Help!!! Need to make a decision

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys I am new here. I am not a professional make up artist YET but just been doing small gigs here and there. I am trying to get my make up storage up for a little less. I love mac but cant always afford it. I meet a women who sells mary kay and she offered me $400 hundred dollars worth of product for $200 on her website but I only have a few of their products that I use now. Or whatever I want for 50% off. I am not experienced with them. So do you think its a good idea or no? What are the good, bad, and ugly of the make up line? Do you think clients will like it. What about their skin care?Blessing,Cindyoh and thanks in advance

I have been doing makeup and training people for more than two decades, and am always glad to give advice.

When you go to the super market do you follow people home to buy the moldy left overs in the fridge?

Why would you want to buy some used makeup that you have no idea where and how it was stored or whose fingers or dog licked it.

Try some Loreal True Match foundations W's & N's a light, medium and dark or a little Revlon Color Stay. You only need about 2 to 3 concealers. A no color powder and one for darker skin. Try some rimmel eye shadows and cheek colors. you are always safe with neutral colors ; beige's, browns,mocha's, Carmel's a light and dark yellow. The cheek color should be a warm based pink and a color somewhere between peach and pink.

Don't worry about a box, use a suit case, like so many makeup artists do and keep things organized with zip lock or small plastic containers.

Don't get hung up on labels you are not selling product, buy what works, many many cosmetic companies are owned by LVMH or Lauder,this includes the drug store ones as well, so how different can all the products on the market be.  

I like some of Mary Kay's products, but I'm not familiar with their entire line. They have good foundations, mascara, and brow gel.

I agree with studiomakeup in that you can build up your storage for less money with some inexpensive product lines. I love Rimmel's lip colors; their formula is my favorite.

I like some of Mary Kay's products, but I'm not familiar with their entire line. 

I know it seems like a good deal, but the chances of every item you buy being successful are slim to none. When you think about it, typically the most expensive investment in your kit is the foundation because you have to cover a wide range of skin tones. I'd recommend using the bulk of that $200 to buy high quality foundation palettes that can double as concealer. Graftobian, Cinema Secrets, RCMA all make highly pigmented foundations that will cover just about anything.With the rest, you could quite possibly buy La Femme blush palette, some Yaby shadows, a Kryolan mini lip rouge palette, and perhaps some disposable tools you might need. 

As for storage, use a suitcase and clear traveling bags if you have them available to you.

Everything I mentioned is sold at camerareadycosmetics.com. Apply for pro artist pricing, and you can typically get a few dollars off of most products.

After you have the framework of your kit, you can fill in with other mainstream products (MAC, MUFE, etc.), as you see fit, with the money you get from jobs along the way. 

Good luck!

I'm definitely nthing the idea to apply for pro-memberships thorugh various companies as the way to go. 

Personally, I really do NOT like Mary Kay makeup.  I love their body stuff, but I personally think their makeup is horrible.  I've had major issues in both wear and pigmentation throughout the whole line.  Now granted, I haven't tried any of their stuff recently, so they may have change their formulas.  I don't know, and I'm not keen on finding out, lol. 

Also, another thing to think about is this:  if I had hired you to do my makeup, and you pulled out a bunch of branded Mary Kay products, I would be furious.  Why?  Mary Kay is primarily sold through makeup parties, where the seller normaly comes in and does your makeup using the products as a demo.  For free.  I realize that your skills as a MUA are going to be greater than the average MK rep, and that is what I'd actually be paying for, but you're not going to find that acknowledgement from everyone.  Bad word of mouth will really hurt your fledgeling business.

I agree with studiomakeup in that you can build up your storage for less money with some inexpensive product lines. I love Rimmel's lip colors; their formula is my favorite.
Cost does not equal quality, and that's hard to drum into some people's heads, lol.  My favorite mineral foundation right now is actually Wet 'n' Wild's, and I think NYC has a nice foundation for $3.   

Latest posts

Back