Help me stop spending

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seriously guys, I need help. I have been spending waaaay too much money (guess 3 times on what). This month I had to pay student loans and a bunch of other bills, meaning I didn't really have room for any luxury purchases. But guess what, I went out and got me some MAC anyway. Now I need to borrow money from our saving account just to make it until the next paycheck.

I don't like being such a spendthrift. I mean, I don't want to be cheap either, I want to indulge myself once in a while. But now it's almost like a compulsion. I know I don't NEED the latest MAC stuff, but I get it anyway. And then I feel guilty about it and don't even enjoy it that much.

Next month will therefore be "economical month" for me. No unnecessary purchases. I'll also put a big chunk back in our savings, because they are getting pretty meager now and it's mostly my fault. On October 31st I'll be allowed to make some (unnecessary) purchases, but not before then.

But I will need support! Please ladies and gents, help me through this. No more spending! And if you have any tips on how to save money, please share them
smile.gif

Thanks!

Good luck Karen! I could never do it.

Hm...first step...maybe change your signature?
biggrin.gif

Set up your priorities - remember, what's important , the newest mu or your bills? Think of makeup as a 'prize' if you save money after paying everything

I totally feel you Karen!! You should go on a no-buy and then when you achieve your goal....have haul!!

Well, I do always pay my bills first before I buy any makeup. But it's not good to be flat broke 4 days after you got paid, when it's 24 days until you get paid again.

I think I will start leaving my bank card at home. That way I won't be able to buy anything, even if I want to. I'll also start doing things that I enjoy that are free or really cheap, like knitting (I have lots of yarn and projects I want to start and finish), reading, watching films on dvd (we have a ton at home we haven't seen yet) and stuff like that.

Benebaby, that's another reason I want to save - MAC holiday collection, LOL!

Aplsmash, yeah maybe I should change my sig to "If you want it, make sure you can afford it", ha ha!

I feel the same way sometimes. I'm at the store and end up buying something although I know I shouldn't really buy it. I just start thinking that I will be getting more money in my bank account soon anyway and that I could cut some other expenses in my life...yeah right!!

The only thing that helps me is that I stay away from the makeup and clothing stores for a while. When I don't see it, I don't buy it!
wink.gif

Due to student loans and a recent move, I'm on a tight budget myself. Lately, I've been taking a specified amount of cash each month for my luxury items (makeup, clothes, scrapbook supplies, magazines...anything I don't NEED) and I don't allow myself to pay for things with debit or credit. This is a much easier way to keep track of my budget AND it still allows me to treat myself.

Good luck, hun.
biggrin.gif

No-buys kinda work, but sometimes when you come off of a no-buy you go way too overboard. So you have to watch. I do anyway. The holiday collection is going to tempt us all, and with the exception of new vegas msf from mcqueen, I'm done until the holiday collection.

I was a terrible spender though. I never used credit cards, always my debit account, but still I've been known to spend almost a thousand dollars a month on makeup, only after all my bills are paid. Which is good, because I don't owe money to anyone, but just think of all the money I could've been SAVING. It helps to waitress and bartend though. It's the greatest part-time job that gives you full time pay.

I counted my tips from last night, and for working 4 hours, I made 38 dollars per hour. You can't beat that when it's cash. It was a slow night too.

I too am totally guility of over spending
frown.gif
It's mainly on makeup and skincare. Maybe if i stop visiting MUT i will be able to quit....LOL

for whatever unecessary purchase you buy, immediately put twice the amount in your savings.

I know what you're going through. There is always something you don't have and you want to add it to your collection. The problem is: you can't afford to buy everything you see that is new and exciting. It's best not to go cold turkey when modifying your spending habit. Make a budget for yourself and allow some money for yourself to buy a frivolity. This may mean scaling down your makeup purchases to fewer. In fact, it definitely means that.

There is a thrill in buying new things. Somehow you have to shift that good feeling to something else. Exercise is a natural choice. It can also give you that feeling of getting something for yourself.

You need to feel satisfied, Karen. You may even be able to admit to yourself that buying all that makeup does not produce the emotions you are seeking.

Another thing you can do is to focus on what you have now. Organize it. Use it. Enjoy it. That won't cost you anything.

You can do this! Keep making baby steps in the right direction and you can save your budget and have some pretty sparkly new things once in a while, too.

With love,

Ruthie

Good luck Karen! I'm in the same boat as you! not only am I used to spending more money, my hours have gone down, meaning that I essentially am earning less than half of what I was, so that's made things really hard. I'm on the look out for a new job.

We can non-spend together
smile.gif

Thanks so much for your support and advice!

I have thought a little about this, and apart from doing fun things that are free or cheap, I'm going to let myself splurge responsibly (a bit of an oxymoron, but still). For example: A dept store chain here has this "club" that you can join. Well, on 28th-30th of september they give club members a 20% discount on an item of choice - so I'll go buy a new mascara then and use the discount for that. They also send out vouchers (if you've spent enough) so I have a voucher for like 5 dollars, meaning I could get a MAC e/s for only 9 bucks, for instance. I figure it's better to let myself buy a few things, otherwise I'll just go nuts when my no-buy ends.

I am of no help whatsoever because I suck at this kind of stuff. I am ALWAYS spending loads and heaps of money on all kinds of stuff.
frown.gif

Well like you said already leave your credit card and debit card at home and just stay away from the cosmetic stores.. Just have a minimum amount of cash in your purse at any one time... And what I do, instead of going shopping for something I don't need.. I go take a walk, a hike or a bike ride!! That way your not spending money and your doing something good for your body at the same time.. A two-fer!!!

Karren

Originally Posted by frumwannabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know what you're going through. There is always something you don't have and you want to add it to your collection. The problem is: you can't afford to buy everything you see that is new and exciting. It's best not to go cold turkey when modifying your spending habit. Make a budget for yourself and allow some money for yourself to buy a frivolity. This may mean scaling down your makeup purchases to fewer. In fact, it definitely means that.
There is a thrill in buying new things. Somehow you have to shift that good feeling to something else. Exercise is a natural choice. It can also give you that feeling of getting something for yourself.

You need to feel satisfied, Karen. You may even be able to admit to yourself that buying all that makeup does not produce the emotions you are seeking.

Another thing you can do is to focus on what you have now. Organize it. Use it. Enjoy it. That won't cost you anything.

You can do this! Keep making baby steps in the right direction and you can save your budget and have some pretty sparkly new things once in a while, too.

With love,

Ruthie

Ruthie,Your advice was excellent! I need to heed it as well=)

Make up is important... Fast food is not.

Mortgage/rent is important...First run movies are not.

Groceries are important...Starbucks coffee is not

Spending money on priorities is important. Decide what should be a priority.

"And then I feel guilty about it and don't even enjoy it that much"

How I feel! Good Luck. I couldnt do it!

Latest posts

Back