Help w/ Color brassiness

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey im new to this board and ive gotten lots of tips from it! its great! well my hair right now is a dark brown (natural is light medium brown) but it has this red/orange brassy color look to it whenever im in the sun or light. is there anyway that i can get rid of this? i think i can get rid of it by dying it brown again but if theres other ways please help me out!
smile.gif
thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by PrettyGirlxO Hey im new to this board and ive gotten lots of tips from it! its great! well my hair right now is a dark brown (natural is light medium brown) but it has this red/orange brassy color look to it whenever im in the sun or light. is there anyway that i can get rid of this? i think i can get rid of it by dying it brown again but if theres other ways please help me out!
smile.gif
thanks in advance! Try to check out Loreal Tone Refiner. Look for reviews etc b/c I have yet to try it, but based on the info I read it seems like it would help.

Red is one of the hardest colors to remove... Especially if you are a brunette, when you lighten your hair or it oxidiezes, the next level is red. So you will be able to cover it, but it usually always comes back somewhat. If you go darker brown, after oxidation, you'll get dark auburn tones in the sun... if you do a medium brown, you'll see more of a amber color.... it's hard to get rid of them completely, unless you strip it and go lighter, or go really dark.
icon_confused.gif

You could try Aveda Blue malva shampoo, that gets rid of brassy tones in hair but I've only really heard about it being used on blonde or grey hair. Aveda do travel sizes of a lot of their products too so you might be able to try out a sample cheaply to see if it works.

Originally Posted by Lealabell You could try Aveda Blue malva shampoo, that gets rid of brassy tones in hair but I've only really heard about it being used on blonde or grey hair. Aveda do travel sizes of a lot of their products too so you might be able to try out a sample cheaply to see if it works. Do you know a place where i can get that at?

Originally Posted by eightthirty Try to check out Loreal Tone Refiner. Look for reviews etc b/c I have yet to try it, but based on the info I read it seems like it would help. I think i am going to try that out, I read about it on the loreal page but i couldnt find any reviews for it.

Originally Posted by PrettyGirlxO I think i am going to try that out, I read about it on the loreal page but i couldnt find any reviews for it. You might also try Loreal Hi Lift Browns.
hilift_brown_boxshades.jpg

Read the box for this info. I'm also trying to remove red. If you feel unsure or uneasy about doing anything call the toll free # on the back of the box and be prepared to tell them in detail what you've got and what you want. I'm el broko, so I just keep wearing my hair up, but I also know that you don't want ANYTHING that says golden or bronze in it as it will only increase the brassiness of your colour. I have noticed that the red still seeps through, but for me it's gradually disappearing with the use of ASH colors, though that don't look that great on the box, it has really helped.

Let me know what you decided and how it works.

L'oreal also has something called Tone Refiner. Looks like an at-home toner basically. Hi-Light Styliste Says it will tone down hair's dullness, brassiness and unwanted warmth and tune up hair's gloss, luster and shine.

Also search this you might find something that helps.

L'Oréal Paris USA

I haven't tried this yet, cause I can't find it anywhere. I have the same problem as you. Red comes out no matter what I do.
icon_frown.gif

BTW: I think L'oreal has one of the worst sites to navigate.

Originally Posted by PrettyGirlxO Hey im new to this board and ive gotten lots of tips from it! its great! well my hair right now is a dark brown (natural is light medium brown) but it has this red/orange brassy color look to it whenever im in the sun or light. is there anyway that i can get rid of this? i think i can get rid of it by dying it brown again but if theres other ways please help me out!
smile.gif
thanks in advance! I don't have any advice since I too have this problem at times but I just wanted to welcome you to MUT.

Hi

Right now, I am dying my hair blonde, and I had that same problem, my hair turned an orangy red in the light and it looked really bad. I did find something that works, I think it works for any hair color that you don't want to have that redness in it, its called unred and its a little tiny packet, the size of a penny that you put in your mix when you are dying your hair. So far, it has worked for me and I really like it. I got it at Sallys.

Girls girls girls, Brown hair has a natural tone of red in it (well most of them) if you don't want this you should stick with a ash tone (green tone, which cancels out red pigment).

Im going to go out and buy the Loreal Tone Refiner tomorrow and well c how that works out
icon_smile.gif
Thanks to all you ladies for your help!!
claps.gif

I just tried it out today and it wasnt how i expected!!
icon_frown.gif
it did not tone down the brassiness in my hair like it said it did it just left it smelling good and a little bit softer but thats about it. Do not try this out if u want to get rid of brassy hair, it will leave it the same as before!!! Well at least for me it did and my hair isnt that damaged...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by PrettyGirlxO I just tried it out today and it wasnt how i expected!!
icon_frown.gif
it did not tone down the brassiness in my hair like it said it did it just left it smelling good and a little bit softer but thats about it. Do not try this out if u want to get rid of brassy hair, it will leave it the same as before!!! Well at least for me it did and my hair isnt that damaged...
frown.gif
where did you buy the color? I've never heard of it before...?

I'm brunette too (except I did highlights recently). I really like the Aveda colored conditioner - there's one called bark or something like that. Or John Frieda has a color refresher that's good. Makes your hair look "just colored" again, not orange.

Latest posts

Back