Have you ever had your makeup done by an artist?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it interesting that so many people have had awful experiences at the MAC counter! I'm also one of you guys. Once I got my makeup done and I remember the MUA saying, "you are so fair! our lightest shade is too dark for you." and then proceeded to put it on my face. I bought the eyeshadow and lip products she used, but stayed away from the face stuff. I looked soooo bad and orange.

A friend of mine who is a designer said that MAC makes EVERYONE too dark at the counter, even though she does like their products in usage.

Feeling of deja-vu... I think I've replied to a similar thread before. Anyway... I had my makeup done by a couple of MAC artists and apart from this one time that I hated the result, it was fine. Nothing extraordinary though. A couple of weeks ago, I had my makeup done by another freelancer such as myself, and it was also OK. I'm hard to impress, I guess.

The only time I noticed a difference compared to the way I do makeup on myself and others was when Nicola Chapman did my makeup. I absolutely loved it! I learned quite a few things from her. The pic isn't very clear and doesn't do the makeup justice, but just to share:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/lina1911/my%20pictures/P091209_201033.jpg

I'm the one on the right.

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had my makeup done probably 12-15 times (in store and private MUA) and while I've had some positive interaction with the artists the makeup was never even remotely done well. I've found MAC to be the absolute worst of them because they seem to have the "i know what I'm doing and you don't" attitude. They started piling on bronzer and matte black eyeshadow...

The biggest issue I've had is that the artists sometimes feel embarrassed working on me because most companies do not make products suitable for people with my complexion and that kinda puts them in a bad spot. 
While my skin isn't as lovely of a pale shade as yours, I'm still pretty pale and always have to argue with folks who think I should use self-tanner and bronzers. They don't seem to grasp that I LIKE being pale.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While my skin isn't as lovely of a pale shade as yours, I'm still pretty pale and always have to argue with folks who think I should use self-tanner and bronzers. They don't seem to grasp that I LIKE being pale.

Yes EXACTLY!!!! They treat you like it's something that needs to be fixed or covered up and it gets me so angry. What's worse Is I live in south Fl so EVERYONE is/wants to be tan here yr round so most MUA's in the area can't grasp the idea of anyone choosing to be pale. The only exception I've come across are the folks who work at my sephora....they are absolutely wonderful. They have tried so hard to find a product to match my skintone (to no avail), but have never treated it as "they don't need lighter products, you just need a tan". Every time I go in and they have a new product they get excited and immediately have me try it out hoping it's a match lol. 

Originally Posted by Amber Blevins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes EXACTLY!!!! They treat you like it's something that needs to be fixed or covered up and it gets me so angry. What's worse Is I live in south Fl so EVERYONE is/wants to be tan here yr round so most MUA's in the area can't grasp the idea of anyone choosing to be pale. The only exception I've come across are the folks who work at my sephora....they are absolutely wonderful. They have tried so hard to find a product to match my skintone (to no avail), but have never treated it as "they don't need lighter products, you just need a tan". Every time I go in and they have a new product they get excited and immediately have me try it out hoping it's a match lol. 
Being originally from SoBe, I get it. I totally do. It's just as bad here in Phoenix. At least in LA, there's a LITTLE more acceptance of it. A little.

And you've probably tried the Asian markets for colors that are more suited, right? I had pretty decent luck with Japanese products when I lived there.

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Being originally from SoBe, I get it. I totally do. It's just as bad here in Phoenix. At least in LA, there's a LITTLE more acceptance of it. A little.

And you've probably tried the Asian markets for colors that are more suited, right? I had pretty decent luck with Japanese products when I lived there.

Don't ask why, but I hate shopping online especially for cosmetics I can't try beforehand or if I'm not familiar with the brand. The best I've found is to purchase a white color correcting foundation, then mix it into an existing foundation that is the correct tone for my skin. I like Manic Panic's goth foundation a lot and it's only like $12. I'm completely set when It comes to my personal makeup collection, it would just be nice to go to a "professional" MUA and actually have my makeup done masterfully..... not have my face spackled with bronzer lol. 

Yes, I did it for my wedding. I loved it, and it was expensive (don't remember exactly how much), but totally worth it!

Originally Posted by Beautyonista /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I did it for my wedding. I loved it, and it was expensive (don't remember exactly how much), but totally worth it!

I'm glad that your makeup for your wedding worked out well! 

It would be awful to pay someone to do your makeup on such a big day and have it turn out awful- talk about a nightmare!

I got mine done the day after my birthday in Sephora. It was fine other then the foundation they used was waaaaaaaaaay too dark but i kind of expected. I'll probably get it done again because it was fun to see what other people would do on me. 

Back