Hair straightening products (with blowdrying)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't want to flatiron my hair so I normally blowdry it straight. I currently use John Freida's Frizz Ease Wind Down cream in Original Strength, and while it does an awesome job of keeping away the frizzies (for a while, anyway, lol) it doesn't make my hair any straighter than just blowdrying it without products. Are there any other products I can apply to my hair to help keep it straight? Also, are there any good humidity-defying products that don't make your hair crunchy? The only ones I've seen have been gels and my hair is long enough now (just barely past my shoulders) that I don't want it crunchy! But like today, my hair looked good when I left the house, and after being outside for 10 minutes it's trying to get wavy again!

I have very fine (hence the frizz!) yet thick hair that's naturally wavy.

Thanks!

Time to pimp my favorite brand again!!! lol Which you are probably all sick of hearing by now... ha ha - StraightSexyHair!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
The balm, aerated spray and smooth & seal are a knockout combination
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Time to pimp my favorite brand again!!! lol Which you are probably all sick of hearing by now... ha ha - StraightSexyHair!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
wink.gif
I am going to try it one of these days.

Well I discovered that we have a Trade Secrets in the mall, I always buy my hair stuff at Wal-Mart so I didn't know
icon_redface.gif
(Though I was surprised they had one in my tiny mall -- to give you an idea of how much of a hick town this is, the Express in the mall recently went out of business and they replaced it with Lunar Mini Golf!
icon_eek.gif
)

The employee I talked to recommended some different products saying they worked better than some of the Straight Sexy Hair products, so I ended up getting Paul Mitchel's Super Skinny Serum and the Straight Sexy Hair Smooth and Seal. She said I should switch to a straightening shampoo for maximum results, but I thought spending $34 on two products was already insane so I will just stick to these for now! (I am used to my $3 John Freida products! lol) So I will try them out this weekend and see what happens!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek I don't want to flatiron my hair so I normally blowdry it straight. I currently use John Freida's Frizz Ease Wind Down cream in Original Strength, and while it does an awesome job of keeping away the frizzies (for a while, anyway, lol) it doesn't make my hair any straighter than just blowdrying it without products. Are there any other products I can apply to my hair to help keep it straight? Also, are there any good humidity-defying products that don't make your hair crunchy? The only ones I've seen have been gels and my hair is long enough now (just barely past my shoulders) that I don't want it crunchy! But like today, my hair looked good when I left the house, and after being outside for 10 minutes it's trying to get wavy again!

Thanks!

icon_idea.gif
Try John Frieda's Frizz-Ease Instant Touch-up, is a glossing spray it doesn't weight your hair down and keep frizz away, at least for the day. I works for me anyway.

I wasn't too thrilled with the Super Skinny - it smelled good, but that's about the only thing I noticed. I really haven't found a shampoo or conditioner that actually kept your hair straighter. The only thing that might be doing it is a heavy conditioner that will coat the hair and weigh it down. Honestly, if you are going to spend money on the high end products... spend it on the styling products or the conditioners (deep conditioners, hydrating ones or masks) basic shampoo or light conditioning ... you could get away with using a cheaper brand. Let us know how PM & smooth & seal works for you...
icon_wink.gif

Oh ... little tip - if your hair is fine - spray the smooth & seal on the brush first, comb through and then brush quick while using the dryer. If you spray it directly on your hair it can be too much shine.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I wasn't too thrilled with the Super Skinny - it smelled good, but that's about the only thing I noticed. I really haven't found a shampoo or conditioner that actually kept your hair straighter. The only thing that might be doing it is a heavy conditioner that will coat the hair and weigh it down. Honestly, if you are going to spend money on the high end products... spend it on the styling products or the conditioners (deep conditioners, hydrating ones or masks) basic shampoo or light conditioning ... you could get away with using a cheaper brand. Let us know how PM & smooth & seal works for you...
icon_wink.gif

Oh ... little tip - if your hair is fine - spray the smooth & seal on the brush first, comb through and then brush quick while using the dryer. If you spray it directly on your hair it can be too much shine.

thanks for the tip! Maybe if I don't like the Super Skinny, I'll go back and the Straight Sexy Hair balm or something -- I'll just go in and grab it, instead of standing around looking confused and letting a salesperson talk me into buying stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek I don't want to flatiron my hair so I normally blowdry it straight. I currently use John Freida's Frizz Ease Wind Down cream in Original Strength, and while it does an awesome job of keeping away the frizzies (for a while, anyway, lol) it doesn't make my hair any straighter than just blowdrying it without products. Are there any other products I can apply to my hair to help keep it straight? Also, are there any good humidity-defying products that don't make your hair crunchy? The only ones I've seen have been gels and my hair is long enough now (just barely past my shoulders) that I don't want it crunchy! But like today, my hair looked good when I left the house, and after being outside for 10 minutes it's trying to get wavy again!

Thanks!

