Hate to Fly - Love to Vacation - HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hate flying but love to go on vacation. Every year when my husband & I go the the caribbean, I take a bunch of magazines, I get the head phones to watch the in flight movie....I'm still a nervous wreck.
icon_eek.gif

Any good advice to calm myself down - short of taking drug?
icon_sad.gif

Where's K*O* - doesn't she go to the caribbean a lot? She must be used to it.

K*O* !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - HELP!!!

Originally Posted by Amethyst

I hate flying but love to go on vacation. Every year when my husband & I go the the caribbean, I take a bunch of magazines, I get the head phones to watch the in flight movie....I'm still a nervous wreck.
icon_eek.gif

icon_sad.gif

Oh yeah, we are flying to Maui tomorrow and I don't particularly like flying either. But what we do is bring a few laptops and watch like 2 movies on them. But one word of advice, DON't Watch plane crashing movies like I did last time. WTF!!! lol
wink.gif

I don't own a laptop and I would hope plane-related movies are forbidden on flight Tony
icon_razz.gif

I'll have to look for the Mimulus around where I work. I'll try anything. I get so worked up and hold it all inside. Then I worry about someone else like me being on the flight except that they WON'T hold it all inside and start yelling or screaming for each bump the plane flies through.
icon_eek.gif

Why can't they make highways to the Caribbean so I can drive?
hahaha.gif

Its just me and my husband - we don't have kids. And I've always been a nervous flyer. Every year, I get all worked up right before. Its always during take off and landing. During the flight, as long as there are no bumps, I'm fine. If there's just one bump, I put my head down on my tray or bury my face in my husband's shoulder and start to cry as quietly as I possibly can. I never got help because its just once a year.
icon_cry.gif

I often wondered how people deal with flights from the East Coast to Hawaii or Asia or Europe. I think I'd go looney.
icon_eek.gif

I know I'll take a bunch of celebrity magazines because that kind of crappy stuff holds my interest. I usually take a trashy beach paperback, and my husband found some travel size checkers in the attic and a deck of cards. The thing is, he has no trouble at all falling asleep during flights while I'm sitting wide eyed and tense.
icon_rolleyes.gif

How was your flight to Hawaii ? That was non-stop right? That is such a long flight! Whatever did you do to pass the time? I know flying with a child is probably enough to keep you occupied. We hope to go to Hawaii someday. But I think I would stop in California just to get out and stretch my legs though.
eek.gif

This is no help at all, but wanted to add I love flying and can't wait for my 10 hour flight to America in a few months.

Just wondered what is it about flying you don't like? also where are you going in the Carribean??

Hope you have a fantastic trip, and you're not to nervous for the flight.

Sounds like you're planning a fun trip. Have you ever thought about just planning on sleeping the whole flight and taking some OTC sleeping pills or melatonin.

And I have a co-worker who is constantly taking trips on Amtrack. It won't get you to the Carribean, but it is an alternative to flying.

i'm pretty bad with flights, too! here's what i do...

• don't get the window seat
  • i can't sleep for shit on a flight, so i bring lots of music or book(s)
  • go to church the sunday before or day before i leave (and i'm not that religious)
naturally's right, though. flights are the safest way to travel. this might not help, but think, as you're sitting down reading this thread, there are maybe 500+ planes flying around the world right now, and every single day. how often do you hear of something going wrong?
good luck and enjoy your vacation!

i hate flying,i havet flown in almost 5 years.im a m terrified,i will do it if i have to but i get really nrevous and i cry and stuff,im a big wimp with that.my husband wants to travel,but we never been on a plane together.I used to be excited to fly,until one flight the plane dropped and it scared the hell out of me,i really wonder if there are method to change this fear!!!!
icon_cry.gif
icon_eek.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nydoll23 i hate flying,i havet flown in almost 5 years.im a m terrified,i will do it if i have to but i get really nrevous and i cry and stuff,im a big wimp with that.my husband wants to travel,but we never been on a plane together.I used to be excited to fly,until one flight the plane dropped and it scared the hell out of me,i really wonder if there are method to change this fear!!!!
icon_cry.gif
icon_eek.gif
smile.gif
did the plane drop because something was wrong or what?
i have this freaky story to tell, but i don't think i will because ameth might get scared lol

