Have you ever taken simple luxuries for granted...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...and then started to really appreciate what it was when you lost it?

I definitely have. I used to take electricity so much for granted, until I was a young teenager and my dad decided to stop paying the bills and only spend money on other women, their kids, and what he wanted. I remember running fevers, with no heat, and my bedroom was over a very drafty garage. It sucked!

I also took a washing machine and dryer for granted as well. I don't have a washer or dryer, and the nearest laundromat...no idea where it is. So, I wash all of my clothes in my sink, and leave it outside to dry. It's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes.

you?

Originally Posted by Solimar /img/forum/go_quote.gif .
I also took a washing machine and dryer for granted as well. I don't have a washer or dryer, and the nearest laundromat...no idea where it is. So, I wash all of my clothes in my sink, and leave it outside to dry. It's kind of a pain in the ass since some heavier things don't dry out in one day!

you?

Oh I can definitely relate on that one! I don't have a washer or dryer either. My friend let me use hers twice, but she lives about 20 minutes away, so it's not easy to get there. Other times I have had to go to my roommate's parents house and do my laundry there. They have one of those old fashioned spinner washers and no dryer at all!
I try not to take anything for granted anymore, especially my internet! All I had for 6 months was dialup and it was just crazy!

I also took Toronto and all the great things within Toronto for granted. The malls, the anonymity, the MAC stores! I miss it so much now that I'm in the boonies!

oh yes. that's jsut a simple thing, but when i was kid, mom would make my bed so when i came home from school, i wouldn't have to do it. same for the laundry, i have to wash my clothes myself most of the time, and we don't have a dryer, so it takes more time to have them dry.

i'm also a bookworm and back when i was living in Brittany there wasn't a library there so i had to buy all my books at the local newspaper/magazines shops, or drive for one hour to find a good bookstore. and Paris is the only town where you can watch movies in english, so i really missed that too.

Nothing bad has happened to me...though I remember one time in HS when I didn't have my cell phone for a week and it sucked. After having a cell phone since sixth grade, it was odd not having one.

3 years ago when all the hurricanes were pounding Florida, I lost electricity for 8 days and no generator. It was early September and very hot and humid. No cell phone for 2 days. I thought I was gonna die. I knew then that I would never have made it as a pioneer woman.

it was a luxury to live at home!

i never cooked washed ironed cleaned or lifted a finger.

now i do all those things for 2 people.

funny thing is they arent so hard but when a kid comes along ill shoot myself.

i also took for granted beeing thin when i was young. now i lost that and miss it so so much
frown.gif

Definitely!! For about 4 years I had no washer or dryer either. I worked nights so my laundry would pile up for weeks. Once I finally got to go to a Laundry mat I would end up spending $60!! I am sooo thankful to have a washer and dryer now.

here are some of mine.

since i moved:

dishwasher

washer

dryer

someone to cook for me

randomness:

-going to the middle east makes you love and be happy we got reg. toilets here and not holes in the ground

-those few years as a kid when i had knees in great shape.

I don't take anything that runs on electricity for granted because I personally know how much coal this country produces to generate that power.... 1.1 billion tons!!! and growing every year!! probably only have 100 to 200 years of coal left so someone better come up with an alternitive pretty soon!!!

Karren

Back