Hatha Yoga

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here practice Hatha Yoga regularly? I tried out my first class the other day to see what it was like. All I can post/say is
icon_eek.gif

Seriously, I know its supposed to be good for you. But I'd like to hear from regulars who do this and what change have they noted since beginning.

i've never tried yoga before. what is hatha yoga about?

I LOVE it!!! There are many different schools or types of hatha yoga. Iyengar is my personal favorite. Do you know what style or school of yoga it is? Anything in particular that made you go
icon_eek.gif
?

Originally Posted by Liz is yoga hard? It doesn't need to be. Restorative yoga is particularly gentle for people with injuries and physical problems. Iyengar lets you use props to help you get into the poses in case you aren't quite flexible enough. Yoga can be slow and relaxing, or it can be a real aerobic work out.

This teacher emphasized to respect our limitations but to at least TRY to do something you think you can't. I only too one class so far. I started off sweating but then I found it really beneficial to all my aches and pains. I take karate so I think this will help me be more flexible in karate and vice versa. I really need all the stretching I can get with all my aches and pains.

Took my second class last night and I'm loving it!

I want my husband to try it out because we both have back trouble and I think this will help in the long run.

i am not too sure what hatha yoga is but i used to practice bikram's yoga.

bikram's yoga is a 90 minute practice which is help in a room heated to 100+ degrees and the humidity set to 60+%

the first class all i could think was "thank god i never have to do this again" but i ended up going back the next day with my gf (i figured if she could do it again i could). by the end of the class i was SO glad it was over but so proud of myself for going back.

i can honestly say that i have never had an easy class, but the hardest part was just getting there. i found once i started going more fequently that i gained better flexibily and that i was smiling all the time.

yoga is good for the mind, body and soul and i would and do recommend it to a lot of people : )

GOOD LUCK

Wow, that's great! !!!

I've heard about Bikram Yoga. Although that particular style is not for me because of the intensity of the heat. I'm impressed with anyone who can withstand it.
claps.gif

Hi

I,ve been doing yoga for six years now and I love it! It the only thing that makes me feel better after work(I have a physically demanding job). I really notice the difference when I dont do it for awhile. I do more gentle poses and it is so relaxing,afterwards my face looks really fresh!
icon_razz.gif

Just to update, I'm still taking this class once a week and loving it. The teacher is great in that she doesn't force us to do poses that feel painful or risk injury. In fact, if there is a pose that we can't do or feels painful, she reminds us to adjust ourselves and do a modified version of it until we feel able to work ourselves up to the actual pose.

Ok, so the part I am having difficulty with is the meditation. I find it so difficult to meditate. I close my eyes and try to concentrate on the "space between my eyebrows" like my teacher says but I just can't seem to "quiet my mind". My thoughts race back and forth between stuff that happened at work or in my family, friends, husband, etc...I try to re-focus back but its really hard. I'm wondering how other people manage to meditate properly without all that "mind traffic" going on.
icon_lol.gif
icon_redface.gif

Oh the meditation just takes practice. Just like the poses the more you work at it the easier it will be. One day you'll realize that you don't have all the chatter inside you you did before.

Originally Posted by Amethyst Just to update, I'm still taking this class once a week and loving it. The teacher is great in that she doesn't force us to do poses that feel painful or risk injury. In fact, if there is a pose that we can't do or feels painful, she reminds us to adjust ourselves and do a modified version of it until we feel able to work ourselves up to the actual pose.
Ok, so the part I am having difficulty with is the meditation. I find it so difficult to meditate. I close my eyes and try to concentrate on the "space between my eyebrows" like my teacher says but I just can't seem to "quiet my mind". My thoughts race back and forth between stuff that happened at work or in my family, friends, husband, etc...I try to re-focus back but its really hard. I'm wondering how other people manage to meditate properly without all that "mind traffic" going on.
icon_lol.gif
icon_redface.gif

i tried hatha yoga once but i really didnt like it because the poses were too difficult and there was no way i could focus on my breathing while i try to do some weird pose that i dont even know how to do. it wasnt relaxing at all, except in the end when we had to lie down and close our eyes and just breathe. i never went back cause i figured i can just do that at home too.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. I think having a really good teacher makes a world of a difference though.

Example - my teacher is constantly reminding us not to push oursleves if we feel pain. She reminds us to respect our personal limitations and that if there is a pose that we can't do, then try to do a variation of it. In another words, if I can't stand do something 1/2 the distance, then I try for 1/4 of the way...eventually you will achieve the 1/2 - - but it takes time.

My yoga class is a beginner class and there's a lot of women my age or older so the teacher doesn't expect us to be flexible like experienced yoga students. I still benefit from the class and I noticed I have less aches and pains in the morning.

I have done Ashtanga and Bikram. Ashtanga is intense. I like Bikram as I get to "sweat" out the toxins and the heat also allows me to stretch my muscles more than I could normally. Like anything, all forms of exercise takes time to adapt to. The meditation part of any yoga class is really good for the mind/body/soul.

amethyst, i think the problem was that the class was kind of advanced, there were only like 4 people there but they had been going for a whole year, and since i live in a small town they cant afford to start up beginners courses every year. i went there because they came and advertised it in our uni and ive always wanted ot try yoga so i went. it is kind of bad though, when you're the only one who doesnt know what they're doing
icon_rolleyes.gif

That would have made me feel uncomfortable too.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by cottoncandy amethyst, i think the problem was that the class was kind of advanced, there were only like 4 people there but they had been going for a whole year, and since i live in a small town they cant afford to start up beginners courses every year. i went there because they came and advertised it in our uni and ive always wanted ot try yoga so i went. it is kind of bad though, when you're the only one who doesnt know what they're doing
icon_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back