Have you ever had your makeup done by an artist?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For what occasion, and how much? Were you satisfied with the end result, and felt was worth it?

I was wondering around in Macy's a couple years back and came across the MAC counter. There was this really awesome rocker chic standing there and we got to talking about some of the colors that were on display. She asked if I wanted to have my make up done, her appt for the time slot had canceled so I said why not.

It took an hour (mostly cause I kept asking questions and wanting to look at different things) but I absolutely loved it and bought a few things right then and there. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Here's what a MAC MUA did to me a few years ago. WAY too dark foundation, yep. The eyes were fine, but not much different from how I normally do them.

And, yes, I've posted THIS picture before, but the MUA has won a ton of awards for her work on DWTS, so I can't complain. Obviously, they were going for a much different look than MAC was!

And while it's small, here's what she did the second day:

Of the three, honestly, my favorite is the third one, since I like a darker lip a lot of the time. The MAC one just made me look..painted. The second pic was almost TOO natural. The third...a LOT closer to how I do my stuff on a daily basis (since I often do a very subtle eye for work)

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That MAC one is awful! What was she thinking?? D: the other two are gorgeous though!

Yeah, exactly. I've been hesitant to let a MAC gal touch my face ever since, because it's OBVIOUS that I'm very pale and LIKE IT THAT WAY, ya know?

And the Jeopardy! gal was amazing. Really sweet and funny. And, hey, I LOVE that my first day was the day that it was announced she'd won some award for the DWTS work. I wish I could remember which one. I DO wish they'd had a hair girl, too, though. LOL

@calexxia: I am shocked that any MUA would choose that foundation for you!!

I've had my makeup done at the MAC store nearby a few times, and it's always been super fun!

Originally Posted by amoxirat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@calexxia: I am shocked that any MUA would choose that foundation for you!!

I've had my makeup done at the MAC store nearby a few times, and it's always been super fun!
This was the MAC counter at Nordstrom's. It was fun, but.....I could have done BETTER on my own, honestly.

Oh, and now y'all know why I have NO idea what my MAC foundation number is.

if you consider the ladies at sephora makeup artists, then yes. I was recommended (and subsequently bought) products I didn't like, and I didn't really feel that their application was any better than mine would have been

When I was in high school, I got my makeup done for prom by this MUA who did the makeup for beauty pageant girls. It was airbrushed, cakey, and too dark for me. When I got home I cried and cried, and then I washed off the goop on my face and my mom did my makeup, which looked so, so, soooo much better!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, exactly. I've been hesitant to let a MAC gal touch my face ever since, because it's OBVIOUS that I'm very pale and LIKE IT THAT WAY, ya know?

And the Jeopardy! gal was amazing. Really sweet and funny. And, hey, I LOVE that my first day was the day that it was announced she'd won some award for the DWTS work. I wish I could remember which one. I DO wish they'd had a hair girl, too, though. LOL

omg lol I was like "...IS THAT ALEX TREBEK?!!" I am soooo jealous. I love jeopardy, I just took the test in January, so now I'm patiently waiting lol. 

I had it done by a Nordstrom MAC girl once. It looked good, but was probably too yellow for me. I bought, and wore, yellow foundation for a while before I finally gave it to my SIL.

omg lol I was like "...IS THAT ALEX TREBEK?!!" I am soooo jealous. I love jeopardy, I just took the test in January, so now I'm patiently waiting lol. 
Well, it was a year after taking the online test that I got the call to go to LA for the interview/audition (they do those more frequently than other areas), and then it was in July that I was contacted to come in in August to tape, and then it aired in October, to give you an idea of timeframes. (This was year before last, btw). Alex was nice enough, but the crew were hilarious. It was definitely a fun couple of days.....although I have to pay the taxes on my winning soon....meh.

Well, it was a year after taking the online test that I got the call to go to LA for the interview/audition (they do those more frequently than other areas), and then it was in July that I was contacted to come in in August to tape, and then it aired in October, to give you an idea of timeframes. (This was year before last, btw). Alex was nice enough, but the crew were hilarious. It was definitely a fun couple of days.....although I have to pay the taxes on my winning soon....meh.
at least you won, lol! I figured based on the time frame they gave when they took the test (and what I know about bureacracy) it'd be at least 18 months before I got on a show, if I ever make it that far. I always tell people I majored in jeopardy though, so I am pretty good at it, hahaa.

at least you won, lol! I figured based on the time frame they gave when they took the test (and what I know about bureacracy) it'd be at least 18 months before I got on a show, if I ever make it that far. I always tell people I majored in jeopardy though, so I am pretty good at it, hahaa.

It's definitely a unique experience! And, remember, if you make it on, as long as you aren't negative going into FJ, you get at least a grand. LOL. (I won 24,800 my first episode, and tanked it the second one, so all I got that day was the grand)

MAC did this to me:

And Urban Decay did this to me:

Oh and and someone for my sister's wedding did this to me:

The only finished open eyed I can find is this I think

(I love how I say "did this to me: LOL)

I'm un sure of how I feel about them, I don't know.  I think the MAC is pretty though.

I've had my makeup done probably 12-15 times (in store and private MUA) and while I've had some positive interaction with the artists the makeup was never even remotely done well. I've found MAC to be the absolute worst of them because they seem to have the "i know what I'm doing and you don't" attitude. They started piling on bronzer and matte black eyeshadow....The makeup was so bad I actually stopped them like 15 minutes in and walked over to the clinique counter pleading for help. And as you all know im not someone to shy away from extreme makeup looks so trust me when I say it was BAD. I looked like friggin snooki

The biggest issue I've had is that the artists sometimes feel embarrassed working on me because most companies do not make products suitable for people with my complexion and that kinda puts them in a bad spot. the worst is when they don't want to admit they don't have my color and just layer on something too dark hoping I won't notice if they blend it far enough down my neck and chest. Usually when I see them swatching products on my cheek and shoot me a look like 
icon_scratch.gif
.....I know it's time to go home and do my own makeup lol. They always just do eyes and lips and send me on my way.

I just don't see the point in paying money to go to a professional when they can't even provide me with a full face of makeup 
nixweiss.gif

It's definitely a unique experience! And, remember, if you make it on, as long as you aren't negative going into FJ, you get at least a grand. LOL. (I won 24,800 my first episode, and tanked it the second one, so all I got that day was the grand)

haha, good to keep in mind! I definitely wouldn't mind walking away with $1000! 

Yeah from the MAC counter. I wouldn't necessarily classify them as "artists" tho. Once I asked for a smokey eye. When she was done I looked in the mirror and started laughing. I LOOKED HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back