HELP!!! I'm trying to enter the complex world of makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well this is my 1st time doing this so please bear with me. My name's Brittany. I'm 16 years old, light-skinned African American with normal/combination skin I think. You see, I'm having a difficulty with makeup. For one thing, I have no idea where to start. But I know that I want to at least know my way around a makeup kit of sorts because as a young lady growing up, I want to start experimenting with this stuff. I know I'm probably kinda late with this but I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out with my issue. I have prom this year and other things coming up and I want to be able to do my own makeup. I'm on a budget so I would like for it to be cost-friendly with good quality, comes in lots of shades, and not that hard to do since I'm a beginner.Can someone give me suggestions as to what kind of makeup would be good for me? 

Welcome and i hope you have fun with makeup from now on. 

When i started on makeup i started with a pressed powder that will cover me an my foundation and powder. One of the best that will cover you well are the Milani ones. Then grab a concealer. I used to use the Loreal True match brand because the cover a lot also their powder true match is really good.

If you need a foundation Revlon colorstay is good and they have one specific for combination skin :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> For bronzer i will suggest the ELF Contouring blush and bronzer. Thats what i use on my everyday its super pigmented and only $3.

Now for the eyes, elf primer is really good for before your eyeshadow, and for eyeshadows there are nyx, wet n wild, covergirl that are pretty inexpensive and you can get buy one get one half price if you check cvs and walgreens week deals. For liner i will say the milani liquifye in black thats the best drugstore one but there are also many others out there and less expensive.

and for lips it depends on what you like and want. If you like lipstick the revlon are good and if you like lipbalms loreal and revlon has those.

I hope this helps you and if you have any questions just ask :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You have combo skin? First, take good care of your skin and find a routine that works. At 16, maybe you don't want a full face of foundation. If you want to try it, do oil free. Powders are a personal choice and while they help set concealer, they can age you. I'd recommend a tinted moisturizer and concealer if needed. But I like the dewy skin look lol. Wet N Wild have some good pigment pay offs with their shadows and so does ELF. Also, they are affordable. Both have palettes with multiple products and ELF makes cheap makeup tools to help with application. What kind of look are you going for? Also, YouTube is the best for video tutorials and stuff. I still search and learn new tricks there. But if you have a specific event coming up, I'd go to a local mall and see if you can make an appointment at Mac or another makeup counter for a makeover and demo. My girlfriends and I do that for special nights out a few times a year! Good luck and if you want more info, just ask!

Thanks you guys for all of your help :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. The thing is I only have combination skin during certain parts of the year so its kinda hard to figure out what kind of skin care routine would work for me ( I rarely get combination skin). Does ELF come in stores like Walmart and Walgreen's  (I'm on a budget)? I want to go to the mall for a demo but my mom is kinda critical about it yet she points out my blemishes which kinda hurt my self-esteem. For now i want to do a more natural look. Some people told me that Covergirl and Maybelline would be good ones but would you suggest those brands for me??

If you're looking to just cover blemishes, you could just do concealer and a tinted moisturizer. Plus, you don't want to clog your pores any more! ELF is available at my local Target, but alot of times, I order online because they do alot of promos and super cheap! They range from $1 on up, which is great for any budget!

I'd go to any big box store(Target, WalMart) or the Walgreens and places and look. Plus, grab a Sunday paper and look for coupons because all the drug store brands usually put out coupons once a month or so offering up to a dollar off item purchases. Depending on your skin tone, look for lip balms/butters/glosses and maybe a blush for color. I like a natural look and stick to nudes and stuff for every day wear, with a pop of mascara! Covergirl, Maybelline, Hard Candy, Wet N Wild, Jane, ELF and Revlon are all common brands I like and have purchased in the past.

If you only breakout on occasion, you still want to moisturize. So maybe try a cream cleanser, which is easier on the face. Nuetrogena makes a great one or Clean N Clear. Use a basic moisturizer with SPF and always remove your makeup lol..which we all forget to do at some point.

Latest posts

Back