You'll be kicking yourself for damaging your hair. Take your time to search wigs shops, beauty supply shops in urban areas. Or try an online search for internet wig shops (there's several). Good luck!

Originally Posted by spamela74 spamela74I agree. I have had extensions for a few years. I'm African American and I go between Beverly Johnson and Outre hair. It is cheap (under $30 per pack) but I use the product Ojon to make the hair last longer with fewer flyaways. I also have mine sewn (attached to a braid). It took an 1 hr and 1/2 and I go every six weeks to a friend who charges me only $40! Ask around to see who can do them for you. DO NOT glue in unless it's for a short time. You'll be kicking yourself for damaging your hair. Take your time to search wigs shops, beauty supply shops in urban areas. Or try an online search for internet wig shops (there's several). Good luck!

Welcome to MUT!

Yeah - Brooke's hair is really nice.
wink.gif
But I've never heard of that A&Q/Q&A store... sorry.
frown.gif

But Welcome Spamela!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I have hair extentions and I love them. They are sewn in strand by strand not attatched to a braid of any sort. I don't have to go out and look for hair, my stylist provides it for me. Most of the time, if the stylist can sew/glue them in they could probably suggest a place to get hair as well. Make sure it is real hair and not synthetic. With real hair you can curl, straighten, blow dry just as would would your normal hair! Sometimes I forget I have them in!!

Hi Carla,

I would suggest the sewing method, its better for the hair. When I take my extentions out within a few washes and a good treatment my own hair is back to normal and still has thickness and fullness.

As for price, it all depends how much hair you want. My hair is about up to my shoulders without extentions and I get about 4 rows of hair sewn in, mostly for length-- and a little volume. Its costs me about $700 (Canadian). It last about 5 months. I go back to the salon at the mid way point to get my sides retightened as they tend to slip out sooner then the back extentions-- that costs another $150 or so!

They stay in for 5 months. And yup, I wear it in a pony as well. Just be careful not to tug too hard at them!

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel They stay in for 5 months. And yup, I wear it in a pony as well. Just be careful not to tug too hard at them! Welcome to muT! I'm Janelle, from NY - Nice to meet you!
smile.gif

Thanks Angel!

I'm from Toronto and I'm so glad I came across this site. The makeup forums have really helped me alot and thanks to all you guys my face has never looked healthier!

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Thanks Angel!
I'm from Toronto and I'm so glad I came across this site. The makeup forums have really helped me alot and thanks to all you guys my face has never looked healthier!

Thats our mission... make the world boo-ti-ful!
wink.gif
lol

Latest posts

Back