HELP! Why won't it work for me? :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I've looked quite a ways back in these threads but I just can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I just got my sample of EM after trying Sheer Cover, and I just can not get mineral makeup to work for me. I use small amounts, I swirl the kabuki around, tap and...powdery face. I buff and buff and it just doesn't go anywhere, even after using mineral veil as a primer. You can see exactly where I put it and it looks...cakey, even after using every single tip I've been able to find and hardly any product. What is going on?? I really want to love this stuff but I can just not get this stuff to work
frown.gif
help

oh.. may be you can use in the wed method.

you have to sprit (?) how say that ? :)

you have to wet the kabuki alittle and after that to took a little amount of foundation and to puff and swirl.. maybe its work for you in that way..

I am no pro, but it sounds like you have a bad color match and you do need some product. I really don't buff all that much, either. Also, it takes a little while for the powders to mix with the oils in your skin and 'melt in'. Therefore, never judge a color until you have had it on for a while. Also, the drier your skin is, the more powdery it will look. Hydrate and moisturize your skin well. Many of the ingredients in MMU are quite drying. Hopefully others with more experience will come along. BTW, what type of finish are you trying in EDM?

I am very dry and mine looked like that when I first tried BE. Then I really moisturized and it looked so much better. Then I heard about EDM and they have the Original Glo, it says it is for people with dry skin, so I got it and I LOVE IT!!!.

I always apply it wet or I mix it with my moisturizer, I use a foundation brush that I got at CVS and it works really well. When I use the moisturizer though I just use my finger to apply it.

I would try to change the rountie you have for your makeup. I experienced the same at the beginning. I thought that mineral makeup is not for me.

You need to moistruize your face very well. As I have a combo skin I use a light serum under my thick sunscreen, which I apply with the drop of dimethicone to make it absorb better. It's really good method for winter months as the dimethicone locks the moisture in my skin. After the suncreen I apply a primer - as a primer I use smashbox photofinish with dermaxyl. I also use powder primer over gel primer to control oilies, but if you have dry skin you can skip that and apply a bit of mineral veil under your foundation.

As to applying I've learnt that wet method is working best for me. I spritz the kabuki with thermal water to make it damp and than i swirl it with the foundation - I tap the exces and gently apply it on the skin. I do not buff, while this do not work for me. As I finish applying foundation I spritz my face with thermal water and wait until it dries. I apply one dry coat foundation over it.

This method makes my face look flawless, but this method only works when you use a foundation which is your color match in other way it will just look strange. Futhermore EDM is not working for me at all and maybe sometimes it's worth to try other brands, which may work for you just fine.

Originally Posted by agatapas /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would try to change the rountie you have for your makeup. I experienced the same at the beginning. I thought that mineral makeup is not for me.
You need to moistruize your face very well. As I have a combo skin I use a light serum under my thick sunscreen, which I apply with the drop of dimethicone to make it absorb better. It's really good method for winter months as the dimethicone locks the moisture in my skin. After the suncreen I apply a primer - as a primer I use smashbox photofinish with dermaxyl. I also use powder primer over gel primer to control oilies, but if you have dry skin you can skip that and apply a bit of mineral veil under your foundation.

As to applying I've learnt that wet method is working best for me. I spritz the kabuki with thermal water to make it damp and than i swirl it with the foundation - I tap the exces and gently apply it on the skin. I do not buff, while this do not work for me. As I finish applying foundation I spritz my face with thermal water and wait until it dries. I apply one dry coat foundation over it.

This method makes my face look flawless, but this method only works when you use a foundation which is your color match in other way it will just look strange. Futhermore EDM is not working for me at all and maybe sometimes it's worth to try other brands, which may work for you just fine.

I moisturize 2x daily so I know it isn't a dry skin thing. I also use photo finish primer so it's not the dry skin that's the problem.

Maybe I will try applying it wet this time and see how it goes. Thanks!

