help me identify this movie!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i remember it from my childhood, so anywhere from 1983-1988 ish. i would vividly remember anything after that. there are bears, or small furry creatures of some sort. a few get taken into captivity and are held in a sterile looking room. they try to steal some sort of berries or fruit from a tree or plant under a glass bell jar. i remember the villains as being really scary.

Is this an animated movie or a "live" movie? Can you describe what the villians looked like? I saw a lot of those movies and it's vaguely familiar but I can't make a connection yet!

it was live action, with people in bear/furry thing suits. i *think* it was fantasy or sci fi. i believe the villains were women. at the very least, their costumes were over the top, and they were really mean to the bear things.

Okay, I'm thinking if you were really young your parents wouldn't let you watch anything wilder than PG, right? Unless you snuck HBO late at night, LOL!

Do any of these titles ring a bell:

Legend (Tom Cruise, Tim Curry)

Dark Crystal (Jim Henson film)

The Ewok Adventure

Labyrinth

I am so not sure about this movie!

Originally Posted by haloinrverse it was live action, with people in bear/furry thing suits. i *think* it was fantasy or sci fi. i believe the villains were women. at the very least, their costumes were over the top, and they were really mean to the bear things.

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Okay, I'm thinking if you were really young your parents wouldn't let you watch anything wilder than PG, right? Unless you snuck HBO late at night, LOL!
Do any of these titles ring a bell:

Legend (Tom Cruise, Tim Curry)

Dark Crystal (Jim Henson film)

The Ewok Adventure

Labyrinth

I am so not sure about this movie!

What about "Gremlins" or "Willow"?

oh heck, it couldve been rated r (silver bullet was one of my childhood faves) but it def wasnt gremlins, willow, labyrinth, dark crystal, or legend. ive seen all of those fairly recently. it quite possible couldve been ewok adventure, so im off to look that up. thanks girls!

i looked up ewoks and the marauders of endor/ewoks 2: the battle for endor (made for tv movie) and the ewok adventure, and neither of them look like theyre it. i remember that in one of them, one of the kids gets trapped under some magic pond, and they need some magic stick to get out. im pretty sure that this didnt happen in the movie im trying to remember. if only i knew some star wars geeks! lol. i have been wondering for *years* which movie this is that i remember.

HR Puff-n-Stuff?
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by haloinrverse

i remember it from my childhood, so anywhere from 1983-1988 ish. i would vividly remember anything after that.
there are bears, or small furry creatures of some sort. a few get taken into captivity and are held in a sterile looking room. they try to steal some sort of berries or fruit from a tree or plant under a glass bell jar.

i remember the villains as being really scary.

lol. definitely not hr puff n stuff. it was a bit before my time. ive seen it tho, and def not it.

"H.R. Pufnstuff

Who's your friend when things get rough?

H.R. Pufnstuff

Can't do a little 'cuz he can't do enough!"

Yay!
smile.gif

That show SCARED me when I was a kid. I think it was the go-go boot wearing cowboy dinosaur that did me in.

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea "H.R. Pufnstuff Who's your friend when things get rough?

H.R. Pufnstuff

Can't do a little 'cuz he can't do enough!"

Yay!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish That show SCARED me when I was a kid. I think it was the go-go boot wearing cowboy dinosaur that did me in. That would scare me too.
x-img189.gif
How come I've never heard of "HR Puff"? Never ever heard of it. Woah... am I ever feeling out of it now. LOL.
So Halo... did you figure out which movie you are thinking of?

015image2.jpg

i still cant figure it out.
frown.gif
hr puffnstuff was this frightening creature with an encephalitic looking head. he was the sidekick of a kid names jimmy, i believe. the kid had a magic talking flute (again, creepy) and there was a witch who always tried to steal the flute.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse i still cant figure it out.
frown.gif
hr puffnstuff was this frightening creature with an encephalitic looking head. he was the sidekick of a kid names jimmy, i believe. the kid had a magic talking flute (again, creepy) and there was a witch who always tried to steal the flute. Sounds to me like the flute was really a pipe and that they were actually "puffnstuff." That's why the creature with the huge head wore go-go boots. Your sense of fashion goes out the door when you are puffin'. That's also why Jimmy and the creature hallucinate and see witches. Wow, this is reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland after the shroom trip.

Now that we're on the H.R. Pufnstuf theme...here's some info on its "dark side"!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2926.html

[i forgot to add the link to the article!!!! Sorry cannabisculture!]

2926-Pufnstuf_clipped.jpg

Readers who were watching kids' TV during the early 1970's will remember a psychedelically strange show called H.R. Pufnstuf. Like many good things from that era, H.R. Pufnstuf was full of nods to the prevailing stoner counter-culture, and included many sly pot and drug references which most of us likely missed as children.