I don't like flat ironing my fine hair either. I use a blowdryer with a product called Set It Straight by AG Hair Cosmetics. It smells so good and works great. It only takes a very small amount to do the trick. Here's what the bottles says, "Smoothes and straightens naturally curly or permed hair while providing thermal protection, humidity resistance, and outstanding frizz control." IMO, it lives up to all those claims. I buy it at my salon and i'm not sure where else it can be purchased but here's the website that's on the bottle....
www.aghaircosmetics.com

There's a salon locator so maybe you could find one near you that way.

EDIT: You can purchase online here....

http://www.just4beauty.com/haircare-ag-styling.html

Originally Posted by Little_Lisa I don't like flat ironing my fine hair either. I use a blowdryer with a product called Set It Straight by AG Hair Cosmetics. It smells so good and works great. It only takes a very small amount to do the trick. Here's what the bottles says, "Smoothes and straightens naturally curly or permed hair while providing thermal protection, humidity resistance, and outstanding frizz control." IMO, it lives up to all those claims. I buy it at my salon and i'm not sure where else it can be purchased but here's the website that's on the bottle....
www.aghaircosmetics.com

There's a salon locator so maybe you could find one near you that way.

EDIT: You can purchase online here....

http://www.just4beauty.com/haircare-ag-styling.html

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the stuff I bought!
smile.gif

I've worn these products for a few days now and I think I wasted $34 ... The Super Skinny Serum is supposed to straighten and smooth hair and reduce blow-drying time. It does reduce blow-drying time, but I think my hair is wavier now than when I used my $3 Wind-Down cream! Plus it has an oily texture and it might weigh down hair with less body than mine, but on my hair it looks all right. And the employee said that it was her favorite hair straightening product, I wonder what kind of hair she has because it didn't work for me! And my hair's not even curly, just wavy...

The Smooth and Seal did make my hair less frizzy than no product, but I think a spritz of my Herbal Essence Flexible Hold hairspray keeps my hair even less frizzy! (Although as my hair gets longer I'll probably need to lay off the hairspray!) And I don't think it makes a difference in the humidity, it's humid today and my hair got poofy as soon as I walked outside just like with anything else I've tried..

I still might try the Straight Sexy Hair balm that Janelle likes, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably just go back to my drugstore products, and maybe try Charmaine's recommendation!
smile.gif
(Or maybe try Little_Lisa's product if I'm feeling up to spending more money! lol)

I got samples of Super Skinny (shampoo, conditioner and that straightening balm/serum). it did NOT work...and like Jennifer said, it made my hair wavier too and it just had a weird texture. I´m glad I tried the samples before b/c I was actually gonna buy the full sizes.

I´m also still looking for the perfect straightening product cause I can´t seem to blow dry my hair right. I get it straight, but I wished I could get rid of some volume and make it look more "flat"-like Janelle´s hair when she blow dries it....I think I´m getting the blowdrier she uses when i go on my US trip.

Janelle, who makes StraightSexyHair? I blowdry and straighten my hair with a hot iron about twice a week, so I'm always looking for a good product.

Jen

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Time to pimp my favorite brand again!!! lol Which you are probably all sick of hearing by now... ha ha - StraightSexyHair!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by suziqq322 Janelle, who makes StraightSexyHair? I blowdry and straighten my hair with a hot iron about twice a week, so I'm always looking for a good product.
Jen

I'm not Janelle, lol, but Sexy Hair Concepts makes Straight Sexy Hair. I found them at Trade Secrets, and I'm sure some salons would carry them too! Also a Google search for Sexy Hair Concepts gives you a few websites!

BTW Jennifer, did you know that if you go online, Trade Secrets usually has coupons? Also in October's issue of Marie Claire they have coupon's for Trade Secrets. At least this way, you can possibly go and buy some StraightSexyHair and it won't cost you a bundle.

Originally Posted by girl_geek I'm not Janelle, lol, but Sexy Hair Concepts makes Straight Sexy Hair. I found them at Trade Secrets, and I'm sure some salons would carry them too! Also a Google search for Sexy Hair Concepts gives you a few websites!

Originally Posted by suziqq322 BTW Jennifer, did you know that if you go online, Trade Secrets usually has coupons? Also in October's issue of Marie Claire they have coupon's for Trade Secrets. At least this way, you can possibly go and buy some StraightSexyHair and it won't cost you a bundle. Cool, thanks!

I have a similar problem - my hair looks great right after I blow dry it, but as soon as I walk out the door, it wants to frizz and wave up again. I hate that, so I'm also on the hunt for some good straightening products. I'm going to check out the products that have been recommended!
smile.gif

I just remembered that Trade Secrets allows returns and exchanges, and so I traded in the Paul Mitchel serum for some Straight Sexy Hair balm the other day! (Plus the balm was cheaper so I got $2 back, lol) It still didn't get my hair stick-straight but it wasn't bad, and what was really exciting was that it was raining today and my hair didn't get as wavy as it usually does in the rain and humidity!

I've been thinking though, maybe I need to do something other than just try new products: maybe try a new brush, or spend more time drying my hair in sections with a brush (I normally get my hair halfway dry without a brush, then try to straighten it out at the end, to save time). So I will keep playing with my hair!
wink.gif

try matrix's sleek.look Iron Smoother and then end with Sealing Serum. They also have shampoo and conditioner and other styling products. visit matrix.com

Latest posts

Back