Originally Posted by jward /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am no pro, but it sounds like you have a bad color match and you do need some product. I really don't buff all that much, either. Also, it takes a little while for the powders to mix with the oils in your skin and 'melt in'. Therefore, never judge a color until you have had it on for a while. Also, the drier your skin is, the more powdery it will look. Hydrate and moisturize your skin well. Many of the ingredients in MMU are quite drying. Hopefully others with more experience will come along. BTW, what type of finish are you trying in EDM? The colour seems perfect though. It's just that it like...'rests' on my skin. (This was also after a whole day of wearing it that I came to this conclusion).
I also moisturize 2x daily, use smashbox photo finish as a primer and everything. I defintely don't have dry skin.

I am trying the original glow finish since i don't like matte makeup.

Hydrating your skin is not the same as moisturizing. I actually spritz mine with hydrosol and then put on a moisturizer and bio oil.

Originally Posted by jward /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hydrating your skin is not the same as moisturizing. I actually spritz mine with hydrosol and then put on a moisturizer and bio oil. Oil on acne prone skin probably isn't the best idea in the world for this girl.

I have heard that jojoba oil is good for the skin prior to makeup, as it is a natural wax like our own skin oils, and doesn't clog the pores. Maybe that would be worth trying?It's supposed to help to balance out the skin oils. Not that I've tried it mind...
smile.gif

I hope you have more luck with it if you try it again.

Have you tried a different brush? I can't seem to get a kabuki to work right for me even if my life depended on it, but a flat top foundation brush works perfectly!

Originally Posted by Scooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have you tried a different brush? I can't seem to get a kabuki to work right for me even if my life depended on it, but a flat top foundation brush works perfectly! I agree that the brush makes all the difference. I've used the kabuki and it seems like my minerals go on so cakey. I've tried the flat top brush as well and like that. I just bought BE's flawless face and really like the look of that. You may have to try different brushes to get the look and coverage you want.
Minerals drive me so crazy sometimes. I feel as though it is hard to get the hang of it. Some days I love it and other days not.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Scooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have you tried a different brush? I can't seem to get a kabuki to work right for me even if my life depended on it, but a flat top foundation brush works perfectly! Can you show me an example of what a flat top foundation brush looks like? I only know MAC brushes and by their numbers :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey! To moisturize I would use some organic coconut oil as it helps with hydrating the skin and decreases breakouts it you are prone (I am :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) use just a little bit if you do. Also, how are you putting your MMU on? Are you swirling in a bowl? I find that this is the best method to really get the MM into the kabuki brush. Also, when you are done putting on your MMU you might try spraying water or, water mixed with oils, on your face with a spray bottle. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by Aataszi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey! To moisturize I would use some organic coconut oil as it helps with hydrating the skin and decreases breakouts it you are prone (I am :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) use just a little bit if you do. Also, how are you putting your MMU on? Are you swirling in a bowl? I find that this is the best method to really get the MM into the kabuki brush. Also, when you are done putting on your MMU you might try spraying water or, water mixed with oils, on your face with a spray bottle. Good Luck! I should try ans find some coconut oil. I thought all oils=breakouts which is not what I want! Do you use it every day?
I was just using the lid to swirl the brush in. I think it might be the kabuki though, I can't even get regular pressed powder to go on properly with a kabuki but I can with other brushes :S

I use organic coconut oil everyday in the morning before I put my makup on and at night when I take my makeup off and get ready for bed. I have not had a breakout in 6 months! I am sooo happy! You should really try it but make sure that you get the unfiltered organic kind otherwise it won't work.

As for the brush problem, I don't know why a kabuki isn't working for you. How long have you been using MMU? When I first started using MMU I could not get the kabuki brush to work and tried every other brush out there. Powder, foundation, fan, both wet and dry etc. However, after many months I finally figured out how to use the kabuki to get the best coverage I have ever had. Part of this is using the coconut oil before I put my makeup on as this taks care of the dry cakey look. The other part is using such a small amount of minerals for my whole face. I think that you are using too much. You really need only the barest amount. If you are not pleased with that look then you can build with other layers but it is best to start small. Well, besides all that remember to have fun with your MMU and try different things so you can work out the best method for yourself
smile.gif

I can't get minerals to work for me, either. I have tried several different brands, wet and dry, different brushes, etc. All of them have oxidized on me and none of them will blend well.

Latest posts

Back