Launched in 1969, the Summer of Love, the show revolved around the adventures of Jimmy, a young boy trapped on the magical Living Island, where virtually every object, animal and plant can talk and move. In each of the 17 zany episodes, the evil Witchiepoo tries to steal Jimmy's talking golden flute, named Freddy, while Jimmy tries to escape the island and return home. Jimmy is protected and guided by the island's Mayor – a friendly dragon named H.R. Pufnstuf – and his many friends.

Aside from the extremely colorful and trippy imagery, there were many aspects to the popular show which, to the initiated, revealed its essentially stoney nature.

The main clue is the title character, H.R. Pufnstuf, whose last name sounds a lot like "Puffing stuff." The title "H.R." is never explained on the show, and many interpreted it as code for "Hand Rolled," with Pufnstuf's title of Mayor also being short for "marijuana." Pufnstuf is green with red hair, just like cannabis buds.

The theme song of the show gave another strong hint at stoner subtext, with the following chorus being repeated a few times, both at the beginning and end of the show. The last line seems out of context unless seen as a pot reference:

H.R. Pufnstuf, who's your friend when things get rough?

H.R. Pufnstuf, can't do a little, 'cause you can't do enough!

Although the marijuana and drug references are sometimes subtle, they are laced throughout the entire series. Some highlights include Witchiepoo offering a minion a "roach beef sandwich," Freddy the Flute getting turned into a magic mushroom, Pufnstuf telling Cling and Clang to "stop sniffing" the magic smoke, and Jimmy dosing Witchiepoo with a Love Potion.

When the Pufnstuf crew film a movie, Jimmy plays Black Bart – a name also used at the time as a slang term for pot.

The evil Witchiepoo regularly uses drugs to mess with the good guys. In one episode she hits up the Pufnstuf gang with "laughing gas," a magic smoke pouring from her saxophone. She goes to each person and blasts them with smoke – they burst into laughter, soon followed by a heavy sleep.

In other episodes Witchiepoo plies the good guys with spiked "Campfire Granny" chocolate treats, and uses "love gas" to win the island folk to her side.

2926-More-Pufnstuf.jpg

OMG. LOL. I'd never even seen it and those darn hippies are so predictable. Oh well. Many of them can't even remember that far back any more. Kitty, this was great info- fun to read. There's always a story behind a story!

You're rockin on da board!

- Cali

321banner3.jpg

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Now that we're on the H.R. Pufnstuf theme...here's some info on its "dark side"!

2926-Pufnstuf_clipped.jpg

Readers who were watching kids' TV during the early 1970's will remember a psychedelically strange show called H.R. Pufnstuf. Like many good things from that era, H.R. Pufnstuf was full of nods to the prevailing stoner counter-culture, and included many sly pot and drug references which most of us likely missed as children.

Launched in 1969, the Summer of Love, the show revolved around the adventures of Jimmy, a young boy trapped on the magical Living Island, where virtually every object, animal and plant can talk and move. In each of the 17 zany episodes, the evil Witchiepoo tries to steal Jimmy's talking golden flute, named Freddy, while Jimmy tries to escape the island and return home. Jimmy is protected and guided by the island's Mayor – a friendly dragon named H.R. Pufnstuf – and his many friends.

Aside from the extremely colorful and trippy imagery, there were many aspects to the popular show which, to the initiated, revealed its essentially stoney nature.

The main clue is the title character, H.R. Pufnstuf, whose last name sounds a lot like "Puffing stuff." The title "H.R." is never explained on the show, and many interpreted it as code for "Hand Rolled," with Pufnstuf's title of Mayor also being short for "marijuana." Pufnstuf is green with red hair, just like cannabis buds.

The theme song of the show gave another strong hint at stoner subtext, with the following chorus being repeated a few times, both at the beginning and end of the show. The last line seems out of context unless seen as a pot reference:

H.R. Pufnstuf, who's your friend when things get rough?

H.R. Pufnstuf, can't do a little, 'cause you can't do enough!

Although the marijuana and drug references are sometimes subtle, they are laced throughout the entire series. Some highlights include Witchiepoo offering a minion a "roach beef sandwich," Freddy the Flute getting turned into a magic mushroom, Pufnstuf telling Cling and Clang to "stop sniffing" the magic smoke, and Jimmy dosing Witchiepoo with a Love Potion.

When the Pufnstuf crew film a movie, Jimmy plays Black Bart – a name also used at the time as a slang term for pot.

The evil Witchiepoo regularly uses drugs to mess with the good guys. In one episode she hits up the Pufnstuf gang with "laughing gas," a magic smoke pouring from her saxophone. She goes to each person and blasts them with smoke – they burst into laughter, soon followed by a heavy sleep.

In other episodes Witchiepoo plies the good guys with spiked "Campfire Granny" chocolate treats, and uses "love gas" to win the island folk to her side.

2926-More-Pufnstuf.jpg

Latest posts

Back