Originally Posted by Jennifer did the plane drop because something was wrong or what?
i have this freaky story to tell, but i don't think i will because ameth might get scared lol

it was like really bad air pocket or something.dont tell it ,i will get terrified also,lol

icon_smile.gif

Um...er...ladies...please....DON'T tell me horror stories of planes dropping and turbulence.
icon_eek.gif
icon_cry.gif
icon_sad.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Hey Amethyst, Yes I do go to St. Thomas every year in September - Im not thrilled w/flying either, but I've convinced myself that if I want to get out of this god forsaken state, and have I good time and a tan...I better just go w/the flow and stop working myself up into a panic. Why make what is,what isn't !!!....I've gotten a lot better - its more mind over matter - Just relax & enjoy yourself

Originally Posted by Amethyst I hate flying but love to go on vacation. Every year when my husband & I go the the caribbean, I take a bunch of magazines, I get the head phones to watch the in flight movie....I'm still a nervous wreck.
icon_eek.gif

icon_sad.gif

That's how I feel too, so I grit / grind / chatter my teeth and bear it.

No matter how tough us New Yorkers are, there are still things that un-nerve me/us and being up in the air is one of them.

My first time in an airplane was after I met my second husband - in my mid 30's. Before that I never flew. He said to me, "if you wanna be with me, you gotta fly."

Now he says he can't get me to stop. It's a love/hate thing. Love to vacation/tan/relax - - hate getting there!
icon_biggrin.gif

Well thanks for your words of encouragement. I need to keep repeating this all to myself when I fly.

Good Luck, you can do it....I just try & get myself excited the other way - meaning, "thinking about the beautiful island, shopping, beachin', restaurants, etc..and can't wait to get there" - rather than worrying about the flight...that would always put a damper on it, because I wouldn't sleep good the night before, and have a horrible 1st day on the Island....So, I said to myself - this ain't worth it...It's just the take offs & landings which bothered me - more so the landings....but, once Im up in the air, I'm fine! Go Figure !!!...lol September can't come soon enough for me, right now...& I'ts only June!!! First I can't wait for Summer, - then - I can't wait for September !!! LOL...Just go w/the flow & do the mental game with your mind ~ & ~ everything will be just fine.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Amethyst That's how I feel too, so I grit / grind / chatter my teeth and bear it.
No matter how tough us New Yorkers are, there are still things that un-nerve me/us and being up in the air is one of them.

My first time in an airplane was after I met my second husband - in my mid 30's. Before that I never flew. He said to me, "if you wanna be with me, you gotta fly."

Now he says he can't get me to stop. It's a love/hate thing. Love to vacation/tan/relax - - hate getting there!
icon_biggrin.gif

Well thanks for your words of encouragement. I need to keep repeating this all to myself when I fly.

That's funny you say that because its the take-offs that bother me much more than the landings. For some reason, the landings don't bother me as much because I know we are on our way to land and the flight will be over & I'll be on solid ground. (silly right?) I'm still nervous but not as much. Then the bumps along the way get me. During my very first flight (it was a 3.5 hour flight) I did not take my seat belt off and I didn't go to the bathroom until the plane landed. I was busting all the way. I was just too nervous to leave my seat. Now I will actually leave my seat once the plane has leveled off. But I will take your advice and try to focus on my destination and not the journey there.

I'm trying to find some really trashy = dirty paperback novels, because that usually distracts me some -
icon_lol.gif
icon_redface.gif
icon_twisted.gif
. I think I've read almost every Jackie Collins novel and they seem pretty tame.
hahaha.gif

Well I made it down and back in one safe piece. I was more scared coming home due to the hurricane news but it (thankfully) didn't affect my flight home.

Made it through another trip !
icon_cheesygrin.gif
claps.gif
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by Amethyst Well I made it down and back in one safe piece. I was more scared coming home due to the hurricane news but it (thankfully) didn't affect my flight home.
Made it through another trip !
icon_cheesygrin.gif
claps.gif
icon_lol.gif

yay! i'm so proud of you
icon_cheesygrin.gif

hope you had a good trip!

Latest posts

Back