Help picking a perfect red lip!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have medium dark golden skin  153 in Mufe. Syracuse in Nars.  My lips are not very full but not extremely thin.  Medium on the thin side. I am in my 50s but look younger.  I need a great red lip.   I would love something that wears well for a good long time.    Any ideas? 

I really like the NYX round lipsticks. 

I have EROS which is fire engine red and it lasts quiet awhile and I haven't noticed that it runs

I am really loving the Revlon Colorburst line right now. #095 Crimson is a very flattering neutral red that doesn't seem pink or orange on me at all. Just a true darker red that doesn't scare me to wear.

Higher end lippies I like are Clinique's Party Red and Guerlains Rouge Automatique in #120 Coque D'or. Those are both slightly metallic while the Revlon is not. And the Guerlain is more of a sheer wash of red. None stain the lips, which I prefer.

Doowop has a red called Code Red which is supposed to be universal and long wearing, but I didn't like it on me and it stained unevenly so I felt like I had to keep retouching it every hour or so. Hope this helps!!

edit - the Revlon wears great imo. I can't remember how the Clinique wears but the Guerlain is more like a MAC lip lustre formula so it doesn't really last very long...

Originally Posted by Sparklygem /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have medium dark golden skin  153 in Mufe. Syracuse in Nars.  My lips are not very full but not extremely thin.  Medium on the thin side. I am in my 50s but look younger.  I need a great red lip.   I would love something that wears well for a good long time.    Any ideas? 
Have you tried some of the demos at dept store counters? They'd give you a wide range of choices to try out.

Chanel Dragon!!! My issue with finding a red lipstick was that I, like you, have golden undertones (NARS Barcelona) so I need something with an orange base or else it looks icky on my skin.... but orange-based reds don't make my teeth look as white as a blue-based red. Chanel Dragon has neutral undertones so it looks great on everyone and makes my teeth look SUPER white. It feels like a creamy lipstick but has a glossy finish, and it has GREAT staying power. As in, I've never had to re-apply unless I was eating a whole lotta food. My lips are also medium (on the thinner side), and the glossiness makes them look a lot fuller. The applicator is also very precise. However, it was confirmed that it's being discontinued by Chanel so pick it up while you can! It's pricey, but I've had mine for a looong time and it hasn't gone bad yet =]

Here's a pic of it on me (no gloss!)

NARS also makes a matte (and slightly cheaper) alternative, the Indian Red lip stain. The color is very close to Dragon, but with a semi-matte finish. I prefer it during the day because it's less intense.

Wow some great leads here!  I am hitting the stores tomorrow.  Dragon looks great and I will try the revlon and nars.   Many thanks

I am really interested in that revlon crimson.  Then I am hitting the Nars counter. Thanks soooo much. I will take a look at these!   Jungle and indian both sound great! 

My favorite red lip colors (I own both of these) they are amazing:

Smashbox Cranberry Lipstick Pencil (It comes with a lip liner too) It's amazing. I use this almost all the time when I want to do a red lip. The color already has a little shine to it, but not much. 

MAC Russian Red (My favorite matte red lipstick) You can add your own shine to it, but I prefer without when I wear this. I'm not really a fan of shiny red lips anyways. 

I love the color of that smash box. MAC looks good too.  Yeah I like a more matte look as well.  Ty ! 

Doowop has a red called Code Red which is supposed to be universal and long wearing, but I didn't like it on me and it stained unevenly so I felt like I had to keep retouching it every hour or so. Hope this helps!!

I apologize! I just realized it's spelled DuWop and the correct lippie name is Private Red. It still may be worth checking out if you can find it because it has good reviews on MUA... Russian Red is def. an oldie but a goodie. My best friend in H/S was Spanish and had beautiful shiny black hair and pale skin and wore MAC's RR everyday. Gorgeousl!!

Napoleon Perdis Devine Goddess Lipstick in Aphrodite! Beautiful...and last a long time without being drying
smiletongue.gif

If you want something that wears all day, try a red lipstain (my fav os Maybelline Super Stay 24hr on All Day Cherry)

I LOVE illimasquas red lipsticks in maneater and box.great quality matte lipsticks and they dont get all over your teeth while you wear them. Also kat von d's Liqiud love outlast color in outlaw is a stunning red with a velvety matte finish

Latest posts

Back