Has Kelly Clarkson been lip synching?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There has been buzz lately that the "American Idol" star is singing to a “back-up track†— like the one that got Ashlee Simpson in hot water on "Saturday Night Live." Now, a concert reviewer is coming out and accusing Clarkson of “heavy reliance on back-up tracks.â€

“Kelly Clarkson live sounds exactly like she does on her albums — thanks to a heavy reliance on back-up tracks,†reviewer Kristen Lauerman wrote in the Patriot-News of a concert in Hershey, Pennsylvania. “But the ‘American Idol’ winner needs to remember that when you pull the microphone away from your mouth, all singing should cease.â€

On softer songs, however, Lauerman allowed, Clarkson wasn’t allegedly relying on “loud backing vocals†and her “voice was beautiful.â€

When asked if Clarkson uses backup tracks, Roger Widynowski, a spokesman at her record label, said, “No, it’s just her.†In the past, Clarkson flatly denied that she would ever lip synch, telling the San Antonio Express, “I don’t care either way [if others use back-up tracks], but you won’t ever see me doing it.â€

(By Jeannette Walls, MSNBC.com)

What do you think?

i don't think she lip synchs. she's a really good singer. but if she did i would be very surprised
icon_confused.gif

I hope it's not true, but who really knows these days until you get caught.

Originally Posted by Marisol

There has been buzz lately that the "American Idol" star is singing to a “back-up track” — like the one that got Ashlee Simpson in hot water on "Saturday Night Live." Now, a concert reviewer is coming out and accusing Clarkson of “heavy reliance on back-up tracks.”
“Kelly Clarkson live sounds exactly like she does on her albums — thanks to a heavy reliance on back-up tracks,” reviewer Kristen Lauerman wrote in the Patriot-News of a concert in Hershey, Pennsylvania. “But the ‘American Idol’ winner needs to remember that when you pull the microphone away from your mouth, all singing should cease.”

On softer songs, however, Lauerman allowed, Clarkson wasn’t allegedly relying on “loud backing vocals” and her “voice was beautiful.”

When asked if Clarkson uses backup tracks, Roger Widynowski, a spokesman at her record label, said, “No, it’s just her.” In the past, Clarkson flatly denied that she would ever lip synch, telling the San Antonio Express, “I don’t care either way [if others use back-up tracks], but you won’t ever see me doing it.”

(By Jeannette Walls, MSNBC.com)

What do you think?

When we saw her at the Disneyland Xmas special singing, I was about 10-12 feet from her face and she was NOT synching at all. I could hear here before the mic. She can seriously sing

She has such talent. I saw her in concert and she can sing!! I was like in love with her after that concert...and she is one of the few celebs who you can tell is down to earth and giving!

i saw her live and she DEFINITELY doesn't lip synch. i loved her live! you could definitely tell it was live.

Good to know cause I just bought her CD and I have been playing non-stop. It would have been a disappointment.

i am really good at figuring this stuff out since i am a musician and my boyfriend is a producer and audio engineer!

i saw her perform on television recently (don't remember which show) and she was definately not lip synching. HOWEVER, i would not be surprised at all if she uses additional vocal tracks like many singers do on certain songs. it doesn't mean she isn't singing; it just fills out the sound. most people are used to hearing stereo cd quality, so when they hear their favorite recording artist without all the bells and whistles of studio tricks, it is less than impressive. it doesn't mean she doesn't have a great voice. it is just difficult to get the right levels between all the musicians and the vocalist. there are even certain devices that can fix the pitch before the note even reaches the audience.

aretha franklin lip synched when the pistons played against the lakers during the finals in detroit. we all know SHE can sing! why did she do it? i have no idea. maybe she had a cold?

I really like Kelly Clarkson...but sorry for changing the subject, but does anyone know the TRUTH about why Ashlee Simpson lipsinked? I saw the Ashlee Simpson Show and they said she had a soar throat.

Originally Posted by Leta112 I really like Kelly Clarkson...but sorry for changing the subject, but does anyone know the TRUTH about why Ashlee Simpson lipsinked? I saw the Ashlee Simpson Show and they said she had a soar throat. i was sort of obsessed with that ashlee simpson show after that whole saturday night live incident. she doesn't have a particularly strong voice, and they add those other "backing vocal tracks" in to make her voice sound stronger and of cd quality, just like i said in my previous post about kelly. i think the whole acid relux/sore throat excuse is sort of a lame one, but there is probably a bit of truth to it. she obviously DOES sing when she performs because she is quite off pitch at times. did you see her at the orange bowl? now...that la la song is not a particularly easy song to sing because the chorus is really, really high and jumps around, but she tried after the snl incident and got booed, which just proves that most - but not all - people want to hear lipsynching or backing vocals. i personally think her show was rigged affter the snl episode so that it seemed more believable that she wasn't lipsynching.
i feel bad that people were so hard on her though. she's such a young girl; it's not fair for her to have to deal with that. she gets hormone shots for her voice on one episode, and many, many singers use those to strenthen their voice before they perform. i know tori amos does when she performs live so that she doesn't have to lipsynch. ashlee just isn't a "great" singer.

i'm not a big avril lavigne fan, but i do think she has a nice strong voice. and i know for sure she doesn't lipsync ever. she is off pitch at times, but i think it adds more character and sounds more natural because people aren't computers. i think ashlee's songs are pretty catchy...she deserves to have sold all those records she sold.

Latest posts

Back